DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-lumix-s-g-gf-gh-gx-series/)
-   -   GH2: Titan II "Mutually Assured Destruction" (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-lumix-s-g-gf-gh-gx-series/498458-gh2-titan-ii-mutually-assured-destruction.html)

Dan Carter July 15th, 2011 12:18 AM

GH2: Titan II "Mutually Assured Destruction"

A "Top-to-Bottom" tour of the Titan II Missile Museum located in Sahuarita, Arizona.

Mutual Assured Destruction, or mutually assured destruction (MAD), is a doctrine of military strategy and national security policy in which a full-scale use of high-yield weapons of mass destruction by two opposing sides would effectively result in the complete, utter and irrevocable annihilation of both the attacker and the defender, becoming thus a war that has no victory nor any armistice but only effective reciprocal destruction. It is based on the theory of deterrence according to which the deployment, and implicit menace of use, of strong weapons is essential to threaten the enemy in order to prevent the use by said-enemy of the same weapons against oneself. The strategy is effectively a form of Nash equilibrium in which neither side, once armed, has any incentive to disarm thereafter. "Wikipedia"

Panasonic DMC-GH2
Lumix 14mm f2.5 lens
Benro tripod
Manfrotto 701HDV head

Jim Forrest July 17th, 2011 07:43 PM

Re: GH2: Titan II "Mutually Assured Destruction"

Very nice....and interesting too.

Surprised you didn't colorize with some effect.

Dan Carter July 18th, 2011 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Forrest (Post 1667947)
Very nice....and interesting too.

Surprised you didn't colorize with some effect.

Thanks for the good words Jim, I'm glad you found the project interesting. This facility is so fascinating and complex, I could have spent several days collecting clips.

Though I use Black & White on occasion, I'm not a fan of colorizing effects. I do however almost always set the GH2 to Vibrant and +2 saturation.

Thank you for watching.

James Campbell July 19th, 2011 04:50 AM

Nice work, Dan. What were you doing for the zooms?

Dan Carter July 20th, 2011 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by James Campbell (Post 1668231)
Nice work, Dan. What were you doing for the zooms?

Thanks for watching James. Glad you enjoyed it.

Since the Lumix 14mm, f2.5 was used for the entire project, the small zooms were done in post.

James Campbell July 21st, 2011 03:15 PM

You know... I was wondering if you just did the zoom in post. Not that it was obvious or poorly done, it was just done so precisely, I figured you either had an amazing follow focus system (which I would have wanted to purchase!) or it was a digital zoom in/out.

Jim Forrest July 23rd, 2011 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan Carter (Post 1668178)
Thanks for the good words Jim, I'm glad you found the project interesting. This facility is so fascinating and complex, I could have spent several days collecting clips.

Though I use Black & White on occasion, I'm not a fan of colorizing effects. I do however almost always set the GH2 to Vibrant and +2 saturation.

Thank you for watching.

I just thought you might have added a little more dramatic effects since it is such a serious topic.
I would like to visit that place, I didn't think there were anymore silos left with anything in them.
You seem to have the most interesting locations around where you live!
We have the GreenBrier around here out in the country....of either VA or WVA, I forget but no one is allowed inside.
The GreenBriar is a resort hotel with a whole underground complex for the Congress in the event of a nuclear war. Love to shoot in there.

Jeff Harper July 23rd, 2011 10:25 PM

Jim, Greenbrier is actually now a tourist thing, and I would love to see it.

Dan Carter July 23rd, 2011 11:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Forrest (Post 1669457)
I just thought you might have added a little more dramatic effects since it is such a serious topic.
I would like to visit that place, I didn't think there were anymore silos left with anything in them.
You seem to have the most interesting locations around where you live!
We have the GreenBrier around here out in the country....of either VA or WVA, I forget but no one is allowed inside.
The GreenBriar is a resort hotel with a whole underground complex for the Congress in the event of a nuclear war. Love to shoot in there.

Jim,

I've seen a short documentary on GreenBriar, that too would be a great place to spend a day. Not to put the pressure on, but I'm looking forward to your video report on the facility.

Jim Forrest July 24th, 2011 10:52 AM

Yeah I am going to go there....right now all is see is a number to call for a tour but I don't think they have started the tours open to the public....I will check. Have to be sure 'cause it is 250 miles from DC.
Long day trip, or over night but not at the Green Briar....way too expensive for me.

Jeff Harper July 24th, 2011 02:02 PM

Jim, been a tourist attraction for many years now, the govenment closed it and handed it over in 1992 I think I read. It has a website, etc. but the photos do not show up for some reason on the photos page.

Google it if you need to, lots of information on it. Really cool place, at least it looks like it.

Rob Morse July 24th, 2011 08:52 PM

I was shooting b-roll of the Holyfield fight, early this year, at the Greenbriar. I saw where the they had trains that would bring them there but I didn't know there was something inside to view. I'm trying to get a GH2 but nobody has them.

Jeff Harper July 24th, 2011 09:08 PM

Here's the website: The Bunker | The Greenbrier Resort, White Sulphur Springs, WV

I may put that on a list of things to see, sounds extremely interesting, thanks for mentioning it Jim.