DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-lumix-s-g-gf-gh-gx-series/)
-   -   New Firmware Available! (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-lumix-s-g-gf-gh-gx-series/503350-new-firmware-available.html)

Patrick Janka December 7th, 2011 12:26 AM

New Firmware Available!

Now you can shoot 30p @ 24mbps. Jeff Harper, that should be good news to you, as I know you were conflicted between 60p and 24p. Should be a happy medium.

http://panasonic.net/avc/lumix/syste...gh2/index.html

Nigel Barker December 7th, 2011 02:12 AM

Re: New Firmware Available!

25p at 24Mbps for us in PAL-land too!

Waldi Krasowski December 7th, 2011 01:04 PM

25p in 50i wrapper... but still better than no 25fps at all.

Waldi Krasowski December 7th, 2011 06:14 PM

After updating fw, a footage @ 25p (I am in a PAL land) is brighter than 24p, also exposure meters shows around 3-4 bars more. I kept GH2 settings and light the same, Manual, 1/25sec. 3200 iso, Standard Film Mode all=0, noise is slightly thinner/less visible. Also after pressing record color shifting seems a tad smaller.

Patrick Janka December 9th, 2011 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Waldi Krasowski (Post 1702186)
Also after pressing record color shifting seems a tad smaller.

That was one of the listed updates. I haven't shot with it since I updated. I had two important shoots on Wednesday, and didn't want to update my firmware on the chance that it ran into problems.

Waldi Krasowski December 10th, 2011 06:08 AM

Has not been described by Panasonic, but after fw upgrade, I've discovered that GH2's external mic sensitivity is finally correct and well calibrated. Feeding from H2n headphone/line-out works fine (Audio Level set to 2). No need for sescom cable or any other attenuator! Previously external mic input was to hot, I had serious problems (clipping, distortions) with exactly same settings on GH2 and H2n. Now external mic input is MUCH better than before.

Jeff Harper December 10th, 2011 11:46 AM

Thanks for the post Patrick. 30p would be great, except now I shoot with a video camera that has no 30p, so footage wouldn't match! Still nice option to have, for sure.

Simon Wood December 10th, 2011 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Waldi Krasowski (Post 1702105)
25p in 50i wrapper... but still better than no 25fps at all.

What does that mean for post-production though?

If I am editing genuine 25fps (from a different camera) and wish to drop in GH2 25p in a 50i wrapper to the 25fps timeline will there be a problem?

Dennis Vogel December 10th, 2011 08:33 PM

Is it possible to copy the update file to an SD card in the GH2 instead of a card reader? My reader seems to be on the fritz. Has anyone copied directly to the GH2 and had the update work?

Eric Lagerlof December 11th, 2011 01:14 AM

Yes, downloaded to my Mac, transferred the file via the cable to the sd card while in the camera and it all worked. But you do have to prep a bit. Go to: Joint update service for Four Thirds lens and DMC-G1/GH1 camera body step 2 | Digital Camera | Digital AV | Consumer Products | Support | Panasonic Global
and follow the instructions accordingly. Apparently, you need to format the sd card and have the battery at full levels to get things going. Other than that everything seems pretty straightforward. I'm definately looking forward to both the WB improvements and especially the 30p.

Dennis Vogel December 11th, 2011 09:22 AM

OK, thanks. I found an old laptop in the house that has an SD reader built in so I'll try that just to be safe.
Yeah, I read all the instructions and have a full battery and an empty, newly in-cam formatted card so all I need to do is get the .bin file over to it.

D

Jeff Hinson December 12th, 2011 02:24 PM

Just fired up my new GH2 for the first time....installed the new firmware..and trying to navigate through this manual and menu..........whoa...lot of stuff here.

I cant seem to find the menu area to set frame rate. I see 60i, 24p, but no 30P or 60P. Can someone point me to the menu location please.

In case I find it before you reply...thanks anyway. ha

Jeff

Patrick Janka December 12th, 2011 07:49 PM

Jeff, 30p should be called High Bit Rate Mode. Scroll down a little bit to see the screen shot: DMC-GH2 | PRODUCTS | LUMIX | Digital Camera | Panasonic Global

To get 60p you need to be shooting in 720p resolution. It's the only frame rate, so it's automatic once you switch to 720p.

Jeff Hinson December 12th, 2011 08:39 PM

Thanks Patrick
I'm getting information overload just trying to read the manual

I think I'll just use my iPhone and forget it
Ha ha

Jeff

Jeff Harper December 12th, 2011 08:42 PM

Manual is a nightmare, but full of good information, if you can find it. There are SO many variables, and the manual is laid out very oddly, good luck, stick with it, it's worth it.