Audio Advice... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series

Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
4K and AVCHD on a Full Frame or Micro Four Thirds system with interchangeable lenses.

Old April 23rd, 2011, 07:16 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Audio Advice...

Hello,

I just purchased a Rode video mic. However, it looks like the GH2 does not accept your typical mini 1/4 inch size jack that is on the Rode. Therefore, what type of adapter do I need to plug this mic directly into the camera? I assume this plugs in to the port on the left side that says "mic/remote."

Also, what are the pros/cons of feeding the mic directly into the camera vs plugging it into an external recorder? The external recorder seems like a hassle having to sync audio later unless there is a huge benefit regarding audio quality.

Thanks,

Jerry
Jerry Neal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2011, 08:25 PM   #2
Trustee

Re: Audio Advice...

I bought a couple of these. They are built well and aren't loose so there is no danger of them coming disconnected in normal use. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/488047-REG/Hosa_Technology_GMP_467_GMP_467_Right_Angle.html
Jim Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2011, 08:38 PM   #3
Inner Circle

I bought mine at Radio Shack, but they are not right angle. Thanks for the link, Jim, I just ordered three of yours, much better, I hated mine sticking out on the sides!
Old April 23rd, 2011, 09:52 PM   #4
Inner Circle

The audio will of course be much better if you record to something like the Tascam DR100 or Zoom h4n, but there's the extra hassle of syncing.
Syncing isn't too hard though if you slate your scenes or use Plural Eyes.
Brian Luce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2011, 12:51 AM   #5
Major Player

The new Adobe Premiere 5.5 has built-in audio sync.
Patrick Janka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2011, 05:05 PM   #6
Major Player

THE biggest problem with recording sound in-camera is that you simply can't plug in a set of headphones to monitor your sound. For B-roll, narrative, or short-short interviews where retakes are possible, this isn't so much a problem. For one-chance and long interviews, it's a non-starter.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series