Looking For An Adapter For A Vivitar Lens - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
4K and AVCHD on a Full Frame or Micro Four Thirds system with interchangeable lenses.

Old December 23rd, 2011, 01:39 PM   #16
Major Player

Re: Looking For An Adapter For A Vivitar Lens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin McRoberts View Post
You can purchase them directly from Fotodiox
Yes, but it's $14.95 at Amazon and $29.95 directly from Fotodiox.

D
Dennis Vogel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2011, 01:41 PM   #17
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Smith View Post
<<is this Vivitar Series 1 zoom lens any good?>>

Older Vivitar Series One lenses were very highly regarded. Great build quality and great glass.

Nikon has always maintained backwards compatibility with their lenses, so I can use my 60's vintage 105mm f2.5 Nikkor with my company's Nikon D7000. Given the Vivitar Series 1's quality and interoperability with newer cameras I would hold on to it.
Oh, I plan to. That's why the dogged search for the right adapter.

D
Dennis Vogel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2011, 09:09 AM   #18
Trustee

I have the Canon FD version of this lens and it is great but I hardly ever use it. It weighs a ton on a small and light GH1 and is a bear to use unless you are on a tripod. They are built like a tank but it is a tank I would prefer not to drive to work.
Thomas Smet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2011, 11:53 AM   #19
Major Player

A couple of questions on this lens... I've been toying with the idea of a slightly faster zoom than my Nikon 70-210... however, the thing I LOVE about the Nikon is that it's essentially parfocal and thus a treat to use for stage performances and the like.

The Series 1 I have (28-90 2.8) is a nice enough lens, but absolutely NOT parfocal. Is this the case with their 70-210s as well?
Old December 28th, 2011, 09:48 PM   #20
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Smet View Post
I have the Canon FD version of this lens and it is great but I hardly ever use it. It weighs a ton on a small and light GH1 and is a bear to use unless you are on a tripod. They are built like a tank but it is a tank I would prefer not to drive to work.
Thomas, you are, indeed, correct. This lens easily weighs 2 or 3 time what the GH2 weighs. And funny you should mention this because just today I was wondering if there was some kind of tripod mount one could add to a lens such as this. I cannot see mounting the GH2 on a tripod with this behemoth hanging off the front of it. I shudder to think what it might do to the threads on the GH2 with this much weight hanging down.

I've seen large lenses with built in tripod mounts on them but never have I seen an attachment that could be added to a lens. I imagine you could build some kind of triangular support which could mount on the 'pod and create the right balance point for the camera and lens. But that might interfere with the focus or zoom rings on some lenses. A circular, adjustable device that could be positioned away from the rings on a lens would be nice if it existed. Does anyone know of such a thing? What do you do to support heavy lenses on your GH2 on a tripod?

D
Dennis Vogel is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series