Who's using EF lenses with the GH1 and GH2? How's that working out? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series

Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
4K and AVCHD on a Full Frame or Micro Four Thirds system with interchangeable lenses.

Old May 5th, 2011, 08:07 AM   #1
Inner Circle

Who's using EF lenses with the GH1 and GH2? How's that working out?

I'm looking at a possibly great zoom lens solution to add to my lens arsenal for weddings, but it is a Canon EF lens. Who's using one of these with the fotodiox adapter? How's it working out for you?

There would be no aperture control, but who cares for indoor work?

By the way this lens appears to be a wonderful choice for ceremony and reception work, a fast zoom that has won rave reviews, and it's cheap!

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/284399-REG/Tamron_AF09C700_28_75mm_f_2_8_XR_Di.html
Old May 8th, 2011, 07:32 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: Who's using EF lenses with the GH1 and GH2? How's that working out?

Hey Jeff, one thing I've always wondered is why add a telescopic lens when the GH2 has that digital zoom feature w/out losing resolution? I know the DOF and bokeh may be different, but unless it's drastically different...it seems like having a small, wide, fast prime lens would be excellent (esp. with the 2x crop and additional digital zoom).
Zhong Cheung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2011, 07:55 AM   #3
Inner Circle

I can't believe no one has responded to my post. Is no one using EF lenses?

Zhong, if you're a professional shooter you need more than two settings than a prime will give you for run and gun work with the GH2.

Also, you have to stop recording to turn the feature on and off, which is not something you can do when shooting weddings. A zoom gives you the ability to capture the moment without getting in someone's face as well.

Zoom lenses are not required for everyone, but on the other hand, look at any professional phtotographer's kit and you will likely see at least one zoom in their bag.
Old May 9th, 2011, 02:28 PM   #4
Trustee

FWIW Jeff, Ive been digging around wondering the same thing. Always looking for cheaper options :)
The EF's seem to be overpriced for what you can get in other brands, but the one you quoted seems to be a good deal.
I also got turned off the idea after having a play with my sons 60d, he only has the kit lens (similar to our 14-140 Panasonic in specs I think) and a 50mm f1.8. They feel awful, plastic, cheap.
I have no doubt once you get into the more expensive EF range the build quality must improve, but bang for buck, doesnt look good in the cheaper ones.
my 2c
ps. Been trying to push the button on the Sigma 30mm f1.4 for about a week now.
Do you think its worth having if you have the Panny 20mm already Jeff?
Old May 9th, 2011, 02:52 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Harper View Post
I can't believe no one has responded to my post. Is no one using EF lenses?
No I am not. I have a number of lovely 'L' lenses that I use with my 5D Mk II but I don't see any point in trying to use them. I also have some lovely Canon FD 'L' lenses that I use on my Panasonic AG-AF101. I have tried them on my GH2 but both the FD & EF lenses weigh a ton compared to the Panasonic MFT lenses & make the tiny plastic camera feel grossly unbalanced.

I own three MFT lenses that I use with the GH2, the 20mm F/1.7, the 7-14mm zoom & 14-140mm zoom & these pretty much cover any situation that I need although I do have the Voigtlander Nokton 25mm F/0.95 on order.
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2011, 03:42 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Gerald, I love the 30mm, it is my favorite lens, overall. It is an odd length, but I love it.

It is not really better than the 20mm in any way, though I thought it was at first. But I really like the length, it just works for me.

I hate to recommend it, cause I don't know what you would use it for, but it's great for me.

The Tamron will solve a few issues for me at ceremonies, I believe. It has been compared favorably to the Canon version which costs over twice as much, with it "supposedly" being superior in one or two aspects over the Canon. The Canon version was voted among the top favorite lenses of Canon photographers at photo.net, which is what got my attention.

I'm going to get it, but I need to sell my 85mm F/1.2L first.
Old May 9th, 2011, 04:36 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Nigel, I would absolutely love to try the 7-14mm lens. The images it produces, and the width, are fantastic. Very nice quality, but too slow for most of the times I would use it professionally.

Wide lenses such as that one are absolutely invaluable.
Old May 9th, 2011, 04:39 PM   #8
Major Player

Jeff, what do you mean only two settings for primes? I was talking about having the one focal distance (say 50mm), but artificially zooming in or out to get the ideal framing with the GH2's zooming feature. Wouldn't that give the GH2 much more than 2 settings using a prime lens?

Though I see your point about having to turn the camera on/off to use the zoom feature.
Zhong Cheung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2011, 05:09 PM   #9
Inner Circle

Teleconverter on or off, two settings. I guess it can be adjusted, I don't know, but I've not done it. It is an excellent feature, and I have used it once on a paid job and it worked great, but for the most part it is better for me to use zooms on my primary camera.
Old May 9th, 2011, 07:55 PM   #10
Trustee

Jeff, is that Tamron lens not available in a Nikon mount? You could then use it with an G-lens adaptor to maintain aperture control.
John Wiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2011, 08:08 PM   #11
Inner Circle

John, excellent suggestion, thank you. I'm wanting to buy a Canon camera, (some day) and would like to get double use from the lens.

There is an adapter that will allow for aperture control with Canon lenses, I think it's the Kipon.
Old May 9th, 2011, 09:10 PM   #12
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Harper View Post
I hate to recommend it, cause I don't know what you would use it for, but it's great for me.
I mainly want it for weddings, same as you.
The 20mm while a nice lens cant seem to achieve the narrow depth of field I can get with my 50mm FD.
I feel like I need to feed my "rackfocus-itus" for a little longer, lol.
The Sigma has more a conventional focus ring than the 20mm that just turns and turns doesnt it?
What do you do when the lights go down for the reception, or in this terrible situation....
I was lucky I had other cams in the room.
Attached Thumbnails
Who's using EF lenses with the GH1 and GH2?  How's that working out?-oh-no...jpg  
Old May 9th, 2011, 09:24 PM   #13
Inner Circle

If you want DOF, you definitely can get it with the Sigma. The focus ring is much better than the Panasonic, now that you mention it. It is the easiest of my 5 lenses to focus with, by far.

And if you use the auto focus with the Sigma, then switch the AF to MF on the lens barrell and you can fine tune it from there, which cannot be done with the 20mm.

The more you talk about it, I'm thinking you would very much like it. I haven't used it at a wedding yet, but I will be this Saturday!
Old May 9th, 2011, 09:44 PM   #14
Trustee

Sounding better and better.
How will you use it Jeff, fixed or run and gun?
Old May 9th, 2011, 09:54 PM   #15
Inner Circle

I'm not sure how I'm going to use it yet, to be honest. I'll be running three cams for the reception, and I'll likely use the 20mm for off tripod stuff, as it shows less movement when I'm moving than the 30mm.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series