DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-lumix-s-g-gf-gh-gx-series/)
-   -   Sigma 18-50mm f/2.8 EX DC for 4/3 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-lumix-s-g-gf-gh-gx-series/493828-sigma-18-50mm-f-2-8-ex-dc-4-3-a.html)

Jeff Harper March 30th, 2011 04:23 PM

Sigma 18-50mm f/2.8 EX DC for 4/3

Has anyone used this lens with M4/3, GH2/GH1, etc.? How's it working for you?

Joe Ogiba March 31st, 2011 06:23 AM

Re: Sigma 18-50mm f/2.8 EX DC for 4/3

From what I seen in reviews the native m4/3rds zooms are much sharper and only 1/2 stop slower.

Sigma 18-50 mm f/2.8-4.5 DC OS HSM review - Image resolution - Lenstip.com

Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42 mm f/3.5-5.6 ED review - Image resolution - Lenstip.com

"The Lumix 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 OIS does extremely well in our studio tests. Panasonic has integrated software correction of distortion and lateral chromatic aberration into the system design, and this pays off with near-perfect results for these aspects of our tests; the lens is also unusually sharp for its class. Compared to the Micro Four Thirds Olympus M. Zuiko Digital 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 ED, the Panasonic does better in almost every regard; it even out-performs the best of the kit zooms for conventional DSLRs, the Olympus Zuiko Digital F3.5-5.6 ED."
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Review: 19. Photographic tests (Kit Lens): Digital Photography Review

Jeff Harper March 31st, 2011 06:59 AM

Joe, thanks for the links. The difference of 2.8 to 4.5 is significant in low light. I shoot weddings so this is most critical. f/5.6 isn't even an option.

I would rather have an imperfect well-lit image than an underexposed image. Additionally for run and gun shooting in less than ideal circumstances, f/2.8 allows leaves one less setting to deal with. In full manual mode I could leave the aperture at 2.8 pretty much all evening and simply adjust shutter speed and ISO as needed. Adjustment would be much simpler and quicker with a constant aperture.

The 18-50 f/2.8-4.5 might be an option, but for run and gun a continous f/2.8 would be ideal. However if this lens falls through I will look more closely at your recommendation of the first lens.

The reviews of the lens I asked about (I've read many) generally say that if you put everything aside and look at the lens' real world performance, it is fine. Not perfect, but pretty good.

The biggest concern I have is the lens is reputed to have poor quality control and often needs to be sent to the factory for adjustment.

I think for video one can be less stringent in the need for perfectly sharp image.

Jeff Harper March 31st, 2011 10:00 AM

The lens I'm going out the door to buy "should" be a good choice.

I'm not thrilled with the fact it will end up being 36mm-100, but that range should still be quite useful for me in run and gun.

As they discussed, sharpness is not as critical for video use.

The lens, with an adapter will perform almost identically to a Lumix, will still be able to use AF, and that should be a real nice feature for times I don't have to be in manual, or for taking photos with the camera.

While not the perfect focal length, I expect the lens to be my most used lens until I can find something wider for under $2K at f/2.8. I don't have an adapter, but will get one pronto and report back.

Norm Rehm March 31st, 2011 11:21 AM

I have a Nikon 28-70mm f/2.8. Do you have an opion or experience about how well it would work with my GH2?

Norm

Jeff Harper March 31st, 2011 12:00 PM

My opinion would be to spend $29 for an adapter, or whatever it would cost and use it. If you already have the lens, that is a perfect length for portraits, and many other things.

I bought the Sigma 18-50mm f/2.8 EX DC for 4/3 a few minute ago. It is like new and I'm very pleased.

I tested it on an Olympus camera and it is absolutely perfect for video, IMO. The tests used for reviews are normally for photographic purposes, and are much more detail and stringent than it might be for video purposes.

The f/2.8 aperture worked perfectly indoors, the image was warm and pleasing, and I am confident that it will be the perfect leave-on lens for my primary wedding camera.

Jeff Harper March 31st, 2011 02:39 PM

Norm, your lens has been called "spectacular" by some, and I was very impressed by the reviews of it. It looks as if it is a top quality lens, the best Nikon made at the time.

You probably are well aware of how great your lens is, but in case you are not, read this review and be sure to scroll down to the performance section. http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/2870afs.htm

I admit that I would be thrilled to use this Nikon any day. If you use it, please let us know how you like it on your GH2.

Norm Rehm March 31st, 2011 09:13 PM

Jeff, Thanks for the info, yes I knew it was a good lens. The problem is that it large and heavy. They call it the coffee can. I am concerned about using it on a GH2. I need to think about it, I just might sell it.

Norm

Jeff Harper April 1st, 2011 04:36 AM

Norm, the lens I just bought, the sigma, is pretty difficult to find. And even though I haven't used it yet, I am very happy with the prospects for use in wedding photography. there is one on ebay, and one in Australia, and those are the ONLY ones I could find, till I got lucky and found one locally for half price.

It will work with autofocus, etc, and is great for video, I'm sure. There are other zooms that will work with the camera at f/2.8, specifically Zuiko ones, and that is where I would look...I started looking at the f/stops here on the chart.

If you're looking for a lens, I would start on the chart. Compatibilities of DMC-GH2 | Compatibility | Digital Camera | Product Support | Support | Panasonic Global

I made the mistake of buying several Canon FD lenses before thoroughly looking over the chart. The benefits of using highly compatible lenses cannot overestimated, and I wish I had done the same.

If you're a hobbyist, etc. (I don't remember what you do) the primes will be perfect for many applications, of course. But if you shoot professionally, with single camera especially, the zooms are a must have, and auto focus would be most helpful.

Norm Rehm April 1st, 2011 04:53 PM

Hi Jeff, I am just a hobbyist but I do like zooms and AF. Have you had time to try your new lens, and what adapter did you get?

Please give us a mini-review when you can.

Thanks
Norm

Jeff Harper April 1st, 2011 06:46 PM

I did get the Panasonic brand adapter today, and I have auto focus, etc. and shutter speed and aperture control with the Sigma lens.

The lens is very nice, I absolutely love it. I'm likely going to get this next:
I want back auto focus, etc in a long zoom. I run three cameras alone, and I need zoom, etc.

Highly recommended.

Jonathan Plotkin April 3rd, 2011 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Harper (Post 1634354)
I did get the Panasonic brand adapter today,.

Just picked up the same lens off eBay. Did you get the DMW-MA1 adapter, like here?
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/588085-REG/Panasonic_DMW_MA1_DMW_MA1_Mount_Adapter_to.html

Jeff Harper April 3rd, 2011 11:29 AM

Yes, I got the same adapter. we're both fortunate that I found the lens locally, I was prepared to go to $600 in the same auction! You paid the same I did, $375! That really worked out well for you.

Jeff Harper April 3rd, 2011 02:54 PM

Jonathan, do you shoot weddings? I found the lens, with added gain, to be satisfactory yesterday. I run in manual movie mode with shutter priority and auto ISO and got great results.

Jonathan Plotkin April 4th, 2011 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Harper (Post 1634896)
Jonathan, do you shoot weddings? I found the lens, with added gain, to be satisfactory yesterday. I run in manual movie mode with shutter priority and auto ISO and got great results.

I'm glad it worked out for you - and that you got the lens locally! I shoot run 'n gun doc stuff as well as studio interviews. I'm planning to use the Sigma for the doc work. Like a lot of people, I can't wait for a fast wide native zoom, but I don't mind compromising for awhile if I can pick up something like the Sigma for a few hundred bucks.

I'm curious how the auto ISO is working out. Does the camera seem to make reasonable choices? Are the changes in ISO obvious when you review the footage?

I'm also love to know more about your experience with the auto-focus in terms of how well it works and how noisy it is.

Thanks!!