DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-lumix-s-g-gf-gh-gx-series/)
-   -   Wireless mic with GH2 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-lumix-s-g-gf-gh-gx-series/494637-wireless-mic-gh2.html)

Jim Snow April 15th, 2011 09:00 PM

Wireless mic with GH2

Has anyone used a wireless mic with a GH2? I just hooked up mine and the peak level goes into the red on the monitor in the GH2. The output level of my wireless receiver is not too high. I even set the level in the camera to zero in the menu with no change. It is just fine on my EX1R. Am I missing something? The manual has nothing to say about this.

John Griswell April 15th, 2011 10:01 PM

Re: Wireless mic with GH2

What model wireless?

Jim Snow April 15th, 2011 10:05 PM

Sony UWP-V1

Jim Forrest April 15th, 2011 10:21 PM

Hey Jim...completely off topic (I would have PM'd you but I can't find a way on this forum)

I was looking for an earlier post of yours on downconverting HD to SD for DVD authoring.
I use Edius 6 and can export to uncompressed AVI. I have been using Procoder 3 but I am still getting some jaggies.
What is your process again?

Jim

Jim Snow April 15th, 2011 10:36 PM

Jim, One of the easiest ways to do this is to use TMPEGEnc. Just render out to Canopus HQ and then open in TMPEGEnc and resize. Procoder is a great encoder so you may want to just resize in TMPEGEnc and then render your MPEG with Procoder.

Jeff Harper April 15th, 2011 10:39 PM

Jim, I've used the Sony with good results, can't understand your issue, sounds very problematic, wish I had a solution.

Kevin McRoberts April 15th, 2011 11:16 PM

I've been using a Sennheiser EV100 G2 system. On the camera side, it's as low as it goes. On the receiver side, I adjust AF OUT to about -24 to -30 to get good levels. That same receiver setting on my Z1U or HVX is far too low (typically use -12). Must simply be a lot of internal pre-amp going on.

In testing, I've noticed that the level meters in the camera hit the first red mark right around -6, and the second around -2... as tested by droning into the mic until that level was just barely reached (super scientific n all).

Jim Forrest April 16th, 2011 06:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Snow (Post 1639482)
Jim, One of the easiest ways to do this is to use TMPEGEnc. Just render out to Canopus HQ and then open in TMPEGEnc and resize. Procoder is a great encoder so you may want to just resize in TMPEGEnc and then render your MPEG with Procoder.

Yeah I am using TMPGEGEnc 5 now and still not too happy. What size did you resize? I was impressed with what you did with the cat video.
Seems that getting HD to look good in SD on a DVD is quest for most of us. Maybe I should start a new thread for this since this is about wireless.

Jim Snow April 16th, 2011 07:50 AM

Jim, I suspect the jaggies you are referring to are interlace artifacts. HD link which is part Cineform NEO HD does a great job of deinterlacing._

Jim Snow April 16th, 2011 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin McRoberts (Post 1639494)
I've been using a Sennheiser EV100 G2 system. On the camera side, it's as low as it goes. On the receiver side, I adjust AF OUT to about -24 to -30 to get good levels. That same receiver setting on my Z1U or HVX is far too low (typically use -12). Must simply be a lot of internal pre-amp going on.

In testing, I've noticed that the level meters in the camera hit the first red mark right around -6, and the second around -2... as tested by droning into the mic until that level was just barely reached (super scientific n all).

Thanks Kevin, I suspected that. I will try your suggestion later today. I can't find any information about the audio recording in the GH2. Does anyone know where I can find more info?

Oren Arieli April 18th, 2011 11:54 AM

If you don't get satisfactory results lowering the receiver output, a quick/cheap/dirty method is to purchase an in-line headphone volume attenuator (Radio Shack sells these on the cheap). They are 1/8" stereo input/output...so I'm not sure if it's compatible with the GH2.

Jim Snow April 18th, 2011 12:01 PM

Thanks, -30db out of the wireless receiver did the trick. I think I will pick up a couple of the Radio Shack Attenuators. It would be nice to keep the wireless receiver to the -12db setting that I use on my other cameras.