Sigma 18-50mm f/2.8 EX DC for 4/3 - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
4K and AVCHD on a Full Frame or Micro Four Thirds system with interchangeable lenses.

Old April 4th, 2011, 08:38 AM   #16
Inner Circle

Re: Sigma 18-50mm f/2.8 EX DC for 4/3

I had some footage that had blown out highlights during the reception, mostly the wedding dress during dancing. I was running two cameras, and it was so hectic, I don't know what was going on.

I think it was the auto ISO with the 20mm lens, but I cannot be sure. The GH2 with the Sigma was really nice, and the auto ISO worked very well, perfect. S mode kept the iris right rather than adjust the Shutter speed, and it seemed to work out very well that way.

It took me all day to come to use that setting, and I botched a lot of stuff prior to resorting to that. Luckily it was not a paid wedding, but shot as a favor for photographer, and there were no expectations. It's too much in full manual at all times, at least for me. With focus and zoom I have enough to deal with.
Old April 4th, 2011, 09:46 AM   #17
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Harper View Post
I had some footage that had blown out highlights during the reception, mostly the wedding dress during dancing. I was running two cameras, and it was so hectic, I don't know what was going on.

I think it was the auto ISO with the 20mm lens, but I cannot be sure. The GH2 with the Sigma was really nice, and the auto ISO worked very well, perfect. S mode kept the iris right rather than adjust the Shutter speed, and it seemed to work out very well that way.

It took me all day to come to use that setting, and I botched a lot of stuff prior to resorting to that. Luckily it was not a paid wedding, but shot as a favor for photographer, and there were no expectations. It's too much in full manual at all times, at least for me. With focus and zoom I have enough to deal with.
Thanks, sounds promising. I also find full manual mode really challenging in the field if I also have to deal with manual focus. Did you use the auto-focus at all with the Sigma?
Jonathan Plotkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2011, 10:30 AM   #18
Inner Circle

I used both, and did not like auto, it hunted too much, and did not seem accurate. I found it faster to use manual, I'm sorry to say. It probably varies with your subject as to how bad it is.
Old April 4th, 2011, 10:35 AM   #19
Trustee

Jeff, What focus mode do you use for 'coming to you' shots such as the B&G entrance at the reception or shooting the procession or recession from the top or the bottom of the aisle?
Jim Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2011, 10:43 AM   #20
Inner Circle

Jim, I am embarrased to report I don't know the answer, yet. For the processional, I tried both, and both were unsatisfactory.

The problem is I don't know how to shoot in manual, but I'm sure there is a method to zooming and focusing at the same time, but I don't know how it's done.

There is, somewhere, probably in the wedding forum, someone with vast experience with this issue.

I believe there is a method to be used, but I don't know what it is yet. I must find out though!
Old April 4th, 2011, 10:52 AM   #21
Trustee

I have has good success using auto focus with spot mode if I keep the 'spot' on the subject as they walk to me. This has been 'parking lot' shots with associates. I have been using my EX1R for paying jobs because I feel more secure with it. I have a big wedding this coming weekend. I will be using both my GH2 and EX1R on this one. I am using a second shooter with a 5D Mk II just to be safe.
Old April 4th, 2011, 10:57 AM   #22
Trustee

Another thing I am uncertain about is how well auto focus on a 'coming to you' shot works in low light. At my upcoming wedding shoot, there will be a sparkler departure from the reception for the B&G. The only light will be the light from the guests' sparklers who will be lined up on both sides of the B&G's departure path. That's one of those 'better not blow it' shots.
Old April 4th, 2011, 11:22 AM   #23
Inner Circle

Jim, I used spot mode, or played with it when I first got the camera, and haven't used it again since.

I'll have to play with it. Can you tell me the gist of what mode I must be in, menu settings for it to work? It it something I might have turned off?
Old April 4th, 2011, 11:27 AM   #24
Trustee

I will check my camera settings and post later today after I have. Unfortunately it's not one of those 'read page 73 in the manual' deals because the manual is very poorly organized and written. Maybe we can picket their booth at NAB about the manual - - - Just kidding. ;-)
Old April 4th, 2011, 11:27 AM   #25
Inner Circle

thanks Jim...
Old April 4th, 2011, 06:57 PM   #26
Trustee

Hey Jeff, I found that I have changed some setting in my camera since I last did this. I am going to test this with an associate walking toward me in a parking lot tomorrow. I want to make sure that I have this right. I need to use this capability on my wedding shoot Saturday. I will post the settings that I used after I get home tomorrow evening.
Old April 4th, 2011, 07:01 PM   #27
Inner Circle

Cool Jim, thanks. I would test it myself but I have been bogged down on the PC all day.
Old April 7th, 2011, 12:31 PM   #28
Trustee

Jeff, I had great success with shooting shots of people walking toward and away from me with the camera set to AFC and spot focus selected. I set the spot focus point to the center of the frame and then kept the subject being tracked in the center of the frame. This works equally well when the subject is walking to or away from the camera. I have enough confidence in this method to use it with my wedding shoot Saturday.

Until I feel that I know the GH2 inside and out, I will use tested methods that I know work when I'm doing a paying job. I haven't tried the facial recognition mode yet. Until I use it a lot more and develop confidence in it, I'm afraid of it. The good is the GH2 has a depth of features and the bad is that it has a depth of features. Without a good manual or 3rd party guide, you have to hack you way through it. That part is best done in your back yard and not on paying jobs.
Old April 7th, 2011, 12:59 PM   #29
Inner Circle

Aha, the AFC mode, which I've not really used much. Jim, I really appreciate your reporting with that information.

My primary lens on my main camera is the Sigma 18-50, and AFC will not work with that lens. Darn!
Old April 7th, 2011, 04:50 PM   #30
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Snow View Post
Jeff, I had great success with shooting shots of people walking toward and away from me with the camera set to AFC and spot focus selected. I set the spot focus point to the center of the frame and then kept the subject being tracked in the center of the frame. This works equally well when the subject is walking to or away from the camera. I have enough confidence in this method to use it with my wedding shoot Saturday.

Until I feel that I know the GH2 inside and out, I will use tested methods that I know work when I'm doing a paying job. I haven't tried the facial recognition mode yet. Until I use it a lot more and develop confidence in it, I'm afraid of it. The good is the GH2 has a depth of features and the bad is that it has a depth of features. Without a good manual or 3rd party guide, you have to hack you way through it. That part is best done in your back yard and not on paying jobs.
Jim, When you say "spot focus" are you referring to "1 area focusing"? If so, how small to you make your focus area? Also, what camera mode are you using?

Thanks. Norm
Norm Rehm is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series