Shutter life expectancy at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
4K and AVCHD on a Full Frame or Micro Four Thirds system with interchangeable lenses.

Old December 7th, 2011, 07:28 AM   #1
New Boot

Shutter life expectancy

I like making timelapses and wonder what the shutter life expectancy of the GH2 is; how many 'clicks'. Does anyone know? Can't find the answer when I google it...
Ros Dok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2011, 07:48 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: Shutter life expectancy

If it's not published, then it's not published. Any number you get will be guesswork.

Considering most DSLR's are rated for about 100,000 shutter actuations, you can make your own guess.

Philip Bloom is a heavy user of time-lapses, and his GH1 and GH2 (except for the one at the bottom of Sidney Harbor) are all still working to my knowledge.
Kin Lau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2011, 11:48 AM   #3
Regular Crew

OK, really naive question here....but I'll go for it:

If the GH2 is mirrorless, is there still a life expectancy for the shutter?. Is anything actually moving when you press the button?

I do hear a click when I take a picture, but if there is no mirror - and the sensor is visible when taking the lens off - what moving parts are there to wear out?

Thanks,
Angelo
Old December 12th, 2011, 12:34 PM   #4
Major Player

Take a still with the lens off, and you'll see the shutter.

The sensor is always exposed, and then when you fire the shutter, the shutter closes down first in preparation for the exposure, and then opens, and then closes just like any other camera, and then opens again to expose the shutter for the EVF. So for every still taken, the shutter actually fires _twice_.

In video mode, the physical shutter is not used at all.
Kin Lau is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series