How to shoot a wedding with the GH2/GH1 - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
4K and AVCHD on a Full Frame or Micro Four Thirds system with interchangeable lenses.

Old June 29th, 2011, 02:06 PM   #16
Inner Circle

Re: How to shoot a wedding with the GH2/GH1

Jonathon, yes, when you depress the shutter button halfway it will show that information. If you do that and move the camera around it will show the changes also. You can use that method to decide on your exposure and/or focus and push the AE/AF button to lock it if needed. Very handy, thanks to Ian for repeatedly pushing that idea, works wonders.

John, nice effort. I can't rely on a recorder, no good for me. My Sony wireless has never let me down. I know a lot of guys are using recorders, but I just cant rely on them. Just my two cents.

It is very hard to use these cameras and get the images I want, very hard. They are capable of so much, but require so much attention to detail.
Old July 4th, 2011, 07:47 PM   #17
Inner Circle

I attempted to use shutter priority Saturday, and what a nightmare for outdoor use in a run and gun situation. The shifting in exposure was very rough and ruined a lot of shots. In the middle of a shot the aperture would quickly change from some imperceptible change in light that I never saw, and the resulting footage turned out to be useless in many cases. I did use AE lock a few times, but overall I have to learn how to shoot using shutter priority, it's completely different. In program mode the changes are smooth like butter, in shutter priority they are abrupt.
Old July 4th, 2011, 10:56 PM   #18
Trustee

This is why I prefer to shoot manual even though it is a PITA.

Outdoors would be a beast with S mode. I think manual is good for outdoors and then shutter for indoors.
Thomas Smet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2011, 12:02 AM   #19
Major Player

Jeff, does AE lock work in P mode? I have not found it .
Martyn Hull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2011, 05:53 AM   #20
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Smet View Post
This is why I prefer to shoot manual even though it is a PITA.
In the wedding I did this past weekend, I shot fully manual with the GH1 -- Creative Movie Mode in manual, and manual focus. It's a lot more work, but the results are far better than the last few weddings I've done using autofocus and any level of auto exposure. I'm getting better at manually focusing with the EVF, and it's paying off.
Corey Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2011, 09:05 AM   #21
Inner Circle

Manual focus is best most times, but Auto Focus is quite useful at the right times. For indoor work I will stick with Shutter Priority, as Thomas recommends, it is quite good for my purposes, but for outdoor shooting in fast changing circumstances (following a photographer around) it is rough.

I am shooting a model outdoors this evening, possibly. I will Shutter Priority again and Manual mode as well, as I will be in control of the shoot. I also have to learn when to switch metering modes as well, as that can have a huge impact.
Old July 5th, 2011, 09:18 AM   #22
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Harper View Post
Manual focus is best most times, but Auto Focus is quite useful at the right times.
True. I should probably have said that I'm using the GH1 mostly at the reception because of its low-light capabilities with the right lenses. In those run-and-gun situations where I don't have the option of reshooting, I can't let the autofocus hunt around, as it's been prone to do.

I will use autofocus in other situations like establishing shots or slower-paced preceremony shooting. If the focus-hunting ruins my shot, I can usually to a retake in those situations.
Corey Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2011, 11:04 AM   #23
Trustee

The problem with letting the camera decide on brightness is that a single tiny highlight on a car could make the camera register as a new brightness level. Even a little glare off a pond could be enough to trick it. Indoors is much easier but outdoors may actually be better with manual. This way at least the camera will not decide to step down when you hit one of these tiny bright spots. This way you keep a proper shutter speed and also prevent the camera's aperture from hunting. The plus side to this is typically the brightness will not change as much outdoors so it should be fairly easy to handle.
Old July 5th, 2011, 11:21 AM   #24
Inner Circle

Thomas, you seem to have a very good handle on how to use the camera, that is clear. I dislike manual because I do such a poor job of judging proper exposure. In addition, for wedding stuff, it's so fast paced at times, it's all I can do to keep up with focus, as the time spent adjusting exposure would seem to cause missed shots. Practice is what is needed, obviously.

Program mode (within manual movie mode, of course) seems to more often than not judge exposure very well, better than I seem to. As you or someone else said, it's too bad we can't set shutter speed within program mode, but there it is.
Old July 6th, 2011, 08:21 AM   #25
Trustee

Jeff I totally agree with you. Manual is a PITA and I'm also still to work out the kinks. I have messed up many shots because of it. At the same time however I have shots that I feel turned out better because of it.

Honestly I'm not sure a camera like this or any DSLR can ever have a one solution fits all mode. Thats why they have so many modes after all.

Another thing to consider is getting a ND filter for outdoor shooting. It is the proper method to control the brightness when shooting outdoors so you don't have to adjust aperture or the shutter. It may help the S mode not hunt as much or the P mode not have to drop the shutter so much when shooting in bright sunlight.
Old July 6th, 2011, 11:07 AM   #26
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Smet View Post

Another thing to consider is getting a ND filter for outdoor shooting. It is the proper method to control the brightness when shooting outdoors so you don't have to adjust aperture or the shutter. It may help the S mode not hunt as much or the P mode not have to drop the shutter so much when shooting in bright sunlight.
That is definitely a good idea. It also helps avoid those ugly aperture steps which result from changing to brighter or darker areas when moving the camera from sunlit to shady areas for example. I think that results in some ugly looking clips. With a ND fader filter, you can smoothly change the filter value and avoid this. It also helps avoid using excessively fast shutter speeds when shooting outdoors which can give an unattractive strobing effect. I have one and it was definitely a good investment.
Jim Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2011, 08:37 PM   #27
Inner Circle

I had 4 of them, sold three of them and got Polarizers instead. I still have the ND filter for my 20mm, which is the most imprortant one for me for run and gun wedding work. I wish I'd used it Saturday.
Old July 12th, 2011, 02:41 PM   #28
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Harper View Post
Thomas, you seem to have a very good handle on how to use the camera, that is clear. I dislike manual because I do such a poor job of judging proper exposure.
just expose to an 18% grey card and then adjust minimally for highlights and shadow details (due to limited dynamic range) and finalize your results in post. you've got to lock these cameras down because exposure changes in motion pictures are simply unacceptable. and if you're filming 24P, then you want 1/50 shutter unless under fluorescents.
Aaron Courtney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2011, 12:45 PM   #29
Inner Circle

Any GH2 shooters getting moire issues on the bridal veils?
Brian Luce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2011, 03:53 AM   #30
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martyn Hull View Post
That's strange, I had the predecessor T2i and compared to my GH2 its no contest, the GH2 has far better video, far easier to shoot video, the only thing is there isn't the lens selection but I dont want hundreds of lenses. My 6 cover all I will ever need.

Martyn,
Please tell me what lenses and adapters you have in your arsenal.

Thanks,
Jeff
Jeff Hinson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series