Recommend me a zoom lens. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
4K and AVCHD on a Full Frame or Micro Four Thirds system with interchangeable lenses.

Old July 31st, 2011, 12:09 PM   #1
Major Player

Recommend me a zoom lens.

I'd like a fixed aperture zoom lens. What do you guys suggest as the most useable focal range. Autofocus and IS preferably. This would be used for live events like weddings and concerts. Price isn't really a factor.
Patrick Janka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2011, 06:19 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Recommend me a zoom lens.

Patrick there are several, but one cannot cover all of the ranges you will need..

They each cost $2500 or so, and are of different angles. We JUST talked about them, and I can't find the thread, you must have missed it.

There is this one, which is the first one you would likely want, I would think:

I think this is the second one you would want. When the first one is too short, then you would switch to this one:

Old July 31st, 2011, 06:21 PM   #3
Inner Circle

There are less expensive similar zooms, like the Sigma 18-50mm F/2.8 and Tamron 28-70mm F/2.8, both of which I have but they are not nearly as good as the ones above.

If you had those two, I would think you would be well set!
Old July 31st, 2011, 06:35 PM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Harper View Post
Patrick there are several, but one cannot cover all of the ranges you will need..

They each cost $2500 or so, and are of different angles. We JUST talked about them, and I can't find the thread, you must have missed it.

There is this one, which is the first one you would likely want, I would think: Amazon.com: Olympus 35-100mm f/2.0 Zuiko Lens for E Series DSLR Cameras: Camera & Photo

I might be mistaken, but I think this is the second one you would want. When the first one is too short, then you would switch to this one: Amazon.com: Olympus 35-100mm f/2.0 Zuiko Lens for E Series DSLR Cameras: Camera & Photo
Jeff, I'm pretty sure you didn't mean to post that link twice. What was the second one supposed to be? When I originally said price wasn't a factor I didn't realize the lens would cost $2500 lol. This is the one serious benefit of going with a Canon system...the availability of good affordable lenses.
Old July 31st, 2011, 07:02 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Patrick I corrected the links, both of them.

Fast zooms are expensive, and Canon's are no different. I have the Sigma above, cost $400. The Canon equivilent costs $1500. Canon lenses, the fast ones, are usually 3x as expensive as third party lenses. Canon lenses are definitely not more affordable as a general rule. They have a wide range of lenses, but the good ones are quite expensive. Look at the Canon 85mm F/1.2L, about $2K. The Rokinon 85mm F/1.4 equivalent is $300.

Any F/2.0 zoom is going to be very expensive. As you have seen, you don't want to say price is no factor when it comes to lenses.

You asked your question, I know, hoping for a simple answer for a one lens solution, but you see it is more complicated than that, because a fast zoom as you find on a video camera just doesn't exist, or if it does it would cost many thousands of dollars. The 20x zoom like on the FX1000? I can't even imagine what that would cost in a DSLR lens, probably $5 or 10K.

Zooms lenses such as mine, the 18-50mm F/2.8 is nice lens, but too slow for a lot of folks. But the next step up is f/2.0, and your price is 5x as much.

Lens shopping on a budget is not fun for these cameras, especially when needing low light capability.

You might want to determine what f-stop and specific purpose you need most, and then you can choose most wisely for your needs.

Go here to the last two pages of the disccussion where we talked about this exact same thing:

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasoni...ngs-gh1-3.html
Old July 31st, 2011, 07:09 PM   #6
Major Player

Thanks for the info, Jeff.
Old July 31st, 2011, 07:16 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Patrick you're welcome, and I'm sorry it is not easier than it is. I am shopping for lenses right now, and it's a constant thing, I hate it.

The main thing is you want no slower than f/2.8. Any faster and you'll be spending the big bucks.
Old August 1st, 2011, 02:04 AM   #8
Inner Circle

Quote:
Zooms lenses such as mine, the 18-50mm F/2.8 is nice lens, but too slow for a lot of folks. But the next step up is f/2.0, and your price is 5x as much.
The Olympus 14-35mm & 35-100mm are the only F/2 zoom lenses on the market for any camera (ignoring $20K lenses for broadcast cameras). Canon, Nikon, Sigma, Tamron, Tokina, Sony none of them makes a zoom lens faster than F/2.8.
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2011, 09:53 PM   #9
Inner Circle

Corey, below is a lens for sale that is pretty nice, you couldn't do any better at all for the money. I almost jumped on it myself, but didn't.

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/private-...ml#post1671877
Old August 4th, 2011, 12:11 AM   #10
Inner Circle

Post above should have been directed at Patrick, not Corey.
Old August 5th, 2011, 07:09 AM   #11
Major Player

Quote:
Post above should have been directed at Patrick, not Corey.
Haha, no problem Jeff. I'm tempted to give this lens a shot! But I have some big expenses coming up, and have no business buying it right now :)
Corey Graham is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series