Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 APO at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series

Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
4K and AVCHD on a Full Frame or Micro Four Thirds system with interchangeable lenses.

Old September 22nd, 2011, 06:26 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 APO

Hey guys,

I'm looking to pick up this lens for my GH2:

Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 APO EX DG HSM OS FLD Large Aperture Telephoto Zoom Lens for Nikon Digital DSLR Camera

anyone have any experience with this combo?

Secondly, what adapter do I need to get. Will this one work?

Any help is much appreciated, this is the first time that I am straying away from a Panasonic or Olympus lens.
Chris Bryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2011, 07:40 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 APO

I would think you might avoid Nikon or Canon for this type of lens. You might instead want to look at the lens chart Compatibilities of DMC-GH2 | Compatibility | Digital Camera | Product Support | Support | Panasonic Global and choose an Olympus mount, if you can find something there. I suspect you have already done that though.

There is no adapter on the market that will yet offer electronic control of your Nikon lens, but again, you may already know that.

If that does not bother you, then you need to find an adapter that will give you control of your aperture, which I know nothing about. These may be out there, I don't know. There are some for Canon, I've read, but they are a rather inelegant solution, again, according only to what I've read on the topic.

Olympus are a much better choice for GH2, IMO. makes fairly compatible lenses for the GH2, I would look at those on the Olympus website, they have some nice offerings, though they are pricey. You will have much better compatibility, and the Olympus lenses seem to be, generally very high quality. I have two Sigma (olympus mounts and they are OK, but not my favorites by any stretch.

The Sigma lenses listed in the chart above, by the way are Olympus mounts, if you didn't know that. I had a EF lens for my GH2 and was quite unhappy with using it with the GH2. I sold the lens, it was a waste of time for me.
Old September 23rd, 2011, 04:16 PM   #3
Major Player

Re: Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 APO

Yes the adapter you need are for the G lenses for Nikon. That gives you ability to adjust aperture, but without a manual aperture ring, you are adjusting "by eyeball". As Jeff pointed out, there is no adapter that will let you auto anything from most 3rd party lenses to a GH2. So, with that eing said, if this length and speed works for you, I would look for an older version with a manual aperture and manual focus ring and then have at 'er !!! That adapter though would be for the "non G" lenses.
Chip Thome is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series