Ex Tele Conv with Photos at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series

Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
4K and AVCHD on a Full Frame or Micro Four Thirds system with interchangeable lenses.

Old December 19th, 2011, 07:34 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Ex Tele Conv with Photos

I see that when I'm in Motion Picture mode, I can set the Ex Tele Conv On/Off for both Photos and Video. When in all other modes, the Ex Tele Conv is greyed out. So when I'm in Motion Picture mode, with ETC On, what does that do? Enable me to snap a photo zoomed in? How?
James Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2011, 02:23 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Ex Tele Conv with Photos

Let me piggy back here with a question that relates to your question James. I haven't done the upgrade yet.

Is the ETC feature available when in Photo mode? If so James, I would likely prefer to shoot photos in photo mode anyway, not in movie mode.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2011, 03:01 AM   #3
Inner Circle

ETC in photo mode doesn't make any sense anyway. Why not just call it what it is? Digital zoom. With ETC in movie mode the central 1920x1080 portion of the sensor is used instead of downsampling the whole sensor so it is not a digital zoom but is like using a smaller sensor camcorder. Because there is no downsampling the ETC image has no aliasing or moire problems.
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2011, 03:20 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Good point Nigel. I find the feature rarely useful, though it certainly has it's uses. I've played with it using long zooms and it was a lot of fun, and on one job I actually did use it for a single shot where it was brightly lit. I admit that shot did come out very nicely.
Old December 20th, 2011, 09:03 AM   #5
Major Player

ETC is useless for photo. The GH2 takes 16 megapixel stills. ETC crops that to 2 megapixels, greatly reducing resolution.
Patrick Janka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2011, 09:09 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Good info Patrick. That doesn't sound so great. I'm sure there could be an instance where it might come in handy, such as in surveillance situations, but overall for pro work, not so much.
Old December 20th, 2011, 09:43 AM   #7
Major Player

You have to remember that full raster HD video is only a 2 megapixel image. Professional photography is much more resolute. The reason being that it's a single frame, vs. a series of moving frames, and thus video quality has to be more forgiving in terms of resolution/quality.
Patrick Janka is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series