Handy white balance tool at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
4K and AVCHD on a Full Frame or Micro Four Thirds system with interchangeable lenses.

Old June 5th, 2011, 09:39 PM   #1
Major Player

Handy white balance tool

I've been experimenting with this inexpensive white balance cap for the last three months. Recently used it on a week long project will lots of mixed lighting and it performed very well. I've only had it fail in one extremely difficult lighting situation.

Mennon White balance lens cap 72mm ($5.07) at Amazon.com

Simply compose your shot, hold the cap over your lens and perform manual white balance.

You may wish to purchase a size bigger than your largest lens.
Old June 6th, 2011, 02:19 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Handy white balance tool

Dan, I had read the Mennon caps tended to give a bluish cast. I bought a grey card today, but the cap would be easier, for sure.

I used to use white cards, but had mixed results. With these GH2s and the horrible auto white balance, I needed something. My photos and video camer out perfectly today, so happy. I am hooked on my grey card.

Anyway, I may order the Mennon if you recommend it. At $5 you can't go wrong.

Is the WB cap how you have setting the white balance for your outdoor stuff? Based on that it sure looks good.

Last edited by Jeff Harper; June 6th, 2011 at 08:28 AM.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2011, 11:02 AM   #3
Major Player

BHPhoto sells some $5 microfiber cleaning cloths that happen to be 18% grey... Handy, plus they have a grippy side to help wrestle off recalcitrant filters and the like. I keep two in every camera bag.

Most times I dial in 3200 or use one of the daylight presets. Usually only manual wb if there are fluoros I can't kill.
Old June 6th, 2011, 11:20 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Kevin, my problems, as I experienced on a shoot last week, was things were too red in the sun, and too cool in the shade.

I might have not had WB set properly, but I remember checking it. Things came out so weird, that yesterday I used the card everytime I moved, and it gave me confidence, as I cannot be sure with colors based on the LCD when I'm outdoors. To make matters worse, I have trouble with colors anyway.

You mentioned 18%, which is what my local store had available yesterday, I have but I've read that 10% is better for digital and that 18% is a throwback to film days, but I don't know.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series