GH2 ERROR - This battery cannot be used at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series

Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
4K and AVCHD on a Full Frame or Micro Four Thirds system with interchangeable lenses.

Old August 27th, 2011, 05:40 PM   #1
Regular Crew

GH2 ERROR - This battery cannot be used

I'm suddenly getting the message "This battery cannot be used" when I power up. I'm using the proper Panasonic battery. I've tried both the one it came with and two other batteries I have access to at work. I've cleaned the contacts on the batteries and the camera contacts to the best of my abilities.

As it is I can't access anything before the camera powers off automatically. I've done some searching over the last few days on this forum and elsewhere on the web. It's seems this issue has come up occasionally for others but no one has a good fix for it other than sending in to the factory service center.

Anyone have a suggestion/fix for this issue?

Thanks.
Chad Haufschild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2011, 08:45 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: GH2 ERROR - This battery cannot be used

This is a long shot not knowing what the issue is but I have solved similar problems with other cameras and electronic devices by treating all contacts with Stabilant 22. You can buy this at some electronic supply houses, not Radio Shack but commercial suppliers. Or you can contact them directly from their website. It is a good product to have on hand and will prevent and or cure many problems related to dodgy connections.

Larry
Larry Kelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2011, 11:16 AM   #3
Major Player

Can a factory reset be done on these cameras?? Do you have an AC adapter?
Old August 28th, 2011, 12:49 PM   #4
Inner Circle

I have a GH2 that got weird on me and I researched how to do a factory reset, and from what I remember finding it is a deep dark secret, and I never came up with the method needed to do it. It is done, I believe, by pushing buttons in some particular order, and holding one down while you push another, some such thing.

If anyone has found out how, please do tell us. I ended up sending mine to the factory anyway.
Old August 28th, 2011, 06:34 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Kelly View Post
This is a long shot not knowing what the issue is but I have solved similar problems with other cameras and electronic devices by treating all contacts with Stabilant 22. Larry
Nice suggestion, Larry. Even if it doesn't do the job, it sounds like a must have product for guys like me how do some of there own electronics repair and PC building. Cool stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Akin View Post
Can a factory reset be done on these cameras?? Do you have an AC adapter?
I don't have an AC adapter. I've considered picking one up in the past but found I'm never really in a situation where using one during a shoot made much sense. I can see where you're going with this. Might be worth testing before spending the $275 with the factory service.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Harper View Post
... I researched how to do a factory reset, and from what I remember finding it is a deep dark secret, and I never came up with the method needed to do it. It is done, I believe, by pushing buttons in some particular order, and holding one down while you push another, some such thing.
If anyone has found out how, please do tell us...
That's what I'm thinking, too. I've considered cracking the case open to see if there's some kind of reset jumper or battery or something. I really don't want to have to do that with this rig. I may just bite the bullet and spend the money.

Jeff, did it cost you $275 for the fix. That's what the Panny rep told me it would cost.

Thanks.
Old August 29th, 2011, 08:27 AM   #6
Major Player

Chad, make sure you research this one more time before sending it in. I read somewhere, during all my research of the GH2, that some folks were getting "This battery cannot be used" when in a certain mode, sorry can't remember more than that, but you should be able to find out with a little goggling. I know it was in one of the other forums.
Old August 29th, 2011, 08:40 AM   #7
Inner Circle

Chad, GH2 comes with AC adapter when new. I don't use mine anyway.

Panasonic probably feels your error is the result of using an aftermarket battery or that camera got damp somehow. Dampness will cause this error according to reports on the web.

They charged me nothing for my repair, I needed a new circuit board in my camera, and it was covered under warranty. If your repair is needed due to defect of the camera, it should be done at no charge.
Old August 29th, 2011, 10:55 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Akin View Post
I read somewhere, during all my research of the GH2, that some folks were getting "This battery cannot be used" when in a certain mode, sorry can't remember more than that, but you should be able to find out with a little goggling. I know it was in one of the other forums.
Hi, Tim. Yeah, I saw that, too, but it was a menu accessible mode and I can't even get into the menu before it powers off. Besides, I hadn't changed any menu settings between working fine and the error message.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Harper View Post
Chad, GH2 comes with AC adapter when new. I don't use mine anyway.

Panasonic probably feels your error is the result of using an aftermarket battery or that camera got damp somehow. Dampness will cause this error according to reports on the web.

They charged me nothing for my repair, I needed a new circuit board in my camera, and it was covered under warranty. If your repair is needed due to defect of the camera, it should be done at no charge.
Jeff, that's interesting that you got an AC adapter in your kit. I didn't. The kit purchased for work didn't come with one either. They were body only kits so battery, charger, cables and manuals were the only thing in the box. Perhaps it's different with a lens kit.

I'm definitely using the proper batteries and other than a particularly humid few weeks in August, I can't think of when this thing got wet. It's out of warranty unfortunately.

Thanks for the help, guys. Keep those ideas coming.
Old August 29th, 2011, 01:55 PM   #9
Major Player

Hey Jeff, mine didn't come with the AC adapter. Cost about 50 bucks for the piece that goes in the battery compartment and the AC cord, two different parts.
Old August 29th, 2011, 02:26 PM   #10
Inner Circle

Mine didn't either, I am sadly mistaken. The three GH1s that I bought came with the ac adapters, not the GH2, sorry, I was confused.

Tim, I bought my adapter for $14 or something, it was very inexpensive at Adorama (and it was OEM). I imagine you got yours from Ebay? The adapters may cost a bit more now, but I'm glad I didn't pay too much, I never have used it.

Last edited by Jeff Harper; August 29th, 2011 at 10:55 PM.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2014, 04:14 PM   #11
Inner Circle

Anybody ever solved this error mystery?

My wife has a DMC-ZS6, excellent point and shoot camera and it now comes up with the same error: "This battery cannot be used". Purchased an original used battery, same error. Purchased a new after market battery, same error. Called Pana, all they could tell me is to send it in to McAllen TX to their factory service.

As I understand only after some software upgrade the camera should no longer recognize after market batteries, I have never upgraded the software.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series