DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-lumix-s-g-gf-gh-gx-series/)
-   -   GH2 Hack - Driftwood's Aquamotion (88Mbps) and Transend Cards (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-lumix-s-g-gf-gh-gx-series/504377-gh2-hack-driftwoods-aquamotion-88mbps-transend-cards.html)

Graeme Hay January 14th, 2012 10:08 AM

GH2 Hack - Driftwood's Aquamotion (88Mbps) and Transend Cards

I recently upgraded/hacked my GH2 with Driftwood's Aquamotion which gives me 88Mbps, which is amazing video quality (big leap). That said I'm using 16GB Transend Class 10 cards and they seem to be working without issue, this is one of the cheaper "in-store" brands I could find and I'm quite happy to of picked some up (on sale no less).

Happy Shooting!

Martyn Hull January 14th, 2012 10:50 AM

Re: GH2 Hack - Driftwood's Aquamotion (88Mbps) and Transend Cards

How much less video do you get per card.

Evan Lloyd January 15th, 2012 12:32 PM

I'm a bit lost on how to hack my camera. Is the hack free or is there a fee? Where do you download it? Any specific info is much appreciated.

Bill Bruner January 15th, 2012 03:52 PM

It is free (but if you can afford it, you should go over to personal-view.com and make a donation).

A few folks have put together "quick start guides":

An EZ Guide to Hacking the Panasonic GH2 | Sam Mallery

How to hack the Panasonic GH2 *Updated* - OSGFilms

Hope this is helpful,

Bill
Hybrid Camera Revolution

Kevin McRoberts January 17th, 2012 11:23 AM

I've also had good luck with the Transcend cards (8, 16, 32, and 64) with hack settings up to Driftwood's "TerraQuake," which I think is about 146-166mbps. They're very good cards for the price.

Build quality is a little below the Panasonic Golds, and I did have one Transcend fail after an unintentional trip through the washer.

As to "how much less..." Well, assuming you're normally shooting 24mpbs, you can generally do the math to get a ballpark estimate... so with a GOP1 176mb hack, you're going to get a little under 1/7th the duration. This is an estimate because a number of the hacks vary their recording bitrate depending upon the amount of movement and detail present in a scene, and may yield higher record times in less complicated scenes.

Roy Feldman January 19th, 2012 06:35 AM

With Quantum 9b I am getting a little over 1G per minute

Matthew Roddy January 19th, 2012 05:44 PM

I'm not sure if this is Off Topic or not, but it might be useful for others to hear the Replies here.

I don't understand how these hacks work with current cards - even class 10.
If I understand correctly (which is rare, I'll say that up front), a Class 10 card us approved for up to 30mbps, right?
The hacks are 40mbps, 88mbps, 144mbps and up! How is the data being written to a card that is supposed to be at about 30?
Clearly it works, so what am I not understanding here?
Thanks in advance.

Nigel Barker January 21st, 2012 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matthew Roddy (Post 1710427)
I'm not sure if this is Off Topic or not, but it might be useful for others to hear the Replies here.

I don't understand how these hacks work with current cards - even class 10.
If I understand correctly (which is rare, I'll say that up front), a Class 10 card us approved for up to 30mbps, right?
The hacks are 40mbps, 88mbps, 144mbps and up! How is the data being written to a card that is supposed to be at about 30?
Clearly it works, so what am I not understanding here?
Thanks in advance.

You are confusing bits & bytes. There are 8 bits to the byte & the cards are certified for 30MBytes/sec whereas the video files are recording at 40Mbits/sec etc. The cards will be plenty fast enough.

Matthew Roddy January 21st, 2012 11:40 PM

Confusing bits with bytes. whatadope. Sorry. That should have been obvious to me.

Thanks for the answer, and Thanks for not making fun of my old age. ;-)