DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-lumix-s-g-gf-gh-gx-series/)
-   -   GH2 Focus sharpens when pushing record? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-lumix-s-g-gf-gh-gx-series/496435-gh2-focus-sharpens-when-pushing-record.html)

Steve Montoto May 26th, 2011 08:41 AM

GH2 Focus sharpens when pushing record?

I can say I have never noticed this until today when I was doing some tests with my Vivitar 28-105 on the GH2. When focusing there is a definite shift in sharpness after you press record, its especially noticeable when using the Ex Tele option. The both LCD and Viewfinder sharpen after pressing record, I tested the footage and it looks good but is annoying.

Are you guys experiencing this also, I read about the color shift but not sharpness.

Thanks!

Patrick Janka May 26th, 2011 12:02 PM

Re: GH2 Focus sharpens when pushing record?

Yeah, I noticed that since day 1. The camera is in no way WYSIWYG. It's even worse when taking pictures. Try taking the shutter up past 1/1500...the screen stops responding to shutter adjustments after that and remains bright even though the pics come out dark. When I hook up my Jag35 monitor the colors are totally skewed, as well. The colors are off and it's not HD. I got it to pull focus mainly, but even that isn't 100% accurate. You get what you pay for.

Jeff Harper May 26th, 2011 02:58 PM

One has to learn the idicosynracies of the camera, and they are many. Just as you guys are, I'm learning them too. It's a long struggle, but is paying off, finally.

As Patrick has pointed out, with photos it's really crazy; I find it particularly when using FD lenses, depending on the mode I choose.

I have settled on using Program Mode for photos. Works fine for my purposes, as I'm concetrating on video at present, since that is how I pay my rent. If I'm using a killer lens, the photos come out great.

For video, regardless of mode, I find as long as the meter thingy at the bottom of the screen shows perfect exposure, video comes out close to perfect, and doesn't shift as much. When there is a significant shift after hitting record, it means my exposure or other setting is off, and I stop and re-set things.

The focus thing I've noticed, a bit, and it has just made me hyper careful about focusing now. I shot a commercial today, and each shot took too long, relatively speaking, as every time we moved from one room to another, things had to be reset. For most shots today I just went with manual. With the Panasonic lens, I love the focus assist, and use the hell out of it.

In the end most of the video came out great, some a tad darker than I expected. After I'm done reviewing my footage I'm going to calibrate my screen, it's seems a bit bright compared to what I end up with.

Steve Montoto May 28th, 2011 06:39 PM

Thanks guys, and your right Jeff about all the little quirks. Im trying to sift through them and pretty much learn something new all the time.