Serious, MAJOR GH2 Shortcoming - Page 5 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series

Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
4K and AVCHD on a Full Frame or Micro Four Thirds system with interchangeable lenses.

Old April 14th, 2011, 11:32 PM   #61
Major Player

Re: Serious, MAJOR GH2 Shortcoming

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Wallace View Post
I concur with the non-overheating issue. I've recorded up to 90 minutes continuous footage with no problems whatsoever. However, the only reason we use the GH2 is for the long recording times. Anything that doesn't require length, we'll use the Canon 5D, 7D or 60D.

The GH2 is clunky and difficult. I sum it up as being a dumbed down "consumer" camera that 'can' produce a professional image under the right circumstances, but it sure is a pain in the ass to get there.

I'm with you for the most part, Jeff. My only use for it is to record for long periods of time from the balcony so I don't have to tread up there every 10 minutes to stop/start it. If I'm running the camera, it's a 7D or 5Dm2. It's fully capable of being main camera, but the small size of the GH2 is the biggest hindrance for me, with the single dial for aperture and shutter speed coming in a very close second. Like I said before, I have respect for those using it for main camera at weddings, but I sure couldn't do it.
Dan Shallenberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2011, 01:24 AM   #62
Major Player

personaly i admit to canons edging it in skin tone but as an ex 550D/T2i owner its all it wins on, dont forget the canon resolution is like sd compared to the GH2s,if DVD is the required format that wont matter but for me who likes to finish with blu ray or avchd disc it matters.
Martyn Hull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2011, 02:50 AM   #63
Inner Circle

I have 3 GH2's and 1 GH1. I used all four tonight to record a concert. 99 minutes of continuous non stop recording and not one of them overheated or crashed. Bulletproof.
A lot of you are complaining that it's too small? Huh? That's one of the cool things about it! I have FOUR cameras in my backpack now. FOUR!!! Imagine lugging around 4 EX3's? Btw, the GH2 is better in low light than EX3 with the stock lens. No comparison. I think the image is better too.

I do have issues with the menus.

Btw, one of my GH2's tonight had a $12,000 12-250mm lens on it with a Zacuto follow focus. Sweet. And next time I rent a Canon 200mm f2.8, I'll check to make sure it has an aperture ring. Duh.
Brian Luce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2011, 01:15 PM   #64
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Harper View Post
B&H does have the generic batteries which reportedly last longer than than the OEM versions.
No generic batteries there as of yesterday.

Last edited by William Hohauser; April 15th, 2011 at 04:26 PM.
William Hohauser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2011, 02:09 PM   #65
Inner Circle

Well, William, that stinks. It woud seem after your initial battery expires, you'll be using your charger. Sorry to hear abou that. In NYC one would think there would be ONE of those batteries somewhere!
Old April 15th, 2011, 02:58 PM   #66
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Hohauser View Post
No generic batteries there as .of yesterday.
I have one of them. They don't read out the battery life, but last real well. Price is right.
Brian Luce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2011, 04:26 PM   #67
Inner Circle

I am seriously considering not using the camera on Monday due to the battery issue. Fortunately I have other options and the shoot will be single performers against a photo black curtain so shallow depth of field is not a big, big need.
Old April 15th, 2011, 10:31 PM   #68
Inner Circle

Brian, how long do you get with the generic? I have no idea how long they are good for and have been afraid to use them!
Old April 15th, 2011, 10:36 PM   #69
Inner Circle

Brain, fully expect to see footage from your shoot, awesome, love to see it. You sound as if you are really enjoying the cameras!
Old April 17th, 2011, 02:11 AM   #70
Major Player

All right, guys, I did my best to read through all 5 pages of posts, but if I missed anything...sorry.

Let me confirm and sum it up: The GH2 is no good for weddings/run and gun. If used for weddings, it should be coupled with a real video camera (not a DSLR or EVIL cam). Canon DSLRs such as the 60d/7d/5dii are much better than the GH2 for weddings/run and gun.

Does that seem about right?

I keep hearing that the GH2 sucks for weddings and needs to be paired with a real pro videocam for weddings, but not a lot of explanation as to why. Is it because the GH2 is physically too small in size that buttons get mis-pressed? Or are the people with this complaint saying all DSLRs, including the larger 60d/7d/5dii are still too small (when compared to a video camera)?

I'm curious why people are saying GH2 sucks for weddings? And why does it need to be paired with a video camera? Is it because the shallow DOF is hard to work with at run and gun/wedding situations? If so, then any DSLR would cause that problem including the Canons.

I'm trying to decide if the GH2 or the Canon 60d is better for wedding work.

Let me see if I can bullet point the pros and cons of the GH2 for weddings:

GH2 Pros:
-no recording limit (compared to the 12 min of the Canon DSLRs)
-no overheating
-triple core processors (outputs full HD resolution to an external monitor via HDMI)
-longer battery life (compared to the 60d, despite the 60d's battery having more capacity because the 60d's LCD screen sucks up battery juice)
-mirrorless
-virtually non-existent moire/aliasing (60d has bad aliasing/moire/rolling shutter)
-better rolling shutter control than 60d, but still present
-resolves at much higher real resolution than the 60d
-noticeably less noise than 60d
-60p at 1080, however it's then compromised by 1080i and 24p or something
-small form factor (apparently also a huge con)
-1:1 zoom crop without digital zoom
-2x crop factor (or more like 1.8 or 1.9x in reality because of the GH2 sensor is a bit unique for Micro 4/3 in that it uses a 16:9 aspect ratio)
-3D capable (though this is more of a gimmick, novelty feature I feel)
-can adapt older, but super high quality lenses (that are now considered vintage and really inexpensive to buy) that the 60d cannot
-strong continuous tracking autofocus with certain lens like the kit 14-140mm that lets it be easily used on steadicams (does this tracking AF work for the Canon EF lenses or other lenses?)

GH2 Cons:
-way too small - why is this an issue? because it's easy to accidentally press the wrong button?
-can't adjust ISO while recording
-can't adjust White Balance while recording
-can't adjust ETC? (not sure) what is ETC anyways?
-shutter and aperture settings can be easily messed up because they use the same button
-needs 2.5mm to 3.5mm adaptor for audio mic (though I will be using a Zoom H4N)
-far worse LCD resolution than the Canon 60d
-far less robust build quality
-not as good low light slightly compared to 60d (because of smaller sensor?)
-uglier aesthetically (imo)
-less "street cred" as the Canons seem to hold the "brand image" professional feel more; Lumix feels amateur - however, when it comes to video work, I believe the image quality is more important than street cred, and the GH2 IQ beats the 60d in virtually every video aspect
-hard to acquire AC adaptor
-hard to acquire camera body in general

60D Pros:
-way higher build quality, doesn't feel so plasticky (though it's not magnesium alloy either)
-bigger physically (seems to be the perfect size for my hands, the GH2 does feel too small for comfortable operation)
-far better LCD resolution
-has the better street cred and professional image to your clients
-normal 3.5mm audio jack
-slightly larger sensor (so slightly shallower DOF and I'm guessing better light sensitivity?)
-better stills camera (but far worse video camera in terms of image quality and feature set - physical controls and ergonomics are debatable)
-don't need adaptor for Canon EF lens and L lenses (though I hear there is an adaptor for the M4/3 that can not just adapt these Canon lenses, but also control the aperature...not just making the Canon aperature stuck on the default widest settings)
-possibly will get a stable Magic Lantern update in the future - though I'm still unclear what kind of feature set this would bring over the already existing feature set of the GH2? anyone care to explain?
-only 1.6x crop factor (though I hear in reality, it's more like 1.7x, whereas the GH2 in reality is 1.8 or 1.9x)
-better low light because of slightly larger sensor (not sure if it actually gives better low light)?
-doesn't overheat (compared to 7d) - so same as GH2

60D Cons:
-physically bigger (debateable - I find this to be a pro over the GH2 because it fits more comfortably in my hands)
-uses more battery power (esp. to power the LCD)
-12-min recording limit
-heavy aliasing/moire/rolling shutter compared to GH2
-fewer frame and recording formats (am I correct? I may be wrong about this point)
-does not output full HD resolution to external monitor via HDMI (and I for sure am using a Lilliput 8" 800x600 monitor)
-lower real resolution than GH2 at 1080p
-noticeably more noise than GH2
-cannot exit manual focus assist with shutter half-press like you can with GH2

Basically, it seems like the GH2 is better for video in virtually all aspects compared to the 60D, so I'm confused why people say GH2 is no good for weddings? Are you saying the GH2 in particular is no good for weddings, or are all DSLRs no good for weddings? Because I'm hearing the major complaint is that the GH2 is too small to use well for run and gun, with the buttons getting accidentally pressed, no on the fly ISO and WB, no AC adaptor, etc.

But the 60d, while larger, is still much smaller than most pro video cameras. Do you find that too small for weddings as well?

I don't really want to turn this into a DSLR/EVIL vs. video camcorder debate, because I love the AF-100 and NEX FS-100 too. I just want to understand when people say the GH2 is no good for weddings...why do they say that?

Btw, is it hard to cut footage from the GH2 together with the AF-100? With the FS-100? With the Canon DSLRs? Can they be color corrected to match nicely in post or in camera?

A few reviews I read along with this thread to gather this info as best I could. If I'm wrong about anything, please correct me.
Zhong Cheung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2011, 10:22 AM   #71
Trustee

Zhong, I think the statement that the GH2 is no good for wedding is wrong. A couple of people saying that doesn't translate to "people say". I like to use it in conjunction with my EX1R but that is just my personal style / choice. One thing to keep in mind on forums is that you need to filter comments because some aren't objective or qualified comments.
Jim Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2011, 10:26 AM   #72
Inner Circle

I think the GH2 is quite usable for weddings, but you must know what you are doing.

I'm committed to it, so I have no choice at this time.

On the other hand, the lens choices (without using adapters) with your canon are so much greater, no adapters needed, and not as much as a "crop" factor. the GH2 has more options, in fact, but with a Canon 60d you do not have to hunt other brands of lenses to get what you want, and you have the advantage of the huge Sigma for Canon line of lenses.

Everything on the GH2 is doubled, but not so with the 60D, correct? 50mm becomes 75mm, not 100mm, am I right? This crop factor is really too much, but can be seen as an advantage depending on how you look at it.

I strongly dislike the size of the GH2 for run and gun, it is too small. I have done several events with it, and it's like playing with a toy.

On the other hand, it is a very capable camera, and learning to overcome the obstacles is the primary challenge, and once that is done getting great images is certainly possible.

I would love to have a Canon 60d as a primary camera, and have considered it. Right now I'm sticking with the GH2 and GH1s, as I have four of them, and there is no reason I cannot make them work for my purposes.
Old April 17th, 2011, 10:29 AM   #73
Obstreperous Rex

One thing I have learned from running forum sites for twelve years: people use them mostly for complaining. The number of folks not having problems outweighs the number of folks who do, but those people tend not to post (presumably because they're too busy enjoying their new camera). Nobody calls the police to report having a good day.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2011, 10:43 AM   #74
Major Player

It's not so much that you need a "real" video camera in addition to the GH2 at a wedding, but rather that having at least two cameras for coverage is ideal for cutting in post and fixing mistakes. A real video camera won't need to be checked on as often due to superior battery life, too. Also, it's good to have a camera that allows deep depth of field with low aperture values so you're not constantly adjusting focus, not necessarily at a wedding, but anywhere. Real video cameras are better for run and gun because you don't have a separate audio recorder to worry about, you don't need to screw on ND filters, you have a massive zoom range (although if you own the 14-140mm for the GH2 you're alright, although the Panny's zoom and focus rings aren't smooth, kinda gritty feeling).
Patrick Janka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2011, 10:44 AM   #75
Inner Circle

Chris is correct, and of course there is the issue that the camera is new to virtually everyone that has it, so there will tons of whining about various aspects. The problems, as they are overcome, will be less an issue as the camera is accepted for what it is and it has become learned by the users.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series