GH2 lensing question at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series

Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
4K and AVCHD on a Full Frame or Micro Four Thirds system with interchangeable lenses.

Old March 26th, 2011, 02:24 AM   #1
Inner Circle

GH2 lensing question

100mm is a common line of demarcation for telephoto lenses in terms of when some of the unique characteristics of telephoto manifest -- such as image compression and DOF amplification. So how do we regard the 100mm on a GH2? with the crop factor is the line of demarcation around 50mm? The cropping effect on the GH2 isn't technically a telephoto effect. So what's the story here?
Brian Luce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2011, 06:53 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: GH2 lensing question

My 50mm F1.4 Pentax lens works great on my GH2 as a 100mm FF/35mm eqiv lens.
Joe Ogiba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2011, 07:37 AM   #3
Inner Circle

That's a good question, but to clarify, are you asking if the depth of field characteristics of a lens changes because of the crop factor?

I would suspect not, but would love to know the answer.

A 100mm full frame lens becomes 200mm, that much we know, so maybe the depth of field properties are somehow magnified also.
Old March 29th, 2011, 10:23 AM   #4
Inner Circle

This has been discussed but I can't locate where I saw it. Basically, the DOF is a function of the lens focal length irrespective of crop. Crop affects the FOV. As I understand it, the GH2's ETC is just another "crop". Here's a discussion that may be informative:
http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eo...eeper-dof.html
Les Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2011, 03:19 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Actually I'm not so much talking about DOF. Focal length, as has been mentioned, doesn't have much to do directly with DOF. I'm thinking of other characteristics of long lenses, such as compression, and if cropping relates to it in the exact way that the actual glass does.

For example, let's say I'm filming a scene of someone trapped in small cave, I want everything to seem claustrophobic and tight, so I want to compress the background to help achieve that. Does the crop effect influence the shot? Or does my 100mm perform identically to same lens on a FF cam in terms of compression?
Brian Luce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2011, 08:58 AM   #6
Inner Circle

If you don't find an answer here go to Photography community, including forums, reviews, and galleries from Photo.net and find the forum for your lens. Place is full of pros who will know the answer to your question. If you're using a Canon FD lens, there is an FD forum there. That's where I go for these issues.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series