Serious, MAJOR GH2 Shortcoming - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series

Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
4K and AVCHD on a Full Frame or Micro Four Thirds system with interchangeable lenses.

Old April 14th, 2011, 08:23 AM   #46
Inner Circle

Re: Serious, MAJOR GH2 Shortcoming

Dan, thanks for your feedback. I edited my previous post to be clearer, I should have said I know nothing about the Canon except it is phenomenal, as I wrote it seemed I was referring to the GH2.

My main issue with the GH2 is the size, probably above all else. It is much too small to work with in wedding scenario comfortably. The small size has some advantages, but they outweigh the cons. It is too easy to hit a button accidntally, and that happens a lot, particularly when hand held. The number of people that pop in front of the camera when I'm filming who think I'm a photographer is a bit odd, but it shows the greater comfort level the folks have with the camera, as opposed to a conventional videocamera, which people will run from.
Old April 14th, 2011, 09:15 AM   #47
Inner Circle

I too find the small size irritating. For the last couple of years I have mostly been using a Canon 5DII with a battery grip & that now feels exactly the right size that a camera should be.

It's crazy to put the shutter & aperture adjustment on that single wheel . It's so easy to be adjusting the aperture & press a little too hard & suddenly you have changed the shutter speed. For video use I really would like to be able to lock the shutter speed at 1/50 & know that I couldn't accidentally change it.
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2011, 11:37 AM   #48
Trustee

I have had to learn to be careful when picking up or handling my GH2 to avoid accidentally pressing the menu, ISO and other buttons on the back. That is true in one way or another with other cameras as well. The size aspect wasn't an issue for me since I haven't been using a DSLR. My main camera is an EX1R and the transition to the GH2 was huge, almost scary. The mere fact that a new camera represents a new and different ergonomic challenge is just 'dues to pay' for the change. I can understand that those who have used a 5D Mk II for example find the GH2 to feel different in hand. I remember when the Canon 7D was introduced I read the exact same comment about the diminutive side of the 7D. With that said, I didn't expect the GH2 to feel like my EX1R when I picked it up. I suppose those accustomed to the Canon 1D Mk IV found the 5D a bit cramped in hand as well.
Jim Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2011, 11:41 AM   #49
Inner Circle

Heck Jim, as a former 40d user the GH2 feels miniscule, and that is a pretty small camera. As someone somewhere posted, it seems to be made for a child's hands! But then again it's called micro four thirds, isn't it.
Old April 14th, 2011, 11:52 AM   #50
Trustee

To varying degrees, people tend to resist change to anything that is different or unfamiliar. The switch to the GH2 from my EX1R was nearly traumatic. ;-) It's all related to what one is familiar with. An associate has been using a GH1 since it was introduced. Their comment at a recent videographers association meeting was the reverse when they picked up a 5D Mk II - "Ugh, I would hate to handle this hog all day long." It's the different part that gets people. I suppose some would find the transition from driving a school bus to a sports car a bit traumatic as well. I wouldn't spend a lot of energy listening to them telling me how much better a school bus is than a sports car though.
Jim Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2011, 02:03 PM   #51
Major Player

" I can record 1.5 hours straight with my 16gb SDHC cards. And I would trust it as a backup camera in the event my DSLRs were not operable or available. It's perfect. Plus, I will use it for personal photography and video while on vacations."

Curious, shooting 1.5 hours with the GH2 if you found it overheating and shutting down like the 7D as been known to do?
Jim Forrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2011, 02:32 PM   #52
Inner Circle

Jim, I forget why the other cams overheat, but that is not possible with the GH2.

I have run a GH1 for 2 hours, stopping only to change batteries, no problems.
Old April 14th, 2011, 04:51 PM   #53
Inner Circle

Another thing about the size Jim. If you are using the camera (GH2) as a lock down, size is not an issue. Buttons not so much an issue, accidentally hitting things not an issue.

However, if you are shooting handheld, it's different story.It is nearly impossible to get through a session of run and gun without hitting a button by accident.

It happens most often when picking up the camera. If you pick it up by the correct side, you can easily hit the wb, iso, or f2 button, which I have done a zillion times. You almost have to pick it up with your fingertips, because it's the fleshy area on the hand below where your thumb is attached that hits the button.

It really is not suited for run and gun, but it will get me through till the next thing.
Old April 14th, 2011, 06:16 PM   #54
Inner Circle

OK, here's a real serious GH2 temporary shortcoming: no AC adapter, anywhere! Listed on the Panasonic web site but no retailer in NYC has it even listed in their inventory except Adorama that has it as backordered. But they never have seen one.

Has anyone noticed the battery life while feeding a HDMI monitor? The same as using the LCD? Sort of need to know before Monday, I only have two batteries for a full day shoot.
Old April 14th, 2011, 07:22 PM   #55
Regular Crew

I had to buy a GH2 for our company to shoot long lectures, and I have to say I really can't stand this camera. The menus are just completely annoying and non-intuitive, and why on earth would they only offer 24p at the hi-res setting?

I feel sorry for anyone who bought this camera for wedding work. My God... trying to run and gun with this thing must be a nightmare. Not to mention if you shoot in 24p good luck trying to get the footage to look good on DVD unless every single shot is on a tripod.

I think it's manageable for corporate work, but its shortcomings are too many to list.
Jeff Wallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2011, 08:23 PM   #56
Major Player

I hate not to flog this dead horse, but I find the GH2 a wonderful tool for creating stunning images. I currently own a Panasonic HMC40, TM700, GH2 and Canon 7D. They all can create wonderful video, and are all different in respect to how I must operate them for best result. They all have issues that challenge my abilities, but for the most part, my shortcomings are what prevent these cameras from producing good video.

I do believe, at this point in time, we would be hard pressed to find another $900 camera that is as versatile and capable as the GH2.
Dan Carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2011, 09:21 PM   #57
Inner Circle

Come on Dan, can't you think of ANYthing bad to say? (kidding of course!).

William, you will likely want to have some batteries over-nighted. The AC coupler is also not available, I've been waiting for it for awhile!

B&H does have the generic batteries which reportedly last longer than than the OEM versions. If you bought two or three of them you'd be in good shape, just take your charger with you!
Old April 14th, 2011, 09:31 PM   #58
Inner Circle

Jeff, if you can't shoot 24fps for any reason, 720p is a perfectly acceptable mode for most work. We would all love to have 1080 60p, I am chief among them, but 720p is pretty darn nice with this camera.
Old April 14th, 2011, 10:49 PM   #59
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Forrest View Post
Curious, shooting 1.5 hours with the GH2 if you found it overheating and shutting down like the 7D as been known to do?
Nope, it's never overheated at all. Jeff H is right that it won't. It was designed to better dissipate the heat.
Dan Shallenberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2011, 11:24 PM   #60
Regular Crew

I concur with the non-overheating issue. I've recorded up to 90 minutes continuous footage with no problems whatsoever. However, the only reason we use the GH2 is for the long recording times. Anything that doesn't require length, we'll use the Canon 5D, 7D or 60D.

The GH2 is clunky and difficult. I sum it up as being a dumbed down "consumer" camera that 'can' produce a professional image under the right circumstances, but it sure is a pain in the ass to get there.
Jeff Wallace is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series