DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-lumix-s-g-gf-gh-gx-series/)
-   -   Left angle mini HDMI for the GH2? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-lumix-s-g-gf-gh-gx-series/501166-left-angle-mini-hdmi-gh2.html)

William Hohauser September 29th, 2011 08:16 PM

Left angle mini HDMI for the GH2?

I'm having a lot of problems with the mini HDMI port on the GH2 especially now that I now have a great 7" LCD monitor that fits on the top of the camera. The connection is so tricky that I can't get a consistent signal. The best solution I can figure is an angle mini HDMI connector that bends downwards to the left. The connector is so sensitive it can't have any torque on it. Has anyone found a mini HDMI connector that swivels?

Jeff Harper September 29th, 2011 09:01 PM

Re: Left angle mini HDMI for the GH2?

Maybe these guys have one? HDMI right angle adapter

William Hohauser September 30th, 2011 10:41 AM

Unfortunately I have something similar. The problem is the angle, the way the connector is placed sideways by Panasonic, the weight of the wire pulls itself out enough to disrupt the signal. If the connector was designed to be horizontal then an adaptor like that would probably work.

Also the camera is so small that the HDMI wire either sticks into the shooter's face (if they need to use the viewfinder) or can potentially go in front of the lens. That's why a left or right angle connector would work great especially if it was paired up with a short 1 foot HDMI wire. Hey, you smart accessory people, I know you're out there!

Jeff Harper September 30th, 2011 10:47 AM

William, did you check ebay yet?

William Hohauser September 30th, 2011 10:58 AM

Yup, it seems that left or right mini HDMI adaptors have not been made yet. Backwards or forwards 90 degrees, yes.

Jeff Harper September 30th, 2011 12:45 PM

That stinks.

Brian Luce October 1st, 2011 04:49 AM

There's a high end cage made by TrustMT that has a brilliant HDMI clamp. Bullet proof.
The $99 Shrigg can easily be adapted to solve this issue as well.
You can also order just the TrustMT clamp for $75.

I've been shooting with a 10" monitor on my Shrigg with a sunshade and it's fantastic! Liberating!

Joe Ogiba October 2nd, 2011 05:28 PM

I wonder if a Hdmi To Mini Hdmi Cable Adapter along with a HDMI Male to Female Swivel Adapter would work.

Greg Fiske October 3rd, 2011 10:08 AM

Zacuto has a new bracket that grips the mini hdmi in place. This is another wire I've used.
MG1 Concepts LP-E6 Battery Plate

Pincher

Brian Luce October 4th, 2011 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe Ogiba (Post 1686009)
I wonder if a Hdmi To Mini Hdmi Cable Adapter along with a HDMI Male to Female Swivel Adapter would work.
Amazon.com: HDmi Cable Adapter Hdmi To Mini Hdmi Cable Adapter for m: Electronics

Amazon.com: AmazonBasics HDMI Male to Female Swivel Adapter: Electronics

Joe, I've tried both of these, in combination and alone. Epic fail.
Personally I think a cage w/clamp is the only viable way to use an external monitor with GH2. I've tried.

William Hohauser October 5th, 2011 12:59 PM

The Shrigg set-up sounds promising. Do you have a photo of your rig to share?

William Hohauser October 7th, 2011 08:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greg Fiske (Post 1686125)
Zacuto has a new bracket that grips the mini hdmi in place. This is another wire I've used.
MG1 Concepts LP-E6 Battery Plate

Pincher

I have ordered the MG1 wire, thanks for the lead.

William Hohauser October 12th, 2011 03:56 PM

That wire arrived and works great. Very well made and doesn't wiggle around in the miniHDMI connector. Used the LCD monitor today for an artwork still photography session, it really helped. Thanks for the suggestion.

I will try it for a video shoot soon and see if active camera work jolts the wire too much.

William Hohauser October 20th, 2011 12:40 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Here are some quickly taken cell-phone photos of my GH2 tripod set-up.

A Lilliput 5" LCD connected with the MG1 HDMI wire.
A Sennheiser microphone with the optional windscreen.
A ePhoto Vbracket Hot Shoe extender.

So far works great. It just about triples the weight of the camera so hand-held has to be done with a brace. I haven't had the chance to try it hand-held yet.