DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-lumix-s-g-gf-gh-gx-series/)
-   -   Panasonic SD700 Library File Missing Video (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-lumix-s-g-gf-gh-gx-series/499788-panasonic-sd700-library-file-missing-video.html)

Andy Goodyear August 20th, 2011 08:23 AM

Panasonic SD700 Library File Missing Video

Hi Everyone

I have borrowed a Panasonic SD700 for the weekend and just spent a whole day recording footage. There was a data error displayed on the screen right at the end of the day, and when I use the playback mode on the camera, the library is missing thumbnails of quite a large number of clips.

The footage is still intact on the card itself via the MTS files, and luckily its all there (have backed it all up) but this causes issues when importing to iMovie.

If possible I would like to repair the library file so I can import directly to iMovie instead of trying to convert the MTS and losing quality.

Any ideas?

Andy Wilkinson August 20th, 2011 03:13 PM

Re: Panasonic SD700 Library File Missing Video

OK, I stress I've never tried this.... and I've just arrived back in the UK after nearly a month with my TM900 filming in Mauritius (I'll post about that elsewhere) so my brain is still on autopilot/all fuzzy but I just read your post I was wondering if this will work.....

Let's assume 10 thumbnails are missing in say 100 clips so you have 001 to 090 all working fine but lack the thumbnails for 091 to 100.

With the SD card in a card reader attached to your PC (or with the SD700 attached via USB) maybe try copying (any) 10 existing thumbnails to a folder on your PC somewhere. Let's assume you copy 001 to 010.

Then in the folder on the PC rename (i.e. renumber) those 10 thumbnails to match the same numbers of your missing clips, i.e. 001 becomes 091, 002 becomes 092 and so on.

Then copy and paste those 10 "new" thumbnails back onto the SD card in the correct place along with the existing original thumbnails.

Obviously, the recreated thumbnails will not relate to the clips that were missing them visually but it might allow ingestion into your NLE as all that will care about is the matching of a movie clip to a thumbnail of the same number. If it allows ingestion that is all that really matters!!!!

Like I said I've no idea if it will work (and I am assuming you don't have other files missing or corrupted somewhere).

Now, what I'm wondering is just how these files went missing? Dodgy or slow card?, incorrect ejection from camera whilst the card still being accessed etc?

Hope this works - let us know! Good luck!

Note to Mods - this thread is in the wrong section.

Andy Goodyear August 20th, 2011 08:24 PM

Re: Panasonic SD700 Library File Missing Video

Thanks for your help - I will give it a try - I've backed up the whole card anyway. I'm not sure why this happened - was a brand new 32GB card and I didn't remove it while it was being accessed.

On a side note, which section should this thread be in? I mean, this is Panasonic AVCHD cam systems....

Andy Wilkinson August 21st, 2011 12:35 AM

Panasonic SD700 - Correct Forum Area

No worries - your're not the first person to accidentally post in the wrong Forum area - it's a common mistake that keeps the Mods busy! They like things to be in the correct areas so that DVinfo remains a valuable source for finding technical info easily - and we all appreciate that!

No doubt it'll get moved to the forum area where most things TM/SD/HS700 and 900 get discussed when they have time - see below - lots of useful info for you if and when you need it.

Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders Forum at DVinfo.net