DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-lumix-s-g-gf-gh-gx-series/)
-   -   Remaining record time indication all screwed up (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-lumix-s-g-gf-gh-gx-series/502318-remaining-record-time-indication-all-screwed-up.html)

Mark Slade November 3rd, 2011 09:48 PM

Remaining record time indication all screwed up

SO...I have several 16 G Transcend class 10 cards. When placed in the camera and formatted they have consistently shown 2 hours and 4 minutes available. This past weekend I noticed at about 1 hour into a recording that one of the cards showed 1 hour and 15 minutes remaining. As I watched it, it seems that the remaining time continued to increase past the normal 2h 4m. By the time it hit 2 hours recorded it showed 35 minutes remaining. Worried that something was amiss ( namely that it wasn't showing the correct remaining time), I took it out and put in another just after the 2 hour mark. Now the strange part. When I went to dump it to my laptop.....it only had about 14 G on it.....which would correlate to it having about 30 minuets of record time left....which is what the camera had indicated. SO it appears that the camera is showing a record time that is smaller than it really is.
Any idea why this is happening. It's occurring on multiple cards.
At the moment I'm testing on my other GH2. Right now it shows 15 minutes recorded and 2 hours and 2 minutes remaining......something is definitely wrong....

Mark

Thomas Smet November 3rd, 2011 10:05 PM

Re: Remaining record time indication all screwed up

Did you hack the camera?

Mark Slade November 3rd, 2011 10:40 PM

no hack.....

Gordon Hoffman November 4th, 2011 07:27 AM

Could it be that what you are shooting doesn't require the use of the maximum data rate.
Just a thought.

Gordon

Mark Slade November 4th, 2011 10:04 AM

Don't think so Gordon. Was using 2 cams....one just a little wider than the other (backup). The one camera was reading fine.....the other was screwed up.

Jeff Harper November 5th, 2011 05:21 PM

What might help would be a reset to factory settings, but up to now I still don't know how to do that.

Anyone know how? Maybe by hacking and then unhacking? I wonder if that would be perform a reset to the original values?

I think how to do a conventional reset is not meant to be public knowledge, for some reason.

Mark, are you using a generic battery? That would explain it, possibly.

Kin Lau November 6th, 2011 11:02 AM

The GH2 like many other cameras, use variable rate compression. The less complex/busy and/or noisy the scene is, the better the compression, and data rates may fall below the max data rate. Example, shoot with the lens cap on (completely dark scene), and you'll get way more minutes. Shoot a scene of foilage waving in the breeze, or a slow pan of a city, and the data rates will max out with possible dropping of detail (infamous mud footage in the GH1).