GH2....A little more pro looking at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series

Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
4K and AVCHD on a Full Frame or Micro Four Thirds system with interchangeable lenses.

Old September 16th, 2011, 11:22 AM   #1
Major Player

GH2....A little more pro looking

When I got my hands on the GH2 I couldn't believe how small it was and the 20mm pancake lens didn't add any size to it. So I went in search for a lens hood and this is what my outdoor setup looks like.

I will be buying another hood (since there so inexpensive) to use indoors and I will leave the nd filter on one....I figure it's alot easier and quicker to swap the hoods out with filter already attached.

Now if I can just learn to use this cam like a pro.
Attached Thumbnails
GH2....A little more pro looking-000_0284.jpg   GH2....A little more pro looking-000_0285.jpg  

Old September 16th, 2011, 01:33 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: GH2....A little more pro looking

Very cool Tim, I love it. It looks great. What is that on top, a foam mic cover mounted on the flash pop up? I can't make it out.
Old September 16th, 2011, 01:40 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Can you pm me where you got that. I could use one that size.

Now if you want to truly try to impress the un-knowing client....spring this on them!!

nevermind on the pm....just saw the link in your other post....
Attached Thumbnails
GH2....A little more pro looking-gh2.jpg  
Mark Slade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2011, 01:45 PM   #4
Inner Circle

You guys are insane! Well, as a I always say, "If you can't dazzle 'em with brilliance, baffle 'em with bullshit!" Seriously, I love Tim's get up, but Mark, your camera scares me! What kind of lens do you have on there?
Old September 16th, 2011, 02:08 PM   #5
Regular Crew

it's a Sigma 28-70 that I've been trying out. You should see it with the follow focus and 5 inch monitor on top! I do a lot of stuff outdoors and when I switched to the GH2's it became a nightmare with different size lens and needing ND filters and the front of the lens turning with focusing and step up/down rings and changing all that stuff out every time I needed to change a lens that it made sense to go this route. What really drove me to it was one day I had a lot of flare with the sun hitting the lens and couldn't move the setup. So I taped a piece of cardboard to the top of the lens. Looked like a fool, and didn't notice that the cardboard had sagged after a few minutes and was now in the top of my shot(noticed it when I got home though!!). I DO NOT use it for weddings.
Baffle them is right. Even though my ultimate reason was to make things better....I've had more than one client come on set and say "holy sh!#$...look at that" So it does have it's wow factor.

Mark
Old September 16th, 2011, 02:11 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Yeah, I'm sure it impresses folks!
Old September 16th, 2011, 03:13 PM   #7
Major Player

Yeah Jeff that's the foam mic cover that came with one of the Yamaha recorders.

Mark that is awesome!! I could see myself setting that up at weddings. LOL One of my goals has been to try and downsize my equipment inventory......don't think that would help much.haha
Old September 16th, 2011, 05:00 PM   #8
Inner Circle

With my lenses and no lens hoods most the time I don't impress anyone, but I can get some awesome shots. The cameras are so inconspicuous, it is cool. On the other hand if I think about it while I'm filming I feel like a dork walking around with these stupid looking toys.
Old September 22nd, 2011, 02:36 AM   #9
Inner Circle

Mark,
I have a similar set up. I think that's the Shrig Jig and rail system right? I think they're great and transform the GH2 in to some way better looking and far more functional. It's a great deal guys for $149. American Made!
Your hand held shots will no longer have micro jitters, on sticks you can securely mount any accessory you want and perhaps best of all, you can anchor your HDMI cable which is one of the weak spots of the GH2 in that the HDMI port is flimsy and shoddy as heck, I was always losing my signal, but not now, it's rock solid thanks to the cage. When people first started using cages I thought it was gimmick and waste of money, needless to say, I don't feel that way now.

For filters I just use the cheap Cokin faux matte box. Works.
Brian Luce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2011, 03:49 PM   #10
Inner Circle

Try some of the Cages, they'll make you look more pro.
Brian Luce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2011, 01:28 AM   #11
Regular Crew

Yep....it's the Shrigg. I'm not too happy with the design of the rails system. It doesn't allow for mounting on a tripod in a way that you can balance the whole thing. But I have used it all handheld and it's amazing how much more steady it is with the added weight.
Yeah I didn't really get the idea of a cage until trying to mount a monitor and stuff on it.
For $99 it can't be beat. It may not be as sexy as the rewo (or whatever it is) but why spend $350+ for something that works just as well for $99!!!

Mark
Old September 30th, 2011, 02:34 PM   #12
Inner Circle

Is that a Shrigg as is or adapted in some way? The Shriggs are advertised for upside-down mounting of a camera.
Old October 1st, 2011, 04:44 AM   #13
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Hohauser View Post
Is that a Shrigg as is or adapted in some way? The Shriggs are advertised for upside-down mounting of a camera.
William, it takes a little fiddling, but it's not too bad to adapt. You'll never get tech support from the seller though, that guy has his hands full.

Best thing for me about the shrigg is you can easily lock down your hdmi which tends to wobble and lose its signal. A chronic issue for most gh2'ers.
Brian Luce is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series