Manual focus with push auto? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
4K and AVCHD on a Full Frame or Micro Four Thirds system with interchangeable lenses.

Old April 28th, 2011, 10:00 AM   #16
Trustee

Re: Manual focus with push auto?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Harper View Post
Jim, I am going to play with methods for focusing during a processional,
I would love to hear your feedback.
Jim Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2011, 10:36 AM   #17
Inner Circle

Well, I was one of those that sold off my cameras, but I sold my FX1 with reluctance. At the time it was necessary, but I would kill to have it back right now.

It doesn't shoot 720p, however and that would be an issue.

The next best choice in my price range would be an HMC 150, which I've owned, but I disliked.
Old April 30th, 2011, 01:18 PM   #18
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Luce View Post
Yes, you can use manual and auto focus at the same time, but you won't get the focus assisting zoom. And yes, this works during recording, not just standbye mode.
Try this:
-Go to manual movie mode (dunno if it works in other modes, I don't use them.)
-Turn the dial on the top left of camera to "AFS"
-In the menus, go to CUSTOM>AF+MF and turn it ON.
-In the menus, make sure SHUTTER AF is ON.

That should do it. Make sure you turn the focus ring with the shutter button half depressed.

Btw, I like the SHUTTER AF mode in the menu. If it's ON, and with the camera recording, you can auto focus on a target and it will hold that focus if the target is stationary. if the target moves, or you do, half depress the shutter button and it will refocus. It will only focus if you tell it to, it won't hunt. So if you have a relatively static scene, you don't have to worry about the camera getting all possessed by the demon of bad focus and have the camera hunting all around in and out of focus. Just make sure you're not in manual focus mode on the top left hand dial.

Another thing, not quite sure what good "MF ASSIST GUIDE" in the CUSTOM menu is. That the feature that turns on a close up to infinity bar in the VF. You can see a cursor roll back and forth as you focus. Now, if only, if ONLY! Panasonic had thought to mark that line bar with numbers, we'd have perhaps a usable follow focus scale. But unmarked, not sure how I'd use it, you can goof around with the VF grids, but that's sketchy.
Brian, I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong but when I set the settings as you describe, I still get focus hunting. Could there be other setting that also affect this?
Jim Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2011, 02:13 PM   #19
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Snow View Post
Brian, I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong but when I set the settings as you describe, I still get focus hunting. Could there be other setting that also affect this?
Jim,

Here is another option for you:

Option 1) Set Custom Menu [AF/AE Lock] to either AF, AE or AF/AE. Now press and hold the AF/AE Lock button while turning focus ring.

Option 2) Also set Custom Menu [AF/AE Lock Hold] to On. Now a single press of the AF/AE Lock button will lock AF and/or AE (depending on your setting in Option 1) until the AF/AE Lock button is pressed again. Now turn focus ring.

This [AF/AE Lock Hold] can also eliminate ALL focus hunt issues. One press of the AF/AE Lock button will lock AF and/or AE until pressed again. If you're doing any type of pan or tilt, this feature is your friend.
Dan Carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2011, 02:45 AM   #20
Inner Circle

Quote:
Jim, that procedure I outlined is for operating MF and AF at the same time. I just double checked and it works on mine. I even reset the camera to default settings and it worked. I couldn't get Dan's settings though to operate MF and AF at the same time. It did work however for preventing hunting.
Brian Luce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2011, 03:17 AM   #21
Inner Circle

Quote:
Also be sure you're in 1 area focus mode (mechanical dial on top left of camera).
Brian Luce is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series