the gh2 - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series

Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
4K and AVCHD on a Full Frame or Micro Four Thirds system with interchangeable lenses.

Old May 25th, 2011, 09:56 AM   #16
Major Player

Re: the gh2

Mike,
Have you looked through vimeo to compare footage? I haven't looked at enough gh2 footage, but from what I can tell its more of a videocamera footage (very sharp) compared to a film type of look. Something like NFL coverage compared to a hollywood blockbuster. I use a 5d2 and a t2i. I use the t2i with magic lantern with the auto resume feature to keep it rolling during a ceremony (w/ 2 sec delays every 12 min). The next wedding I have a documentary deliverable so I've rented a gh2 to try it out.

I think the gh2 is in the lead for video quality, come spring and digi v, canon will most likely take back the title. I'm hoping the next line up of 4/3 camera have still image quality that is worth buying one, because they are great for a pocket camera to take everywhere. I might do what the other advise and get a gh1 to hold me off.
Greg Fiske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2011, 10:10 AM   #17
Regular Crew

FWIW, since I got my GH2 my 60D has not been used at all for video work. The 60D has been relegated to stills which it does a great job at. The GH2 is an incredible camera for video.

Here's a quick moire test I did with my 60D and GH2...

Forrest
Forrest Burger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2011, 10:12 AM   #18
Regular Crew

I see what you mean about the lenses being important. The 14-140 kit that you can get with the gh2 is a noticable difference when compared to the cheaper 14-42 kit.

Looks like a 50mm lens is very versatile so that will definitely be one I plan to get.
Mike Leah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2011, 10:47 AM   #19
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Janka View Post
The GH2 has 60p in 720p. The 24p in 60i was a problem with the GH1, which didn't have true 24p.
Ok, you're right the 60p in SD mode, but not HD mode.

So what was your point about the GH2 having 720p? They all have that...is there something I'm missing?
Old May 25th, 2011, 11:43 AM   #20
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Harper View Post
Ok, you're right the 60p in SD mode, but not HD mode.

So what was your point about the GH2 having 720p? They all have that...is there something I'm missing?
You originally said: "The 60D has 60p, the GH2 doesn't, except in 24p in a 60i wrapper."

I said they both have 60p. You then said the 60D had 60p in 1080p, which is not true. Finally, the 24p in a 60i wrapper was how the GH1 processed 24p, which is not the case with the GH2. The GH2 has true 24p.
Patrick Janka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2011, 01:27 PM   #21
Inner Circle

1. I cannot find where I said the 60d has 60p, specifically, but it does, in two modes, 720 HD and in SD mode. In SD it offers 60p, but who cares, so that's a wash.

2. The GH2 doesn't have 1080 60p, it has 1080 24p, and 720 60p.

3. I did say it has 24p in a 60i wrapper, and that is wrong, I have make that mistaken statement before, sorry.

4. They all have 720 60p.
Old May 25th, 2011, 02:21 PM   #22
Regular Crew

another question i was wondering, how does a gh1(that you cant hack) compare to the t2i and t3i video wise?

i will prob order the gh1 with the 14-42 kit lens just to learn on. Will prob be a month or so before i can get a better lens.
Mike Leah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2011, 02:31 PM   #23
Inner Circle

I would start by googling that until someone pops in. The GH1 has an articulating screen the t2i does not, t3i don't know.

You're kind of starting to bounce around a bit with models, which is fine, but you might do some searches for comparisons on your own. We don't have all the anwers on all the models!

Comparisons and reviews of these cams side by side are everywhere. That is where I would start. IMO. T2i vs GH1 will bring up a ton of reviews for example.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series