Are the GH2 and other DSLRs practical for weddings - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series

Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
4K and AVCHD on a Full Frame or Micro Four Thirds system with interchangeable lenses.

Old May 10th, 2011, 08:09 AM   #16
Inner Circle

Re: Are the GH2 and other DSLRs practical for weddings

Martyn, if Nigel is correct that the Canon has the same chip as his camera, speculation ends pretty much there. It doesn't matter which camera it is in, it's going to perform pretty much the same, though a better lens may help, etc, but it won't be significatly better in low light.

The Canon may be excellent for it's size, but it is still a 1/3" chip camera. I for one don't care, if it shot in modes I wanted, I'm sure it would be a fine little camera to have.

The GH2 sensor is close to .9 inches diagonally, which is approaching triple the size of the Canon sensor.

Again, it's apples and oranges anyway. They each have their use!

Last edited by Jeff Harper; May 10th, 2011 at 10:47 AM.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2011, 10:08 AM   #17
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Wiley View Post
As has been said already, they fit perfectly with some styles and not so well with others. For one man weddings they are probably too much hassle but with a crew of 2 or 3, it opens up the possibilities immensely and gives you more opportunity to play to the strengths of DSLRs/GH2 and avoid the weaknesses.
Even for a one man band a DSLR can be used in combination with one or more traditional video cameras capturing safety shots & using the DSLR for the the roaming & candid work plus the more 'arty' shots.
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2011, 11:30 AM   #18
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Ogiba View Post
For low light at weddings I think the GH2 with Voigtländer Nokton 25mm f/0.95 and Steadicam Merlin might be an interesting setup.
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5092/...98777113_b.jpg
When I use the Merlin I switch to the Lumix 14-42mm. I don't think the Voigtlander is wide enough to use on there. However, witch the extremely light weight of the Camera and stock lens it makes stabilizing a little more difficult. The Voigtlander has some nice weight, so it would probably make flying easier. Either way, you want a deep DOF when on the Merlin since you can't adjust focus, so using the Voigt seems pointless.
Patrick Janka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2011, 11:55 AM   #19
Inner Circle

The 7-14mm 2.8 - 4.? is really nice for flying.
Old May 11th, 2011, 12:25 PM   #20
Major Player

Yeah, I definitely wouldn't mind having that len$ lol. Jeff, you said you had one or both of those Olympus f/2.8 zooms, right? How is/are it/they working out? btw, I like your website. Nice and clean.
Old May 11th, 2011, 12:40 PM   #21
Inner Circle

My website is out of date and I find it tired and worn out looking, but your kind remarks are appreciated. I put it together a couple of years ago and I just haven't made a move to put up a new one.

I really like my Sigma 18-50mm F/2.8, it is at times my favorite lens. I have a polarizing lens on it now and I'm going to the park.

My Tamron which is on the way from B&H will be very useful, and I'm excited about it. But we always say that about new equipment, don't we? Still, it might become my walkaround lens with that kind of range.
Old May 11th, 2011, 02:28 PM   #22
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Janka View Post
When I use the Merlin I switch to the Lumix 14-42mm. I don't think the Voigtlander is wide enough to use on there. However, witch the extremely light weight of the Camera and stock lens it makes stabilizing a little more difficult. The Voigtlander has some nice weight, so it would probably make flying easier. Either way, you want a deep DOF when on the Merlin since you can't adjust focus, so using the Voigt seems pointless.
At F1.4 it has DOF equal to a 50mm @F2.8 on a FF DSLR like the 5D MK2 so it might have enough DOF.
Joe Ogiba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2011, 02:34 PM   #23
Inner Circle

Forgetting DOF, the 25mm is just too wide for classic moving shots. Yes, of course you could "make it work" and get some nice shots, but for flying, for general purposes, most people want a wide lens. 50mm effective is just too long, at least it would be for me.
Old May 11th, 2011, 04:33 PM   #24
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Hohauser View Post
Somebody asked me to shoot an Off-Broadway show this week with a single GH2. I told them flat out, this is the WRONG camera for this. A video camera is the way to go. In such a situation the GH2 is b-roll and inserts at best. The same goes for weddings. Yes, some shots will be fantastic but too much will be lost while fiddling with the focus/exposure/shutter/ISO.
I might agree with you on the DSLR being the wrong camera for a stage show, maybe. But the wrong camera for a wedding? Really? There are plenty of studios who do this successfully every week. We are one of them. The key, of course, is multiple cameras, using 3 or 4. I would argue that even with a "video" camera we need to always be adjusting focus/shutter/ISO, and that shooting in auto mode is NOT the way to go, especially with stage performances.
Jim Greene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2011, 08:32 PM   #25
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Ogiba View Post
At F1.4 it has DOF equal to a 50mm @F2.8 on a FF DSLR like the 5D MK2 so it might have enough DOF.
I mostly use the Merlin outside, and I have the lens stopped down for a deep depth of field. You wouldn't want to use a low f stop because your dof would be too shallow and your subject wouldn't stay in focus while moving.
Old May 12th, 2011, 01:14 AM   #26
Major Player

This is the type of filming I like doing with my GH2, Chris is my middle name and I use it mostly.
Martyn Hull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2011, 07:40 AM   #27
Inner Circle

Chris, nice shots, I very much enjoyed watching your clip. Since you shoot so much outdoors and often have water in your scenes, you might consider trying out an inexpensive polarizing lens. I think you would love the results even more.

Please post more when you can!
Old May 12th, 2011, 03:13 PM   #28
Major Player

Very nice shooting Grant. I agree with Jeff about the polarizing filter -- it makes a world of difference.

Have you noticed any artifacts with the GH1/GH2 when shooting things like grass/areas of patterns? I set up a shot in my living room the other day, and in areas of repeating patterns -- the carpet -- and in areas of large blocks of color -- the wall -- I noticed some very funky things happening in the way of blocky artifacts. In fact, the carpet looked like it was dancing around a bit. And I swear I wasn't on anything ;)
Corey Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2011, 08:38 PM   #29
Inner Circle

I've noticed moire Corey, but only once, only on a striped tie. But as it turned out, it was only on the LCD, it did not show up on the clip later.
Old May 12th, 2011, 10:49 PM   #30
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Greene View Post
I might agree with you on the DSLR being the wrong camera for a stage show, maybe. But the wrong camera for a wedding? Really? There are plenty of studios who do this successfully every week. We are one of them. The key, of course, is multiple cameras, using 3 or 4. I would argue that even with a "video" camera we need to always be adjusting focus/shutter/ISO, and that shooting in auto mode is NOT the way to go, especially with stage performances.
Of course multiple cameras are a solution, I shoot interviews, concerts and other events with multiple cameras. But if you are a single cameraperson the GH2 is going to be a hard job in live event situations. A pro video camera has all the controls in a operable place whereas the GH2 has many of them in inconvenient menus. A pro video camera has live focus assist while the GH2 is difficult unless you use the EVF which isn't always easy. A video camera has wide DOF even at low f-stops compared to a GH2. Zooming is rough with the GH2 and you do need smooth zooming to cover some stage events with one camera. The GH2 is a great camera, I have already used it for several different shoots with success but it's not a camera with which I would be comfortable in a situation where only one camera is recording a live event. And I never said it was the wrong camera for a wedding, it's a difficult camera for a wedding unless people do as you do and I'm sure your work is excellent.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series