DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-lumix-s-g-gf-gh-gx-series/)
-   -   Canon 100mm f2.8 FD mount lens (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-lumix-s-g-gf-gh-gx-series/493275-canon-100mm-f2-8-fd-mount-lens.html)

Brian Luce March 18th, 2011 03:18 PM

Canon 100mm f2.8 FD mount lens

So with very little shopping and even less research, I plucked a vintage Canon 100mm f2.8 FD from ebay for $75. I don't know if that's a good price or not, but it's a lot of lens for $75...that's for sure. 2.8? wish it was faster, but 2.8 is pretty fast, especially at that focal length. So far image is sharp and sweet. Build is solid, this thing is what, 25 years old? I think it's going to last longer than I will. Only big complaint so far is the focusing isn't that buttery critical action I get from my vintage SMC 50mm 1.4.

The $14 ebay adaptor snapped in to place without too much headache, all in all, for under a 100 bucks it's pretty great. Plenty of them out there.

Patrick Janka March 20th, 2011 03:54 PM

Re: Canon 100mm f2.8 FD mount lens

$75 I think is a great price as I just checked out eBay and couldn't find one under $110. Let us know how you like the lens, and post some clips. I have a Voigtlander 25mm f/0.95 and just contacted someone about a Nikon 50mm f/1.4D. Is it worth getting this Canon 100mm, or should I just step up to say, the Lumix 100-300mm zoom? The cool thing is that all these lenses, including my stock Lumix 14-42mm have a 52mm filter thread, so I won't have to deal with adapters.

Jeff Harper March 20th, 2011 05:03 PM

Good purchase Brian. 85mm f/1.8 is easy enough to find Patrick, and a nice lens.

I've got an 85mm, so now I'm looking at the last piece for my essential wedding kit lenses. I am debating between a 200mm f/2.8 and a 70-200mm f/4.0.

I really want a zoom, but the fast 200mm is SO tempting. If I could afford it I'd get both!

Patrick Janka March 20th, 2011 05:39 PM

Jeff, that 85mm you got doesn't have an aperture ring, does it? I want fully manual 3rd party lenses. As far as native have you considered getting the Lumix 7-14mm for wides? It's a bit slow and it doesn't have a filter thread, but it seems to be the only affordable option.

Jeff Harper March 20th, 2011 07:44 PM

Patrick, I very much want the 7-14 f/2.8. It is an outstanding lens as Dan Carter has shown, and the reviews are further proof of it. We must also remember that the proper operation of the camera is essential for getting the most out of the lenses, which I am still a long way from learning.

True, the 7-14 is "slower", but for that focal length you can't ask for more. 2.8 is still considered fast by most folks. Don't forget that Panasonic has a 14mm f/2.8 also, another great lens, at half the price.

For your work (you do real estate videos, right?) the 7-14 would seem to be perfect.

I have the Canon fd 85mm f/1.2L, and yes it has an aperture ring, as do all the Canon fd 85mm lenses do. You can find a 1.4 or 1.8 for very little. Brian got an VERY nice deal, of course, and he'd have been crazy to pass it up; but he's not and he didn't. I was fortunate when I found my 85mm, as Adorama had the 1.2 sitting in their used department. They normally go for $100-$300 more than I paid, or I couldn't have afforded it.

I went with Canon FD lenses, as you can find the 85mm, 100mm, 135mm, 50mm, etc and they work perfectly with the GH2. Heck I'm about to buy a 200mm f/2.8 for $200, that's quite a lens for the money.

Patrick Janka March 20th, 2011 07:53 PM

Jeff, the 7-14mm is not f/2.8, it's f/4.0: Without the ability to throw a polarizing filter or ND filter on it without a matte box isn't all that appealing.

Also, I don't do real estate videos specifically, I film everything under the sun. I decided to get into real estate videography, in addition to other stuff, and that was my first one. I did it as a freebie, and I'll continue to do them for free until I get the videos up to my standard of quality. I would never charge someone for something I'm not happy with.

Jeff Harper March 20th, 2011 08:00 PM

Well, that's disappointing, I really got that screwed up. Still, amazing lens, and with a 4.0 as you can see in Dan's video you don't need ND filter, you just stop it down as needed. As Jim S always points out you can increase ISO on the GH2 and will likely be fine.

I was also wrong about the 14mm, it's 2.5, not 2.8, but at least that's a good mistake.

Patrick Janka March 20th, 2011 08:04 PM

I suppose the ND filter isn't a big deal on the 7-14, but at f/2.5 on the 14mm, I can't justify spending money on it considering the stock 14-42mm is f/3.5 at 14mm.

Brian Luce March 20th, 2011 10:51 PM

Did a shoot yesterday with the 100mm FD 2.8 on a GH1 (not hacked) and other was a GH2 with the Oly 14-55 2.8.
Now, the Oly looked better for colors, they were punchier and bit sharper but that might have been the difference in cameras not lensing. Anyway, I dialed it up a little in Vegas and the GH1 plus Canon FD matched up well to the gh2.

Jeff Harper March 21st, 2011 07:41 AM

Brian, glad the lens worked out. It is a classic and many people love it. I bought a 135mm f/2.5 last night ($83) and am hoping it will work for long shots of the wedding vows and ring exchange.

I agree that your camera might have something to do with the differences in footage. The GH1 does so poorly at higher isos, and the colors are not as sharp in those conditions. I noticed it immediately with my gh1.

I think this journey using interchangeable lenses is very cool. On the other hand the idea of shooting with prime lenses is a nightmare for the run a gun shooting I do.

I will likely end up carrying two cameras for certain situations. For outdoor stuff I might just go with using the 14-140, as it is a fine lens under the right conditions. And since I already own it, why not?

If you guys are not aware, there is this: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/552742-REG/Manfrotto_131DDB_131DDB_Tripod_Accessory_Arm.html
At one time if you told me I would consider running two cameras on a single tripod, I would have laughed. Not now. It is my plan to do so for weddings, and sound absolutely insane, but necessary.