GH1 Companion Camera at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
4K and AVCHD on a Full Frame or Micro Four Thirds system with interchangeable lenses.

Old September 11th, 2011, 05:26 AM   #1
Regular Crew

GH1 Companion Camera

I am currently shooting with the GH1 and need to make a camcorder purchase. Has anyone tried to match footage with the GH1 and the HMC150 or HVX20? Thoughts on either of these 2 cams as a companion to the GH1?
Old September 11th, 2011, 06:17 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: GH1 Companion Camera

Canon XA-10 or XF100 or XF300 (XA-10 is backordered and listed at $1999) would be the best choices for my money, to match with the GH1. The HMC150, which I owned, is not the best in low light. The Canon and it's bigger brothers are being used by a lot of shooters because of it's ability to match with DSLR footage.

HMC150 is popular, has loyal users, and some skilled folks use it to acquire great images, I personally hated the camera and sold it within several weeks of buying it. Except for missing having a "proper" videocamera, I still do not regret getting rid of it.

See review of Canon XA-10 by googling Phillip Bloom XA-10 for a comparison of the three Canons.
Old September 11th, 2011, 06:24 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Actually, your lens has as much or more to do with the look of your images as the camera, as your lens choice affects your end result greatly. Look at your lenses and the images you are already getting to help you make your decision.
Old September 11th, 2011, 11:18 AM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Grimes View Post
I am currently shooting with the GH1 and need to make a camcorder purchase. Has anyone tried to match footage with the GH1 and the HMC150 or HVX20? Thoughts on either of these 2 cams as a companion to the GH1?
Derek,

If you are budget-limited at around $3000, I recommend the

Even though the http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/696066-REG/Panasonic_AG_HVX200APS_AG_HVX200A_1_3_3CCD_P2.html is about the same price, add in a couple of $349 http://www.adorama.com/PCAJP2E016XG.html and you 'll be close to $4K and might as well get an AF100.

If it fits your budget, I recommend the AF100 -- it shares lenses and the m4/3 sensor with the GH1 and should give you the closest match -- and right now, Adorama is throwing in a free 14-140mm lens with it.

Cheers,

Bill
Hybrid Camera Revolution
Bill Bruner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2011, 11:50 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Bill, the Canons I mention above are as good if not better in low light, are newer technology, and the the AF100 shoots in 60p at 50mbps, or something insane like that. Not sure I would want years-old technology of an HMC-150 when I can get better and more feature rich for a similar price.

In my opinion the AF-100 is an awkward beast not unlike the GH2, just bigger with more controls. Still no motorized zoom and it lacks the great autofocus that can be had with a traditional style camcorder. But for some I suppose it works. I find it most telling that the AF0-100 was showing up used in the classifieds almost a month after they were released. And if Panasonic is giving a free $800 lens with it now, that tells me even more. Not that it's a bad cam, bit it is certainly not living up to the expecations many had for it. Any $4K plus cam should have more native lens choices then the AF-100 has, IMO.
Old September 11th, 2011, 12:19 PM   #6
Major Player

It has its limits, but it's about to get

and

native power zooms.

And that said, there are more native lenses for it than for the $5000 FS100 ;-)

I'll be in the market for a camcorder early next year and I'm looking seriously at the VG20 for $2K -- but if I can find an AF100 for $3K, I will pick it up.

The flexibility and growth potential inherent in a large sensor interchangeable lens camcorder are a must for me - even if they're 'fiddly' to shoot with.

Cheers,

Bill

P.S. I agree with you on the superiority of the new Canon XA & XF cameras to the old technology Panasonics. If I was looking for a fixed lens camcorder, I would get the XA10.

Last edited by Bill Bruner; September 12th, 2011 at 04:05 AM.
Bill Bruner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2011, 02:43 PM   #7
Major Player

I use 2 GH1's with 2 HMC40's, and love the results I get, with some tweaking/denoising in post.
Corey Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2011, 03:16 PM   #8
Inner Circle

I want an XF100 or XA-10 pretty badly, and didn't become familiar with them until it became too late to get one for this wedding season, with the back order thing.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series