DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-lumix-s-g-gf-gh-gx-series/)
-   -   ETC mode not working (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-lumix-s-g-gf-gh-gx-series/495487-etc-mode-not-working.html)

Jeff Harper May 5th, 2011 04:17 PM

ETC mode not working

Anyone happen to know why it might be the ETC mode on my GH2 is not working? What are the parameters when it operates? I'm using a lens I've used many times, the 20mm, and I've tried it in many modes, but today the ETC mode won't work, even when it says it is on.

I've used it in succesfully movie mode, but today it wouldn't work, and I tried the various modes within movie mode: AP, SP, Manual, etc. I've tried it with three different lenses.

Brian Luce May 5th, 2011 09:22 PM

Re: ETC mode not working

Try it in Manual Movie mode, "M" with the camera icon. It will work.

Martyn Hull May 6th, 2011 12:26 AM

Jeff, I use the manual movie mode for video and I cant understand why if you switch to E-T-C on it would not work if there is not a fault with your GH2, incidentally I am one of the few it seems who find E-T-C degrades the picture quality, perhaps I have problems with my GH2 in that way.

Bill Bruner May 6th, 2011 02:12 AM

Jeff -- Your picture size may be too big. ETC doesn't work in still mode if picture size (page 1 in the camera's "REC" menu) is set above "M" or medium.

See footnote 1 on page 66 of the manual, which says: "The magnification level differs depending on [PICTURE SIZE] and [ASPECT RATIO] setting."

And it doesn't work for RAW, regardless of the picture size.

The Venus 2 is an awesome image processing engine, but it has limits.

Hope this is helpful.

Bill

Jeff Harper May 6th, 2011 05:33 AM

Thanks Bill, very useful info. Now if I can get this feature back in movie mode, as that is my primary issue, all will be well. I see in my post I wasn't clear, I'll clear that up now. The AP and SP modes, etc I used were while in movie mode, not picture.

I have time to check in the manual today also.

Jeff Harper May 6th, 2011 08:00 AM

Brian, I did, and it didn't. I've used it before. I think it is the lens, but I had no idea the feature was limited to certain lenses. By the way, it is so weird, Brian, email notifications of your posts often show up long after you actually post...which I don't get, so I will often not see them, as I rely on my emails to respond.

Anyway, the manual says it may not work with certain lenses.

Kin Lau May 6th, 2011 11:15 AM

You don't have a monitor plugged into the camera right?

Jeff Harper May 6th, 2011 01:01 PM

No Kin. I tried it with the 20mm pancake on my GH1 today, SAME thing! What am I, jinxed? It says it's on, but no change in view. Too weird, doesn't make sense.

Martyn Hull May 6th, 2011 03:12 PM

It is supposed to work with any lens, it does with my 4 current ones .

Jeff Harper May 6th, 2011 05:42 PM

I used it effectively with my 30mm, worked like a charm on the GH2.

I can't find anything that says it is limited to certain lenses, but I swear I thought I read that somewhere!

Kin Lau May 6th, 2011 06:54 PM

Try a full reset/reboot of the GH2, battery out, wait 1/2 hr or longer.

Jeff Harper May 6th, 2011 10:31 PM

Kin, I will try that. I tried using the 20mm with the same camera, and the ETC didn't work. My circuit board was replaced by Panasonic, maybe it's buggy. Or maybe it's me, I don't know.

Bill Bruner May 8th, 2011 02:32 AM

Jeff - I've been trying to replicate your problem, but nothing I do seems to kill ETC in video mode.

The only thing I came up with that I didn't mention before is that it will not work in IA, still or video. But you were in AP and SP, so I'm flummoxed.

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.

Bill

Jeff Harper May 8th, 2011 09:21 AM

Bill, I sure appreciate you're help. I might take time to play with it some more today, and will be methodical in my testing and have some definitive answers as to what is happening.