DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-lumix-s-g-gf-gh-gx-series/)
-   -   GH2 Lens Adapters (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-lumix-s-g-gf-gh-gx-series/502154-gh2-lens-adapters.html)

Dennis Vogel October 30th, 2011 07:28 PM

GH2 Lens Adapters

I have an old Canon EF lens and a Vivitar Series 1 lens that I'd like to try on my GH2. I began looking at adapters today and found they range from $22 to $380 for the Canon. That's quite a range. I'd prefer to not spend $380 for an adapter if I can avoid it.

What adapters do you guys recommend? Any brands that are preferred? Any to be avoided?

D

Jeff Harper October 31st, 2011 12:14 AM

Re: GH2 Lens Adapters

The cheap ones, as far as I know are all about the same. People usually recommend whatever they have bought for themselves. To shop around, I suggest you first google EF to Micro four thirds adapters, and use the ratings buyers have given various models on Amazon. I forget what brand I have but it works fine. It might be fotodiox or rosen.

Kevin McRoberts October 31st, 2011 10:49 AM

I have Novoflex (expensive, Nikon, good), Fotodiox (cheap, Nikon/M42/FD/C/OM, all good), and Pixco (cheap, OM, sloppy).

Of the inexpensive adapters, I prefer the Fotodiox.

Eric Lagerlof November 1st, 2011 11:28 PM

Just keep in mind that what you don't get from many of the adapters is electronic control of newer lenses. The cheaper adapters do work with older manual lenses, like Canon fd lenses. Prepare yourself for an interesting but cool journey.

Jeff Harper November 1st, 2011 11:53 PM

I'd still like to know when the super expensive Birger Engineering adapter that has been forthcoming for months will finally show up. It is supposed to make Canon EF lenses work with the GH2 and AF100, I think. I've checked periodically, and it's still not available. It was, I thought coming out in Feb or March, still don't know why the delay.

Kevin McRoberts November 2nd, 2011 08:28 AM

IIRC, Red Rock Micro and MTF beat them to the punch

Nigel Barker November 2nd, 2011 08:33 AM

The Birger mount is supposed to not only enable control of aperture by the GH2/AF101 but also autofocus & image stabilisation if the Canon EF lens has the capability. There is supposed to be a wireless follow focus too.

Jeff Harper November 2nd, 2011 10:20 AM

Yes, Nigel, and as you may know supposedly they already make these items for Red. Funny but the product page at Birger's website is a dead link, and has been since January at least. You can't order anything from the website, that I can see.

Philip Hinkle November 2nd, 2011 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric Lagerlof (Post 1693221)
Just keep in mind that what you don't get from many of the adapters is electronic control of newer lenses. The cheaper adapters do work with older manual lenses, like Canon fd lenses. Prepare yourself for an interesting but cool journey.

What's the issue with the cheap adapters for FD Canon lenses. I have a T2i with cheap adapters for M42 and Nikon mount lenses and they work great. I know FD doesn't work well with FD mounts because of the infinity focus issue so I never got any. I have read that any lens can be adapted to the GH2 and was planning to grab a few FD lenses since they are easy to find for cheap. Are there some FD adapters that work better for the GH2 and FD mounts. I have 2 GH2s arriving today and am looking forward to putting them to work.

Dennis Vogel November 2nd, 2011 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric Lagerlof (Post 1693221)

Yeah, that's not a problem. 50-some years ago I used an old, purely manual Yashica 35mm film cam. Everything was manual: aperture, ISO, focus, shutter speed, DOF preview. If I can easily (adn inexpensively) reuse my old lenses I'll deal with the manual stuff.

I notice you mention Canon fd lenses. I have an EF lens. Do they work (manual, of course) with the "cheaper" adapters you refer to?

Thanks.

D

Jeff Harper November 2nd, 2011 01:32 PM

Well, infinity focus is a problem for some people, it was for me.

Generally the FD lenses work ok with the GH2s, but their effectiveness varies depending on your application. for wedding work I found them to be a complete pain.

White balancing can be tricky using the FD lenses, but only sometimes, it just depended. I am much happier using Olympic and Panasonic lenses, they just work. Between the 12mm F/2.0 and the 45mm F/1.8 alone I could, in theory shoot an entire wedding and the footage would be outstanding.

I love having instantaneous focus. I do not miss trying to make a 135mm lens work on the GH2, it was too much work. Gary Hanna is a superb shooter and he uses Rokinons and other 3rd party lenses to great effect, but he is a much better shooter than I am, and I run 4 cameras alone, don't have the time or patience to fiddle with FD lenses.

FD or Nikon lenses are the first thing everyone buys for the GH2, it seems. I had 4 or 5 of them and adpaters out the butt, and I've gotten rid of most all of them, never happier. They are fine, and you can do great things with them, but it depends on your style, your level of patience, and what you shoot.

Eric Lagerlof November 2nd, 2011 03:51 PM

I'm not sure why the (perhaps negative?) reaction to my post. The point I was trying to make is that if you have a newer, electronically controlled lens, most adapters will not pass through the electric signals to change arpeture, to stabilize images, etc. from the GH2 camera body. This may seem obvious to some but if you are new to digital photography or coming from video I think the heads up is worth noting.

Also, with the first fd lens I bought from ebay I couldn't control the arpeture, and I didn't know if it was a problem with the lens or the (new) adapter. Even after I took it to the local pro photography store the guy behind the counter couldn't tell me what the problem was. Turned out to be sticking shutter blades.

That said, I got a great 50mm f1.4 Canon fd lens for cheap and it works wonderfully well with my inexpensive adapter...I'm quite happy. I think manual lenses are a great alternative and I imagine most adapters work quite well.

And part of the 'journey' I refer to is the possible excitement of finding a great lens for your particular needs on craigslist or ebay or your grandmothers attic and adapters make that possible. But getting into this side of things means that you may run into unexpected difficulties as well...

Jeff Harper November 2nd, 2011 04:06 PM

Eric, if you're referring to my post, you may take it as negative, but I simply shared my experience. I don't care what you use or shoot with, and am happy you're having a good time.

I found the FD experience to be somewhat overrated, more of a phase that I'm over. Others Like Kevin, and many others, use the lenses and others like them to great effect, as I've pointed out.

I speak as an overworked wedding videographer who doesn't have the inclinations to play with them any more. I got some amazing shots with the FD 85mm F/1.2L for example, but it was not practical for wedding work, for me. That is a $1000 lens some people would kill to own, and a Canon EF version on a Canon camera would be complete joy to use. But on the GH2, not so much, at least not for me. When I sold it I was glad to be rid of it, but I'm not knocking the lens, it's one of the greatest ones to own, but I'm not a Canon camera guy any more.

I missed more moments while trying to get focus with the 50mm F/1.4 than I captured, and that is the issue with them for me.