DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-lumix-s-g-gf-gh-gx-series/)
-   -   Skin Tones (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-lumix-s-g-gf-gh-gx-series/494554-skin-tones.html)

Martyn Hull April 14th, 2011 01:25 AM

Skin Tones

While i am fairly happy with my GH2 and think for oudoor country scenes and wildlife it is suited but i dont think it can touch canons for skin tone, certainly i cant match the tones i had with a previous 550D and i dont think i could ever get skin tones like on this film

Jim Forrest April 15th, 2011 07:05 PM

Re: Skin Tones

Looks like it was done in post with Magic Bullet.

Brian Luce April 15th, 2011 08:41 PM

I think it all has to do with how it's set up. I've seen some terrible horrible plasticky skin tones from the 7d.
Also, that clip and some excellent natural light and it looks processed.

Jeff Harper April 15th, 2011 10:23 PM

Martyn, try a $1800us Canon 50mm f/1.2 on your GH2 and see how it looks. You'd be surprised. If you read the equipment used it would put things in context. In other words the comparison, as a random post, without a point of comparison, is useless.

And yes the Canon 7d is a great camera, but that footage was clearly touched up in post.

People with both cameras say that both have their uses. We could post other peope's work here all day to prove on thing or another about any camera, I just don't see the point.

Kevin McRoberts April 15th, 2011 11:24 PM

Coming from the "this lens is attached to the camera, get used to it" world of video, I was honestly surprised by just how much of a difference the lens makes.

I was fairly happy with the kit 14-140... then fooled around with an ultra-used (now already irrevocably broken) Olympus 50/1.4... then just recently virtually stole a Leica Summicron 50/2... set them all at 50/4, and the difference is striking.

Guess I have to post up a direct comparo or something...

Nigel Barker April 16th, 2011 12:08 AM

Using Smooth or Cinema Film Mode I think that the skin tones with the GH2 are great & to my eye more natural than the Canon DSLRs.

Martyn Hull April 16th, 2011 01:07 AM

Yes, I have tried all the film settings and Nostalgic and Cinema are two that I like. It's just that personally I cant match the skin tones I used to get with my Canon, but overall I prefer the GH2., Jeff and the other wedding guys, do you all do color correction? It must take an age with all that footage.

Ian G. Thompson April 17th, 2011 08:08 PM

MOst definitely. The skin tones on my GH-2 looks much better than my 7D.

Martyn Hull April 18th, 2011 12:37 AM

AS i said i had a canon 550D and skin tones were better,everything cant be better on the GH2 i suppose.

Jeff Harper April 18th, 2011 06:26 AM

Kevin, as you have discovered, it all starts with the lens.