Broken lens from eBay :( at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
4K and AVCHD on a Full Frame or Micro Four Thirds system with interchangeable lenses.

Old April 1st, 2011, 03:08 PM   #1
Major Player

Broken lens from eBay :(

I bought a Canon FDn 50mm f/1.4 lens from eBay advertised in MINT condition. Today I received my adapter so I could finally use the lens. Turns out the aperture won't open past f/4.0. It closes down to 22, but from f/4.0 to f/1.4 it doesn't move. I just emailed the seller. Any reason why this is so? Should I take it to a camera shop? A non-working aperture ring is hardly "mint".
Patrick Janka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2011, 04:36 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Broken lens from eBay :(

Check on photo.net for specifics if you come up with nothing here. I've not heard of this issue, could it be the adapter? Don't know. There is an FD lens forum at photo.net, someone there may have had the same issue.

The single best thing is to find an old FD mount camera and test it. If you have a used camera store in the area call them to see.

Bummer.
Old April 1st, 2011, 05:44 PM   #3
Major Player

Jeff, it has nothing to do with the adapter. The adapter seems fine. I was turning the aperture in my hand sans adapter, and it wouldn't budge past f/4.0.
Old April 1st, 2011, 09:52 PM   #4
Major Player

Okay, it DID have to do with the adapter. The adapter has an aperture lock mechanism that has to be in the open position before attaching the lens. Then you switch to lock and then you can adjust the aperture. I'm not sure what I did before, but I got it working now. btw, I don't understand the point of buying expensive adapters. I got this for $20 from a distributor in the U.S., and it works fine. I don't see what you get with the $200 adapters that I'm not getting.
Old April 1st, 2011, 09:56 PM   #5
Inner Circle

I have three cheap adapters, and there is play and they don't focus properly for inifinity. One cheap one was a Kipon that was $100, and it is no better than the $29 ones.

I have a fourth ordered from Poland which guarantees infinity focus, we'll see how that goes.
Old April 1st, 2011, 10:17 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Patrick....what adapter are you using??

Mark
Mark Slade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2011, 10:35 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Another complaint with adapters, certain ones that won't lock is that the lens will fall off. What people don't realize is you must be careful when working to not accidentally turn the adapter ring instead of the aperture ring, or focus ring. Or you must first install the adapter correctly. It can be tricky.
Old April 2nd, 2011, 12:19 AM   #8
Major Player

Hey, Mark, this is the one I got: Canon FD FL Lens To Micro M 4/3 G10 GF1 G2 EPL1 Adapter - eBay (item 250655070680 end time Apr-17-11 20:29:57 PDT)

It's actually $27. Most of the adapters are from China, but I didn't want to wait the 3 weeks most of them ship in. This one came from NJ, and I got it pretty fast. The lens fits perfectly, there's no play, and it snaps onto the GH2 no problem.
Old April 2nd, 2011, 01:02 AM   #9
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Janka View Post
Okay, it DID have to do with the adapter. The adapter has an aperture lock mechanism that has to be in the open position before attaching the lens. Then you switch to lock and then you can adjust the aperture.
With the cheap adaptors I have you can use the Open/Lock ring to smoothly & continuously adjust aperture in a step-less fashion.
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2011, 06:51 AM   #10
Regular Crew

Patrick...

Nice lens now that you figured it out ?
David Grinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2011, 07:51 PM   #11
Inner Circle

I use the cheapies. I just got a Pixco to use with my new 135mm f2.5 Canon FD. These adapters seem to work just fine. It's true though, beware of accidentally unlocking the lock. I'm going to gaffer tape mine open. Looks ugly right? who cares, it's a $75 lens.
Btw, the FD 135mm 2.5 is fast and sharp, but dang thing is heavy as sin.
Brian Luce is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series