Fisheye, when to use? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series

Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
4K and AVCHD on a Full Frame or Micro Four Thirds system with interchangeable lenses.

Old August 8th, 2011, 04:13 PM   #1
Inner Circle

Fisheye, when to use?

I bought an 7mm fisheye, works fine I suppose, haven't used it yet.

When, for wedding work might it be used? It is way too slow for inside, it has to be closed down to about F/6 to get any sharpness, so I'm left wondering what to do with the damned thing.

I'm thinking for some special uses like closeups of the couple kissing in the park, but I'm just at a loss otherwise.
Old August 8th, 2011, 05:18 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Fisheye, when to use?

Careful with that baby you could get into big trouble, eg: stay clear of the brides mother.

Cheers.
Old August 8th, 2011, 05:18 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Yeah Jeff, that's a real speciality lens. I know 1 photog that uses his fisheye for doing a group shot especially if it's a large bridal party. He does it in the church and has th B&G sit in the first pew, then scatters the bridal party behind them in the other pews. He usually doesn't go more than about 4 pews in depth and then shoots overhead. He;ll either stand on a chair or a short ladder. It's actually a pretty neat shot but it does take a bit of time to set it up right.
I think the couple in the park is a great idea maybe a few offshoots of that but otherwise I can't think of anything else you could use it for.
Old August 8th, 2011, 07:13 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Thanks Don, yes, pretty limited uses for it. I bought it on a whim, and felt initially I threw my money away...but properly used in a few select situations I might be able to get some use out of it.

I imagine pans of the outside of the church would be cool, and those few shots in the park, etc would be about it. It would be awesome in a sanctuary, but for video at F/6 or so the place would have to be lit up for sure.
Old August 8th, 2011, 07:37 PM   #5
Major Player

If it is a whole lens and not just a screw on adapter, this will straighten stills and turn it into a 6mm wide monster.

Image Trends - Fisheye-Hemi Plug-In - Corrects Fisheye Lens Distortion and retains Image Content Details
Chip Thome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2011, 08:13 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Chip, pretty cool plug in. I don't use Photoshop normally, (though I have it of course) but this would be a good reason to use it more. Nice link, thanks again. For some select photos this would be awesome.

Yes, it is a lens I've got, not a WA adapter.
Old August 8th, 2011, 08:14 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Allen, right you are. For that matter, there are a lot of shots I would do best to avoid with this lens!
Old August 8th, 2011, 08:17 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Harper View Post
Allen, right you are. For that matter, there are a lot of shots I would do best to avoid with this lens!
Hah, I think there are shots you (and me and anyone) best avoid with any lens!
O|O
\--/

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series