DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-lumix-s-g-gf-gh-gx-series/)
-   -   Sennheiser EW 100 wireless mic setup, will it work on GH2? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-lumix-s-g-gf-gh-gx-series/504412-sennheiser-ew-100-wireless-mic-setup-will-work-gh2.html)

Jesse James January 15th, 2012 06:36 PM

Sennheiser EW 100 wireless mic setup, will it work on GH2?

I know I'll need a step down adapter for the stereo plug, mini plug from EW 100 to 2.5mm super mini stereo plug jack on camera. It should work right? Anybody running wireless audio into the GH2 camera? Any gotchas?

Looks like the Zoom H4n Handy Mobile 4-Track Recorder is the best way to go and sync up the audio later.

Thanks

Roy Feldman January 16th, 2012 06:21 AM

Re: Sennheiser EW 100 wireless mic setup, will it work on GH2?

It will work, how are you going to monitor the sound :)

Jeff Harper January 16th, 2012 09:25 AM

Done it dozens of times, very simple. Dial down the audio in the GH2 menu to "2" and you should be good to go. Just use a setting on the wireless that you've used in the past, or test it first.

Audio quality from the GH2 is not the best, but is plenty acceptable. The new hack is supposed to improve the audio somehow, forget the details.

William Hohauser January 16th, 2012 12:26 PM

If you can, record with the Zoom and send the output to the GH2 for backup and a clean reference track.

Guy Smith January 16th, 2012 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jesse James (Post 1709607)
I know I'll need a step down adapter for the stereo plug, mini plug from EW 100 to 2.5mm super mini stereo plug jack on camera. It should work right? Anybody running wireless audio into the GH2 camera? Any gotchas?

Looks like the Zoom H4n Handy Mobile 4-Track Recorder is the best way to go and sync up the audio later.

Thanks

I have the EW 200 and have used it many times with both GH1 and GH2. I can confirm the recommendation to set the GH2 audio input to 2.

The recording will have some broadband hiss; broadband means that simply rolling off the high frequencies will not get rid of it. It's most noticeable through headphones and may or may not be objectionable. If you your production has background music or ambient noise it will likely cover this.

I have a Tascam portable recorder that also has noise issues, and just picked up the Zoom H1 for $100 that is perfectly clean with this mic.

Kevin McRoberts January 16th, 2012 07:57 PM

Yes, works spiffy.

If you can, find a g1 receiver (the blocky 9v unit). It has a handy external dial to adjust output levels. G2 and 3 units can do the same, but only through internal menu adjustment.

Jesse James January 18th, 2012 07:43 AM

Thanks for the help everyone, I have the Gen 1 with the 9 vdc battery.

Thanks for the Zoom H1 recommendation too.

As for monitoring my sound, I'm still working on that. lol. It appears the Zoom H4n box has a monitor jack that I can use.

Kevin McRoberts January 18th, 2012 11:06 AM

For very short interviews, I just record and then play back in-camera to review... retake if necessary.

Any longer interviews simply need something else.

Jeff Hinson January 19th, 2012 03:04 PM

Newbie question...
Isnt this a better idea than going wireless.

Mount a recorder(Zoom/Tascam) on a mic stand, place it on the alter by bride/groom/priest. Use the camera audio as a reference for sync in post. Even two recorders if there is a separate reader/speaker at another location. That would eliminate all the bulky wireless equip and the interference worries that go along with using wireless. Is there something Im missing here?

jeff

Kevin McRoberts January 19th, 2012 03:30 PM

You COULD do it that way, but then it's still impossible to monitor or tweak your audio while rolling, which can be bad.

Andrew Rowe February 1st, 2012 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin McRoberts (Post 1709827)
Yes, works spiffy.

If you can, find a g1 receiver (the blocky 9v unit). It has a handy external dial to adjust output levels. G2 and 3 units can do the same, but only through internal menu adjustment.

A receiver with a volume knob is available for each generation of the Sennheiser Evolution kit, known as the EK300 IEM version ("in-ear monitoring") and intended for use as a headphone receiver:

Sennheiser USA -Small Wireless Receiver EK 300 IEM G3 - Audio Receiver - Wireless Monitoring System - Professional Audio

I'd warn against getting one of these though, since the knob can easily get knocked. Having the gain hidden away in a menu has its advantages and isn't really an inconvenience when you consider that you should only have to set the receiver's output once for any particular camera, mixer or recorder and then leave it well alone.

Andrew