DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-lumix-s-g-gf-gh-gx-series/)
-   -   How many lines of resolution for GH2? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-lumix-s-g-gf-gh-gx-series/503321-how-many-lines-resolution-gh2.html)

Mark David Williams December 6th, 2011 09:31 AM

How many lines of resolution for GH2?

I bought a GH2 and after some tests using the hacks available I used a pentax 50mm lens at f2.8 when viewed on my monitor I found the resolution was very good. However once recorded using Intra 176mbs which is a great improvement on the 44mbs I found the resolution to be not as good as my old EX1 with a Letus adapter and using the HDSDI out and recording to pro res 220.

Some have said by using the letus adapter I would only effectively be able to resolve about 700 lines indeed some did quick and dirty tests. If this is the case then I wonder how many lines the GH2 resolves? I estimate then maybe 550?

Does anyone know or have an idea?.

Joe Ogiba December 6th, 2011 04:18 PM

Re: How many lines of resolution for GH2?

My Pentax 50mm F1.4 @ F2.8 has less than half the resolution of my Voigtlander Nokton 25 mm f/0.95 @ F2.8. BTW my Panasonic TM700 3MOS 1080p60 camcorder measured a horizontal sharpness of 1000 lw/ph and a vertical sharpness of 900 lw/ph on camcorderinfo.com and my GH2 with Voigtlander Nokton 25 mm f/0.95 looks just as sharp as my TM700. The very first test I did with my GH2 was with my 50mm F1.4 @ F4 in 1080p24 17mb/sec mode and looked just as sharp as my TM700 in 1080p60 28mb/sec mode when viewing the videos on my 1080p 47" HDTV off the SDHC cards with my PS3.

Pentax smc FA 50 mm f/1.4
Image resolution :
http://www.lenstip.com/upload3/3134_roz.jpg

Voigtlander Nokton 25 mm f/0.95
Image resolution :
http://www.lenstip.com/upload3/3279_wykres.jpg

Pat Reddy December 6th, 2011 07:43 PM

Haven't really formally tested, but with the 176 intra patches, it looks to me to have significantly higher resolution than my Canon XH-A1, Panasonic TM700, and Canon XF100. This would put it on par with or better than the EX1.

Pat

Pat Reddy December 6th, 2011 11:06 PM

Okay, I just did a quick and dirty test with the chart and I got almost 800 lines horizontal and 700 vertical using the Aquarius 2 high bit rate hack/patch at the highest setting (24p at 24H) and a Panasonic 45 f2.8 at 2.8 to 5.6.

There are lots of lines false and real beyond these numbers (aliasing). It's a little surprising. Looking at video of detailed landscapes with the hacked GH2, XF100, and 5d2, the GH2 is the clear winner both in terms of apparent resolution and macro blocking, and a clean image. I would have expected numbers more like 1000 and 800.

Pat

Nigel Barker December 7th, 2011 02:40 AM

I have seen in reports of other tests that the GH2 resolves about 700 lines which is pretty decent & probably a bit more than the AF101 & certainly more than a Canon DSLR which only resolve about 600 lines. Don't expect the hacks to improve the resolution of the GH2 sensor they are all to do with adjusting settings for encoding & compressing the output from the sensor & are claimed to handle movement & shadows better than the stock CODEC settings.

Mark David Williams December 7th, 2011 06:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nigel Barker (Post 1701997)
I have seen in reports of other tests that the GH2 resolves about 700 lines which is pretty decent & probably a bit more than the AF101 & certainly more than a Canon DSLR which only resolve about 600 lines. Don't expect the hacks to improve the resolution of the GH2 sensor they are all to do with adjusting settings for encoding & compressing the output from the sensor & are claimed to handle movement & shadows better than the stock CODEC settings.

Nigel that makes a lot of sense! I have tested the 176 intra and the 44 mbs and the intra resolution looks no better but the colour is very different. The 44mb seems to use a lot of red.

The defiantion on my monitor using the GH2 hdmi out is a lot better than is recorded on 176 intra so the sensor has the information but its not being recorded.

Pat I'm not disagreeing with you but I think maybe the camera because of the bigger sensor from the af101 which only resolves about 630 lines might be resolving about 650 lines. This would tally with my observations when I used an EX1 with a Letus and could resolve more detail than a GH2 image which was softer.

Would be nice though to see some tests! My guess is definately no more than 700 lines. Numbers like 1000 or even 800 really can't be right in my opinion and I would like to nail this now.

Pat Reddy December 7th, 2011 07:39 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is a copy of a not so professional shot of the test chart. The chart was not evenly lit or truly perpendicular to the camera:

Pat Reddy December 8th, 2011 07:47 AM

Also, if you Google "Barry Green GH2 lines resolution", one of the first links will take you to his tests where he includes clean downloadable test chart clips that you can evaluate. He indicated 800 lines in ETC mode and less than this in 1080 24p. If you look at his tests, I think you will agree that 1080 24p looks to be between 700 and 800 in the horizontal.

Pat

Josh Dahlberg December 16th, 2011 03:01 AM

Interesting thread. Just picked up a GH2 with Panny 25 1.4 and Oly 45 1.8

While I haven't performed a scientific test, my XF300 very clearly resolves more detail (the XF300 measures in the 900-1000 lines range) so your findings with the EX sounds about right.

The GH2 is a big notch up in detail/sharpness from the Canon DSLRs though - just sold my 5DIIs - couldn't live with the excessive moire any longer.

Thomas Smet December 19th, 2011 02:34 PM

Resolution is not everything. I shot an event recently with a SONY EX1, a Panasonic GH1 and a Panasonic HMC-40. While the EX1 and HMC-40 resolved a bit more detail they were no where near as "sexy" as the GH1 footage.

You should be asking how much sexiness does the GH2 resolve. I would say loads.

Keep in mind the GH2 resolves a tad bit more detail then the GH1.

I find the detail level to be just about right. It doesn't feel like retro film from the 70's/80's that you get from the Canon DSLR cameras. It actually feels like modern digital cinema.

Sanjin Svajger December 30th, 2011 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thomas Smet (Post 1704629)
Resolution is not everything...

...You should be asking how much sexiness does the GH2 resolve. I would say loads.

Hahaha:)

Good point though! But for event shooting the practicalities of an EX1 camera should make it a more valuable camera than the GH2...

Christopher Ruffell January 8th, 2012 11:56 PM

Haha. Practical vs. Sexiness?

How much more resolution is the GH2 resolving than the GH1, would you say?