Zuiko 45mm lens sample at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series

Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
4K and AVCHD on a Full Frame or Micro Four Thirds system with interchangeable lenses.

Old October 19th, 2011, 10:30 AM   #1
Inner Circle

Zuiko 45mm lens sample

OK, it is with a mixture of happiness and embarrassment I post this sample. So many issues, so many mistakes I made on the shoot. One white balance situation had me flat out perplexed.

Toward the end of the video during the shots of the couple overlooking the river (45mm lens) the color values changed during the pans and varied depending on the angle I shot. It was SO frustrating, Things were cool one minute and warm the next. I found it very difficult to correct in post.

For example during the shot where I pan from overlook to couple's faces, colors were cool at beginning of the shot, and as I panned and the lens landed on the couple it warmed up unexpectedly. I had not expected to shoot the photo session at all, so these shots were freebies.

An excellent demonstration of the autofocus ability of the 45mm is at 2:47. I encourage those of you interested in the lens to look at it. I started out of focus, panned and then hit the shutter button for focus and BAM it was spot on! I understand this is not aesthetically the "nice" way of obtaining focus for creative purposes, but it is an outstanding example of how easy the lens is to use.

A couple of shots I ruined opportunities for a nice rack focus, but I'm new at this and my skill is only slowly improving. Knowing where to set the focus point is something I'm just getting a grip on. Next shoot will be better.

The opening shots were done with 12mm handheld, as should be obvious. 45mm shots begin at 2:07 for photoshoot. Shot of people at dinner are 45mm and 12mm mixed, and shots overlooking the river are again the 45mm.

Ceremony and first dance shot with XA10.

Old October 24th, 2011, 10:08 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: Zuiko 45mm lens sample

It's good to see some of your work Jeff. Thanks for sharing.

Congratulations on finding the lens that works well for you.
Old October 24th, 2011, 10:22 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Thanks Dan. 45mm is a great lens, I might compile a video of nothing but that lens, but I have so many videos to edit it's not funny.

Last edited by Jeff Harper; October 25th, 2011 at 06:31 AM.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2011, 03:17 PM   #4
Major Player

jeff-

thanks for sharing.

it is very good to see the mix of media-the gh2/dslr and the xa10/hd video.

i think the 45mm was a lovely portrait lens. color rendition was excellent.

did you ever figure out the color shifting problem you had?

again, thumbs up.

be well

rob
smalltalk productions
Rob Katz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2011, 05:09 PM   #5
Inner Circle

No, I never did figure it out. A more experienced photographer would know immediately what was happening, but I had no idea. I suspect it had to do with the angle of the camera lens relative to the sun. It is possible I was in auto white balance, but I don't know. I'm learning more and more auto can really cause issues in ways one might not expect.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series