ordered 20mm from adorama - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series

Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
4K and AVCHD on a Full Frame or Micro Four Thirds system with interchangeable lenses.

Old June 16th, 2011, 08:49 PM   #16
Inner Circle

Re: ordered 20mm from adorama

You can understand why I run five cameras now for weddings, even with two of them being outfitted with zoom!

The Sigma 18-50mm F/2.8 is not up to the quality of the Zuiko, of course, Kevin. But I certainly do recommend it as a fine inexpensive lens to have in your kit. At F/2.8 is is suitable for most situations. I shot an entire video two days ago with it, and it worked just great.

I had shot similar videos using all primes, and like you I decided the other day to give up and go with my Sigma, and it worked out real well. I only had to install/remove my polarizer as needed. It was a lot easier than carrying my bag around. One camera, one lens and a tripod. Piece of cake.
Old June 17th, 2011, 10:32 AM   #17
Regular Crew

that looks like a spectacular lens. The money you could spend on lenses adds up thats for sure. I sometimes wonder if I should have gotten something like the xa10 and call it a day.

Then i see some gh1/gh2 footage that blows me away and then I realize I made the right choice.

For narrative I think I can do everything I want with the 14-42, 20, and a 50.
Mike Leah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2011, 10:09 PM   #18
Major Player

FYI - the 20mm is in stock at Adorama as of today for $399.95 -- don't know how long they'll last...

Of course, if you want to emulate the smart people in this thread, and don't want to carry around a bunch of primes, you'll want to skip the 20mm and get the Olympus 14-54mm f2.8 and a 4/3 to m4/3 adapter ;-)
Bill Bruner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2011, 10:19 PM   #19
Inner Circle

Olympus looks nice lens Bill, but if you can find the Sigma 18-50 F/2.8 you'll have F/2.8 all the way through, for between $100 and $200 less. Your thinking along the right track, for sure.

I shoot with the Sigma a lot, but it doesn't compare in sharpness to the 20mm, that's for sure. I shot with them both Saturday, and the 20mm looked amazing. I never realize how great a lens it is till I see the footage later. It's really a remarkable lens for the money.
Old June 22nd, 2011, 11:03 AM   #20
Major Player

Jeff -- I'd love to buy the Sigma, but I've looked high and low for it in 4/3 mount, and, sadly, can't seem to find one.

I'd like to have auto aperture, so I really want the 4/3 mount.

They are "Currently Unavailable" at

, no longer available at http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/463442-REG/Sigma_581107_18_50mm_f_2_8_EX_DC.html and doesn't show up in search results at Adorama (or even eBay). Do you know where else they might be in stock?

Thanks,

Bill

Last edited by Bill Bruner; June 22nd, 2011 at 09:53 PM.
Old June 22nd, 2011, 11:05 AM   #21
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin McRoberts View Post
The more I get to paying for and then fiddling with all these wide/normal primes - 14, 20, 30, 35 - I'm more and more tempted to just sell the lot of them and invest in the Oly Zuiko 14-35/2.
It's a great lens and I'm sure you'll love the range - I know I love mine! But I still reach for my Nikkor 35/1.4 for a lot of situations, esp those which require heavy use of a FF because the Oly puts a lot of strain on your FF and support systems since turning its glass requires a ton of torque (relative to your old 35mm manual focus primes).
Aaron Courtney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2011, 12:28 PM   #22
Inner Circle

Bill, not in stock anywhere, they are out of production. I found mine on Craigslist, and they show up on ebay. They run similarly to the 20mm, auto focus, etc. You want a Sigma for Olympus mount, of course, 18-55. Even at F/2.8 the Sigma is too slow at times, so the Olympus 14-54 would never make my short list unless it was for outdoor work.
Old June 22nd, 2011, 09:55 PM   #23
Major Player

Thanks, Jeff, you're right. The constant f2.8 is the way to go. That disqualifies the Olympus.

Bill
Old June 23rd, 2011, 12:56 AM   #24
Inner Circle

Bill, I looked for you on ebay, nothing. I'd try craigslist every day, if you want that lens. I had almost given up finding one, then two appeared on craigslist in one day. You can also check Adorama and B&H used departments
Old June 23rd, 2011, 06:55 AM   #25
Regular Crew

The 20 came in. I like it a lot and no regrets on getting it. I hope to really break it in this weekend unless it rains.
Mike Leah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2011, 07:54 AM   #26
Inner Circle

Bill, Here's the lens, maybe you can make something happen with this guy in Seattle:

REDUCED PRICE -- Olympus EVOLT E-500 8.0MP SLR Digital Camera w/ gear

The price is fair, and I wouldn't haggle too much, but rather snatch it up. I saw one on ebay go for $185 in March, but the lens is definitely worth $350. That's about the right price.
Old June 23rd, 2011, 11:44 AM   #27
Major Player

Thanks, Jeff!
Old June 23rd, 2011, 03:38 PM   #28
Major Player

Has anybody considered the Sigma 20mm f1.8? I picked it up on Ebay for about $400 for my GH2/AF-100 and it works GREAT. A little soft (as expected) at 1.8, but great from 2.8 on. I have however used it full open on close ups shallow DOF shots with great results. Will post some footage soon.
Any thoughts or any other people that have used this lens??

Carlo Zanella
The Santa Fe TV Show
Carlo Zanella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2011, 07:20 PM   #29
Inner Circle

The Panasonic 20mm F/1.7 is $399, is faster than the Sigma, and needs no adapter. Can't think of a single reason for buying the Sigma over the Panasonic, unless I'm missing something. Glad you found a nice lens though, Carlo.

I personally find the Panasonic sharper than my Sigma 30mm F/1.4, and I suspect it is also sharper than the Sigma 20mm, but I can't know that of course, since I've never used it. I like Sigmas, but they do tend to be soft, just as Tamrons seem to be.
Old June 25th, 2011, 02:37 PM   #30
Major Player

One good reason is the ability to use a FF. Second, and this is just my opinion, to me Sigmas look more "organic" less "contrasty-digital" than the stock Panasonic lenses (I am referring to the 14-140 only). May be the Panny 20mm is different - I can't comment on that specific one because I don't have it. The 20mm Sigma is just a beautiful lens, a little soft full open, very usable with the NIkon to 4/3 adaptor and easy to operate with FF and matte box (internal focus, unlike some Prime FDs that I love, but they move back and forth while focusing (and have a quite noticeable amount of breathing).

Carlo Zanella
The Santa Fe TV Show
Carlo Zanella is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series