DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-lumix-s-g-gf-gh-gx-series/)
-   -   25mm F/1.4 - anyone use it yet? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-lumix-s-g-gf-gh-gx-series/503135-25mm-f-1-4-anyone-use-yet.html)

Jeff Harper May 9th, 2012 08:43 AM

Re: 25mm F/1.4 - anyone use it yet?

Yes, Jeff, in a controlled environment the lens is very nice. I guess I miss the 40mm of the 20mm lens, the extra width was nice. The 25mm is definitely a nice value at F/1.4 at around $500. The 12mm has me spoiled, it is just such a fine lens.

Steven Thomas June 29th, 2012 10:50 AM

I also have the 12mm f/2.0. I agree, the 12mm is an amazing lens, definately a must in confined spaces, fast and wide.

I need to add the 25mm f/1.4 to my collection, it's looks great.
I'll probably still hold onto the 20mm f/1.7 which is also a nice lens.
I own a couple GH2 cameras which helps for event work.

Jeff Harper June 29th, 2012 10:51 PM

As time has gone on I appreciate the 25mm F/1.4 more each time I use it.

Jeff Hinson July 16th, 2012 03:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Harper (Post 1740949)
As time has gone on I appreciate the 25mm F/1.4 more each time I use it.

Harper...
Which ND filter did you decide on for the 25mm 1.4? I need to get either a set or a variable ND filter for my outside clips.

Thanks in advance,
Jeff Hinson

Guest July 16th, 2012 08:03 AM

Why did I not see this thread last December? Christmas video with the AG-AF100 and the 25mm F1.4:

Jeff Harper July 16th, 2012 08:13 AM

Jeff, I do not use a ND filter. I shoot so little outdoors, and am always rushed, I work without a ND filter. I also switch between three lenses when I work and the hassle of a ND filter is not worth it to me.

Ideally, it is much better to use a ND filter, of course, but I get by fine without one. I did test shooting with ND filters last year and the differences were minimal enough that I feel comfortable without.

Bruce Foreman July 16th, 2012 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steven Thomas (Post 1740878)
I need to add the 25mm f/1.4 to my collection, it's looks great.
I'll probably still hold onto the 20mm f/1.7 which is also a nice lens.
I own a couple GH2 cameras which helps for event work.

I must have put my name on B&H's "notify me" list because Fri I got an email from them that they had a few 25mm f1.4's in stock.

I didn't hesitate.

According to tracking it started moving in the system at 7:46 tonight and should be here Wed 18th. Like you I plan to hang onto my 20mm f1.7, it's too useful a lens to let go.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Hinson (Post 1743710)
Harper...
Which ND filter did you decide on for the 25mm 1.4? I need to get either a set or a variable ND filter for my outside clips.

Thanks in advance,
Jeff Hinson

Jeff, I'll "chime in" with my answer. I'm having good luck with the Polaroid ND Fader from B&H. I've got it in 37mm, 46mm, and 52mm sizes. So far I see no color shift and fitted with a rubber lens hood it gets so convenient to "dial" in outdoor exposure by slight adjustments turning the hood. Set shutter to 1/60th, aperture for desired effect, and "tune exposure" by turning the filter dial (or hood) until the meter indicates you "have it".

The 46mm size threads into the 46mm thread on the Lumix 20mm f1.7 (and the Lumix 14mm f2.5) but the filter thread on the front is 49mm. So I had a 49-52mm stepup ring and used that to hold a wide angle rubber 52mm hood (so the 20mm won't vignette). I haven't figured out what the front thread size on the 37mm and 52mm ND faders are, but I'm guessing 40.5mm and 55mm respectively.

I'll have to hit up a real camera store somewhere to see what fits. But I do like the variable ND filters, very convenient and some kind of ND is a must outdoors.

Jeff Hinson July 18th, 2012 03:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bruce Foreman (Post 1743902)
I must have put my name on B&H's "notify me" list because Fri I got an email from them that they had a few 25mm f1.4's in stock.

Jeff, I'll "chime in" with my answer. I'm having good luck with the Polaroid ND Fader from B&H. I've got it in 37mm, 46mm, and 52mm sizes. So far I see no color shift and fitted with a rubber lens hood it gets so convenient to "dial" in outdoor exposure by slight adjustments turning the hood. Set shutter to 1/60th, aperture for desired effect, and "tune exposure" by turning the filter dial (or hood) until the meter indicates you "have it".

The 46mm size threads into the 46mm thread on the Lumix 20mm f1.7 (and the Lumix 14mm f2.5) but the filter thread on the front is 49mm. So I had a 49-52mm stepup ring and used that to hold a wide angle rubber 52mm hood (so the 20mm won't vignette). I haven't figured out what the front thread size on the 37mm and 52mm ND faders are, but I'm guessing 40.5mm and 55mm respectively.

I'll have to hit up a real camera store somewhere to see what fits. But I do like the variable ND filters, very convenient and some kind of ND is a must outdoors.

_________________________________________________________________________________

Thanks Bruce...
A few days ago I ordered NDX8s/0.9 for both my 25mm and 14-140 kit lenses....hadnt read your post yet. Of course they are not variable...but should give me some experience using NDs. Should arrive today I will see how they work....not that much invested in them.
Do you take your protective UV filter OFF...when using the NDs?

Jeff Harper July 18th, 2012 04:43 AM

Ideally you should not stack filters. In the end what does it matter? Not much either way.

Bruce Foreman July 18th, 2012 01:10 PM

I've taken the "protective" UV filters off. I ran into no problem with them on Canon lenses (in fact they are required to complete weather sealing on the L series lenses when mounted on weather sealed bodies) but on the Lumix and Olympus Zuiko lenses I did begin to see some extra "flares" due to reflections.

So for protection I insure a lens cap is handy and cap them when not in use.

I also got some vignetting by leaving the UV filter on the 14mm Lumix when using the ND fader.

My 25mm f1.4 is "out for delivery", I'm on the "tail end" of my UPS guy's daily run so I get deliveries anytime between 4:30 PM and 6:30 PM. Doesn't matter much what time now, in a "freak" accident Sunday morning I took an impact to the face that required emergency eye surgery.

I have stitches to repair a tear in the Conjunctiva (lining over the eyeball), and stitches to repair a torn eyelid. Vision appears OK but I have to keep my left eyeball and eyelid "well greased" with an antibiotic ointment and don't know if I want to risk getting a GH2 all greasy trying out the new lens. I suppose I could just use the LCD...

Angelo Ucciferri July 18th, 2012 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bruce Foreman (Post 1743902)

I'm having good luck with the Polaroid ND Fader from B&H.

I also use the Polarod ND filter on my 12mm and 25mm. (They have the same filter size!) I like it, but you have to be careful because as you close the filter - it creates an odd "Hourglass" shape if you close it too far. So keep a close eye on your viewfinders, especially in bright sunlight.

Angelo

Jeff Hinson July 18th, 2012 05:28 PM

@ BRUCE....
Seems like you had a real bad day....take care of that eye.
Hopefully getting the new lens will cheer you up a bit.

Hinson

Bruce Foreman July 19th, 2012 10:05 PM

Thanks Jeff, for the considerate comments.

Yes, getting the new lens did cheer me up a bit. What little I can tell playing with video in the living room with only one eye working, I think I am really going to enjoy using it. The "continuous autofocus" seems promising but I'll know more when I can get out and do some real testing.

It's like coming full circle. I remember getting my first real SLR, a Nikkormat that came with a 50mm f1.4 "normal" lens that most of us had to "make do" with until we could afford that 135mm f3.5 (actually I saved up a bit and got a Nikkor 105mm f2.5 instead then followed that (when I could afford it) with a Nikkor 28mm f3.5.

But I worked a lot with that 50mm f1.4 (did a lot of low light work on Tri X and Kodachrome 64) and that is what this lens feels like although it's sharper, crisper, and contrastier.

Zooms must have made a lot of us lazy and I'm looking forward to working with this lens, the 14mm f2.5 when I need wide angle, and the 45mm f1.8.