Remaining record time indication all screwed up at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series

Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
4K and AVCHD on a Full Frame or Micro Four Thirds system with interchangeable lenses.

Old November 3rd, 2011, 09:48 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Remaining record time indication all screwed up

SO...I have several 16 G Transcend class 10 cards. When placed in the camera and formatted they have consistently shown 2 hours and 4 minutes available. This past weekend I noticed at about 1 hour into a recording that one of the cards showed 1 hour and 15 minutes remaining. As I watched it, it seems that the remaining time continued to increase past the normal 2h 4m. By the time it hit 2 hours recorded it showed 35 minutes remaining. Worried that something was amiss ( namely that it wasn't showing the correct remaining time), I took it out and put in another just after the 2 hour mark. Now the strange part. When I went to dump it to my laptop.....it only had about 14 G on it.....which would correlate to it having about 30 minuets of record time left....which is what the camera had indicated. SO it appears that the camera is showing a record time that is smaller than it really is.
Any idea why this is happening. It's occurring on multiple cards.
At the moment I'm testing on my other GH2. Right now it shows 15 minutes recorded and 2 hours and 2 minutes remaining......something is definitely wrong....

Mark
Mark Slade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2011, 10:05 PM   #2
Trustee

Re: Remaining record time indication all screwed up

Did you hack the camera?
Thomas Smet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2011, 10:40 PM   #3
Regular Crew

no hack.....
Old November 4th, 2011, 07:27 AM   #4
Major Player

Could it be that what you are shooting doesn't require the use of the maximum data rate.
Just a thought.

Gordon
Gordon Hoffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2011, 10:04 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Don't think so Gordon. Was using 2 cams....one just a little wider than the other (backup). The one camera was reading fine.....the other was screwed up.
Old November 5th, 2011, 05:21 PM   #6
Inner Circle

What might help would be a reset to factory settings, but up to now I still don't know how to do that.

Anyone know how? Maybe by hacking and then unhacking? I wonder if that would be perform a reset to the original values?

I think how to do a conventional reset is not meant to be public knowledge, for some reason.

Mark, are you using a generic battery? That would explain it, possibly.
Old November 6th, 2011, 11:02 AM   #7
Major Player

The GH2 like many other cameras, use variable rate compression. The less complex/busy and/or noisy the scene is, the better the compression, and data rates may fall below the max data rate. Example, shoot with the lens cap on (completely dark scene), and you'll get way more minutes. Shoot a scene of foilage waving in the breeze, or a slow pan of a city, and the data rates will max out with possible dropping of detail (infamous mud footage in the GH1).
Kin Lau is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series