DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-lumix-s-g-gf-gh-gx-series/)
-   -   Lens Hood and ND Filter Question (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-lumix-s-g-gf-gh-gx-series/500606-lens-hood-nd-filter-question.html)

Tim Akin September 12th, 2011 12:45 PM

Lens Hood and ND Filter Question

I've been looking at lens hoods for the 20mm pancake and game across one made by Hama that's rubber and it has threads that accepts filters. It only comes 52mm and larger so a stepup ring would be needed.

I'm wondering if this is going to put, say an "ND filter" to far away from the lens... or does that even matter?

Here's the link for the hood. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/90013-REG/Hama_HA_929_52_52mm_Screw_In_Rubber_Zoom.html

Kevin McRoberts September 12th, 2011 01:27 PM

Re: Lens Hood and ND Filter Question

So long as the glass is good and clean, distance from the lens shouldn't matter.

Tim Akin September 12th, 2011 02:54 PM

Ok Kevin thanks. It should be easier and a little faster to screw a lens hood with nd filter attached when going outdoors.

Gabe Strong September 12th, 2011 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim Akin (Post 1681589)
I've been looking at lens hoods for the 20mm pancake and game across one made by Hama that's rubber and it has threads that accepts filters. It only comes 52mm and larger so a stepup ring would be needed.

I'm wondering if this is going to put, say an "ND filter" to far away from the lens... or does that even matter?

Here's the link for the hood. Hama 52mm Screw-In Rubber Zoom Lens Hood for 24mm to HA-929.52

Actually it CAN matter! Trust me on this, I've found out the hard way.
What can happen, is that depending on the size of the ND filter,
the ND filter can get put out 'to far' in front of the wide angle lens...
you have a step up ring AND a sunshade before you get to the ND filter.
This can cause vignetting. Especailly on a wide angle lens it can
happen. Not saying it WILL happen, but it can. It happened to me when
I did exactly what you are talking about with my FS 100. I bought a
77mm Heliopan variable ND. Then bought a 67 to 77 thin step up ring.
Then a rubber sunshade just like you are talking about. Step up ring
on 67mm 18-200 lens. Sunshade on step up ring. ND filter on sunshade.
At 18mm there was slight vignetting. If I took off the sunshade and just
put the ND filter right on the step up ring it worked fine.

Kevin McRoberts September 12th, 2011 06:03 PM

Well, yes, in that sort of instance it definitely can matter.

With a 46-52 step, ND, then filter on the 20, I don't think you'll have any problems. Heck, I use stepped down 43mm filters with it sometimes (still got a bunch from my HV30).

Chip Thome September 12th, 2011 07:05 PM

I don't remember where....... but someone had a thread on his 20mm not working and it turned out to be the filter prohibiting the focus movement. I want to say the front element turns and he was binding the mechanism with his filter. Check it out ahead of time, I might be all wet.... but better safe than sorry.

Tim Akin September 12th, 2011 07:38 PM

I was lookin at that last night, the 20mm moves in and out when focusing. It all depends on the stepup ring, how it's made I guess. I ordered a different rubber lens hood, Hoya HMC nd filter, 46 to 52 stepup ring, lens cap and filter bag from cameragear for 37 bucks shipped. I'm gonna see how that works out before getting the Hama and 57mm nd filter.

With that setup it will be stepup ring - nd filter - hood. It will just be more of a pain when going in and outdoors during a wedding day.

Jeff Harper September 12th, 2011 08:09 PM

First, from what one guy said on the 20mm and lens hood, is that with the 20mm a lens hood is really not needed because of the nature of it's pancake style.

Second, the main issue with it, I seem to recall, is that a lens hood on this lens that is large enough to work will block the infrared sensor on the camera, and will prohibit proper functioning of the camera, and therefore the lens.

Without a lens hood it does look ridiculously small for pro applications, I admit.

Tim Akin September 12th, 2011 09:30 PM

Does the infrared sensor work for video? I have it turned off.

Your right Jeff, I want a lens hood for the pancake for looks more than function.

James Campbell September 13th, 2011 04:09 AM

I needed a lens hood for the GH2. I have the GH2 on rods with a Redrock mattebox, etc., and the pancake lens is so short that I couldn't fit the mattebox adapter onto the end of the lens. I use the mattebox due to the need for an ND filter while shooting an outdoor scene for a short film recently. Also, I've had this "argument" with others on various forums: there's nothing wrong with pimping out a camera that doesn't look professional. If you look at every image and video with the larger cameras -- AF10, Sony F3, etc. -- they all have matteboxes, follow focus. It just looks like you know what you're doing... human nature, I guess.

I ended up purchasing the short lens hood via ebay below to attach the mattebox to the GH2:

Lens Cap+Hood+UV Filter For 46mm Panasonic DMC GF1 20mm | eBay