Looking For An Adapter For A Vivitar Lens at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series

Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
4K and AVCHD on a Full Frame or Micro Four Thirds system with interchangeable lenses.

Old December 13th, 2011, 05:48 PM   #1
Major Player

Looking For An Adapter For A Vivitar Lens

I have a old Vivitar Series 1 70-210 mm f2.8 - f4.0 VMC Macro Focusing Zoom lens that I'm trying to adapt to a Panasonic GH2. I tried this adapter (

) but it didn't work. If there are any GH2 users who have Vivitar lenses they've successfully adapted for the GH2 I'd love to hear what you used.

D
Dennis Vogel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2011, 08:40 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: Looking For An Adapter For A Vivitar Lens

It all depends on what the old Vivtar mount was before. I have a vivitar like you and it was created for the Nikon mount and my Nikon adapter works great....but it is huge and heavy. :-).

Evidently you bought a Nikon adapter but the lens is not a Nikon mount. That lens was made for lots of different camera mounts. It should be marked somewhere on the lens. Do you have a pic or two of the lens and maybe a shot of the bottom part that connects to the camera. Maybe we can figure out what mount that is. It could have been a Canon mount, Nikon mount, Pentax Mount or a number of others.
Philip Hinkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2011, 10:43 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip Hinkle View Post
It all depends on what the old Vivtar mount was before.
True that. I have a Vivitar Series 1 for Canon. Bought the Fotodiox adapter for Canon FD lenses and it works great.
Chad Haufschild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2011, 10:11 AM   #4
Major Player

The type of mount is usually printed near or on the rear flange of the lens - F, FD, O/OM are some of the common types.
Old December 16th, 2011, 01:23 PM   #5
Major Player

@Kevin: I don't see anything printed or stamped on the rear flange of the lens. But, read on ...

@Philip: I double checked and the Vivitar lens is a Nikon mount. It came from my wife's old Nikon FG. I found the cam and confirmed it attaches to that lens. Unfortunately I sent the adapter back so quickly that I can't remember whether the problem was with the lens or my GH2. If I had to guess I would guess the problem was at the GH2 end simply because the GH2 is not one of the cams mentioned in the adapter description (see my original post above).

That said, can anyone recommend an adapter for the GH2 that will handle this Vivitar lens? I don't want to spend a fortune on this. I see some $100 and up adapters on the B&H site. That seems a little steep for me.

Oh, and before I go too much farther, is this Vivitar Series 1 zoom lens any good? I also have a Canon EF 80-200 f4.5 - 5.6. I already got an adapter for this but I'm not sure if it's any good either. I haven't shot anything with it yet.

Thanks to all for the info.

D
Old December 17th, 2011, 07:27 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Not sure why the adapter didn't work. My vivitar 70-210 is marked N/F on the bottom and the Nikon adapter I got works fine. Is the Nikon G a dfferent kind of mount than the F. Did Nikon have multiple mounts like Canon does? That could be the problem.

Here's one for G mount lenses.

Old December 17th, 2011, 02:32 PM   #7
Major Player

Philip,

I don't really know anything about Nikons. This was my wife's cam. I do note it is an "FG". You were opining about a difference between F and G mounts. I do see a "N/AI-S" stamped on the bottom of the lens just behind the aperture ring. I don't know what it means. Is it of any help?

The link you sent mentions a Nikon "G" lens. Is that what I should be looking for? Or should I be looking for "FG"? B&H comes up blank when I search for "Nikon FG adapter". In fact, it asks if I meant "Nikon f adapter"?

D
Old December 17th, 2011, 04:38 PM   #8
Regular Crew

It's hard to know exactly what you have and what adapter you need. If you could take a picture of mount and the bottom of the lens I bet someone around here could tell you what kind of mount it is and then you would know what adapter to buy.
Old December 20th, 2011, 09:03 AM   #9
Major Player

Some of the best simple adapters I've used:
Fotodiox Professional Photography Supplies and Equipment
Old December 20th, 2011, 04:41 PM   #10
Major Player

@Philip: Good idea! Why didn't I think of that? I will post a photo or two tomorrow to see if that helps ID this lens and help determine what adapter I need.

@Kevin: Yes, a Fotodiox is what I bought before for this lens. (See my original post for details.) I must have just picked the wrong one. I bought another Fotodiox for my Canon lens and it works fine. Good to know that among all the brands of adapters out there I managed to pick a decent one. Now I just need to find the one I need for my Vivitar.

D
Old December 22nd, 2011, 11:34 AM   #11
Major Player

OK, here are a few pics of this lens. Any help in which adapter I need would be most welcome. BTW, you can see the "N/AI-S" stamped on the bottom rear of the lens. Is that any clue as to the type of mount? I'm just not familiar with Nikons.

D
Attached Thumbnails
Looking For An Adapter For A Vivitar Lens-p1000455.jpg   Looking For An Adapter For A Vivitar Lens-p1000456.jpg  

Looking For An Adapter For A Vivitar Lens-p1000453.jpg   Looking For An Adapter For A Vivitar Lens-p1000454.jpg  

Old December 22nd, 2011, 06:13 PM   #12
Major Player

You know, I FINALLY read the first thread completely and clicked on the link to the adapter you bought.

The problem is not on the lens end (I assume it attaches?), but on the camera end - your adapter is for Nikon to 4/3, not Micro 4/3.

Since your lens has an iris ring, you'll probably want this adapter:
Fotodiox Professional Photography Supplies and Equipment

That's my best guess, at least.
Old December 22nd, 2011, 09:20 PM   #13
Major Player

Kevin,

Many thanks for taking the time to dig into this. I see this adapter for sale at Amazon but not at B&H. Strangely, B&H carries no Fotodiox products.

Anyway, I'm off to Amazon to purchase this adapter.

Thanks to everyone who helped me in this quest.

D
Old December 23rd, 2011, 08:19 AM   #14
Major Player

You can purchase them directly from Fotodiox
Old December 23rd, 2011, 12:36 PM   #15
Regular Crew

<<is this Vivitar Series 1 zoom lens any good?>>

Older Vivitar Series One lenses were very highly regarded. Great build quality and great glass.

Nikon has always maintained backwards compatibility with their lenses, so I can use my 60's vintage 105mm f2.5 Nikkor with my company's Nikon D7000. Given the Vivitar Series 1's quality and interoperability with newer cameras I would hold on to it.
Guy Smith is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series