ETC and GH2 hack..... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
4K and AVCHD on a Full Frame or Micro Four Thirds system with interchangeable lenses.

Old October 17th, 2011, 08:53 PM   #1
Regular Crew

ETC and GH2 hack.....

I know I read somewhere about the hack fixing ETC to work with a monitor....but I'll be darned if I can find it. I've searched everywhere including Vitaly's site. Anyone remember reading it and where??

Thanks
Mark
Mark Slade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2011, 06:41 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: ETC and GH2 hack.....

I think that you have misremembered. The only useful hack for the GH2 that I have seen is to remove the 30 minute recording limit that we have in Europe. The other tweaking about with mega high bit rates gives marginal if any improvement from what I have seen. Don't forget that this hack is no more than the ability to access to some internal settings on the camera. It is not a reverse-engineered total re-write of the camera firmware like the Magic Lantern hack for Canon DSLRs. There are not going to be any new features added unless Panasonic put them there originally.
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2011, 12:33 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks Nigel....I actually finally found the info I was looking for last night. They did in fact "fix" the ETC to work with an external monitor....but it frequently locks up the camera......but it is apparently still being worked on.

Mark
Mark Slade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2011, 04:59 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel Barker View Post
I think that you have misremembered. The only useful hack for the GH2 that I have seen is to remove the 30 minute recording limit that we have in Europe. The other tweaking about with mega high bit rates gives marginal if any improvement from what I have seen. Don't forget that this hack is no more than the ability to access to some internal settings on the camera. It is not a reverse-engineered total re-write of the camera firmware like the Magic Lantern hack for Canon DSLRs. There are not going to be any new features added unless Panasonic put them there originally.
I think you need to find out a little bit more about the hack, they're getting remarkable results with the 176 intra frame hack. It's not "marginal" improvement. It's dramatic change. Gamechanger.
Brian Luce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2011, 01:47 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Luce View Post
I think you need to find out a little bit more about the hack, they're getting remarkable results with the 176 intra frame hack. It's not "marginal" improvement. It's dramatic change. Gamechanger.
Novelty features like this may be useful for pixel peepers & wannabee film makers but are sadly not so useful for those of us working professionals who shoot weddings, events & such like. It would fill up cards awfully quickly at around 1GB/minute. File size is limited to 4GB too so no take can be longer than 4 minutes. Then we would have to transcode to even be able to edit the files. Always assuming that the hack is 100% stable & never freezes.

As I said apart from lifting the 30 minute record limit for PAL-users the hack gives nothing really useful for most users. Really useful features include as a top priority 25fps for us in PAL-land. Other really useful features would be1080 50/60fps or ETC with 720 50/60fps or HDMI out with ETC.
Old October 23rd, 2011, 05:07 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Most people consider thinks like better image quality. better shadow detail, better motion signature, less banding, more robust file for color grading and other features as huge improvements. The hack has turbocharged the gh2. Perhaps others don't care about the image quality, I happen to care a lot about it.
Brian Luce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2011, 12:10 PM   #7
Major Player

I've been quite pleased kicking the 720p and 1080i modes to 35mbps. The files still span and there's a noticeable compression artifact reduction.

Might not be right for everybody, but it works for me.
Old October 23rd, 2011, 01:28 PM   #8
Inner Circle

I agree Nigel, nice idea, great for higher end shooters, artisitics, and hobbyists, but for wedding shooter like me, the higher bit rate is not practical, takes up too much space.
Old October 24th, 2011, 02:00 AM   #9
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Luce View Post
Most people consider thinks like better image quality. better shadow detail, better motion signature, less banding, more robust file for color grading and other features as huge improvements. The hack has turbocharged the gh2. Perhaps others don't care about the image quality, I happen to care a lot about it.
I am in the fortunate position that the GH2 isn't the only camera that I own & in any case the GH2 image quality is pretty good already without hacking & perfectly acceptable for what I am using it for. If I need higher quality I will use a proper video cameras e.g. Canon XF305
Old May 21st, 2013, 01:07 PM   #10
Regular Crew

So - anyone know what hack will work with ETC AND allow HDMI monitoring?
Harry Pallenberg is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series