GH2 good for low light 2 plus hour shoots? - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
4K and AVCHD on a Full Frame or Micro Four Thirds system with interchangeable lenses.

Old May 27th, 2011, 11:13 AM   #46
Inner Circle

Re: GH2 good for low light 2 plus hour shoots?

Nigel, see page 131, top of the page of manual. It works for sure. Camera comes with this on by default.
Old May 28th, 2011, 11:43 AM   #47
Inner Circle

Nigel, is it working out for you?
Old May 29th, 2011, 07:19 AM   #48
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Harper View Post
Nigel, is it working out for you?
Yes & no. Thanks for the pointer to the manual but I just discovered in my testing that this PRE AF setting on the CUSTOM menus does not work in 24p Cinema in Creative Motion Picture Mode which is what I use all the time for best image quality. In fact it appears that it doesn't work in any Creative Motion Picture Mode either but it does work if you select M & then use the red record button to start & stop as you can press the shutter button halfway. If you are in Movie Mode the shutter button operates exactly as the red record button & pressing it halfway does nothing & pressing too hard stops recording. Is some other menu setting that I am missing? There are so many little irritations about this camera that I am sure could all be fixed in a firmware update if Panasonic were interested.
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2011, 07:26 AM   #49
Inner Circle

It does work in Manual Movie mode, I think, doesn't it? I don't think the shooting mode affects focus modes, but I might be wrong.

Something sounds wrong/off. You might have to try using the reset button in the menu, see if that restores things.

Which lens are you using when trying this? And you are in AFS or AFC mode right?
Old May 29th, 2011, 07:29 AM   #50
Inner Circle

I did some more testing. Evidently for press the shutter button halfway to focus you need CONTINUOUS AF set to ON in the MOTION PICTURE menu. Unfortunately this means that the rather poor continuous AF will hunt for focus in between you pressing the shutter button halfway to focus. Unless of course there is yet another menu item that I missed:-)
Old May 29th, 2011, 07:35 AM   #51
Inner Circle

If you're in AFS mode (using the dial on top of cam) the continous focus won't bother you, so you should be good to go!
Old May 29th, 2011, 08:43 AM   #52
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Harper View Post
If you're in AFS mode (using the dial on top of cam) the continous focus won't bother you, so you should be good to go!
I have it in AFS mode but that doesn't help. With CONTINUOUS AF set to ON in the MOTION PICTURE menu it still does continuous AF when in Creative Motion Picture Mode either Manual Movie or 24P Cinema even when the dial is turned to AFS. It's just the same as if you turn the dial to AFC. Turning the dial to MF does disable continuous AF but also disables pressing the shutter button halfway to get focus.

I am testing with the 14-140mm Panansonic lens that is apparently the one that is best optimised for video recording.
Old May 29th, 2011, 10:28 AM   #53
Inner Circle

Hmmm, I thought the hunting stopped in AFS, I might be mistaken. I use so many different types of lenses, most do not work with the continuous focus, but do with the shutter focus, so it is not a huge problem for me. I'll try and play with it later.
Old May 29th, 2011, 11:08 AM   #54
Inner Circle

I just checked with the 7-14mm F/4 Panasonic lens & that also does continuous AF in AFS mode if CONTINUOUS AF is set to ON in the MOVIE menu. It's difficult to know whether these quirks are bugs or intended behaviour.
Old May 29th, 2011, 04:21 PM   #55
Inner Circle

If you turn off continuous focus on the menu does it stop the shutter focus from working? They are separate settings, I would hope they would work indpendently of each other, maybe not.
Old May 30th, 2011, 06:16 PM   #56
Inner Circle

PRE AF in the menu should be OFF, you camera won't hunt if it's off.
Brian Luce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2011, 03:43 AM   #57
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Luce View Post
PRE AF in the menu should be OFF, you camera won't hunt if it's off.
Thanks! I seem to have it all working now just as I want with no continuous AF but with focus when the shutter button is pressed halfway. I have PRE AF set to OFF & CONTINUOUS AF also set to OFF. My only complaint now is that the focusing is not as quick or precise when you press the the shutter button halfway while recording. In standby the focusing locks & beeps instantly but while recording the focus hunts a little going back & forth before settling. It's quite precise when it gets focus & I suppose that I can cover the hunting with a cutaway shot from another camera.
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series