Beachtek DXA-SLR XLR adaptor at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
4K and AVCHD on a Full Frame or Micro Four Thirds system with interchangeable lenses.

Old July 2nd, 2011, 10:01 AM   #1
Major Player

Beachtek DXA-SLR XLR adaptor

Has used the Beachtek DXA-SLR XLR adaptor?

I posted this on another forum ... but thought I'd see if anyone here can weigh in.

Sounds like the preamps are okay and that it will eliminate ACG on the GH2. Levels can be seen onscreen (on the GH2) and can be played back through the Beachtek into your headphones. And it includes a Beachtek to 2.5mm minijack.

I know recording dual sound is ideal, but sometimes (for me) it just isn't possible ... and I thought this would be a second best solution.

If only the GH2 hack could give us audio out of the mini-hdmi port ...

Thanks all.
Dave Mercer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2011, 08:45 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: Beachtek DXA-SLR XLR adaptor

I take it no one has tried this out yet? If hack can eliminate GH2 ACG (and allow for audio monitoring) this could be a great tool no?
Dave Mercer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2011, 11:32 AM   #3
Inner Circle

There is no need for a hack the GH2 already has manual audio control not AGC, you have to delve down into the menus to adjust the level. You can monitor the recording levels with o screen meters but you cannot adjust the levels during recording.
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2011, 01:07 PM   #4
Regular Crew

I have found the AGC not able to be disabled, I do believe the new hack holds promise in this area.
Here is a previous post of mine from another forum:

I am trying to turn out video that meets the ITU R BS1770 standard so I downloaded a speech sample that has a loudness range LKFS -24 (the gold standard) this works out to -20 db and true peaks should be -12. To avoid microphone variences, preamp distortion and so on I loaded a -20 db1kHz to my computer with the speech sample. I played it thru my Sony PCM D-50 output (
Output impedance: 220 ohms;Output level: 1.7V; Load impedance 22k ohms
Total Harmonic Distortion (Line Input to Line Output) 0.01% or below (1kHz, 22kHz LPF)
S/N Ratio 93dB or greater (1kHz IHF-A) when set to 24-bit) and into the Sescom to the GH2.
IT's Hot: even setting the sony to record the -20db tone exactly at -20db by the time it got to the GH2 it was -12db NO MATTER WHAT MIC LEVEL WAS SET. I tried all mic settings and apparently when you plug in a mic they are disabled.
I looked at the wave form on both the Sony and GH2 (after removing 8db from the GH2) I could see very little evidence of the ACG. I was able to get a floor noise out of GH2 to -72db very acceptable, other than that there was no evidence of a lack in dynamic range, the gh2 showed only two spots of clipping making me believe it's not pumping up the gain, rather limiting the peaks.
The quality was very good but: if your feeding it with a recorder or preamp I suggest lowering the db 8-10 more than normal;since I am recording into the Sony at 24bit I can take the hit but nice to know the GH2 audio is really pretty good.
Why both? Plural eyes has failed me using just the built in mic (which the forementioned mic level is for I guess), I've been too far away from my subject.
On the GH13 the -20 db tone showed up as -8db. So turn down those pre amps and recorder outputs folks.
Roy Feldman is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series