Sennheiser EW 100 wireless mic setup, will it work on GH2? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series

Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
4K and AVCHD on a Full Frame or Micro Four Thirds system with interchangeable lenses.

Old January 15th, 2012, 06:36 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Sennheiser EW 100 wireless mic setup, will it work on GH2?

I know I'll need a step down adapter for the stereo plug, mini plug from EW 100 to 2.5mm super mini stereo plug jack on camera. It should work right? Anybody running wireless audio into the GH2 camera? Any gotchas?

Looks like the Zoom H4n Handy Mobile 4-Track Recorder is the best way to go and sync up the audio later.

Thanks

Last edited by Jesse James; January 15th, 2012 at 07:22 PM.
Jesse James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2012, 06:21 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: Sennheiser EW 100 wireless mic setup, will it work on GH2?

It will work, how are you going to monitor the sound :)
Roy Feldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2012, 09:25 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Done it dozens of times, very simple. Dial down the audio in the GH2 menu to "2" and you should be good to go. Just use a setting on the wireless that you've used in the past, or test it first.

Audio quality from the GH2 is not the best, but is plenty acceptable. The new hack is supposed to improve the audio somehow, forget the details.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2012, 12:26 PM   #4
Inner Circle

If you can, record with the Zoom and send the output to the GH2 for backup and a clean reference track.
Old January 16th, 2012, 03:35 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse James View Post
I know I'll need a step down adapter for the stereo plug, mini plug from EW 100 to 2.5mm super mini stereo plug jack on camera. It should work right? Anybody running wireless audio into the GH2 camera? Any gotchas?

Looks like the Zoom H4n Handy Mobile 4-Track Recorder is the best way to go and sync up the audio later.

Thanks
I have the EW 200 and have used it many times with both GH1 and GH2. I can confirm the recommendation to set the GH2 audio input to 2.

The recording will have some broadband hiss; broadband means that simply rolling off the high frequencies will not get rid of it. It's most noticeable through headphones and may or may not be objectionable. If you your production has background music or ambient noise it will likely cover this.

I have a Tascam portable recorder that also has noise issues, and just picked up the Zoom H1 for $100 that is perfectly clean with this mic.
Guy Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2012, 07:57 PM   #6
Major Player

Yes, works spiffy.

If you can, find a g1 receiver (the blocky 9v unit). It has a handy external dial to adjust output levels. G2 and 3 units can do the same, but only through internal menu adjustment.
Old January 18th, 2012, 07:43 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Thanks for the help everyone, I have the Gen 1 with the 9 vdc battery.

Thanks for the Zoom H1 recommendation too.

As for monitoring my sound, I'm still working on that. lol. It appears the Zoom H4n box has a monitor jack that I can use.
Jesse James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2012, 11:06 AM   #8
Major Player

For very short interviews, I just record and then play back in-camera to review... retake if necessary.

Any longer interviews simply need something else.
Old January 19th, 2012, 03:04 PM   #9
Major Player

Newbie question...
Isnt this a better idea than going wireless.

Mount a recorder(Zoom/Tascam) on a mic stand, place it on the alter by bride/groom/priest. Use the camera audio as a reference for sync in post. Even two recorders if there is a separate reader/speaker at another location. That would eliminate all the bulky wireless equip and the interference worries that go along with using wireless. Is there something Im missing here?

jeff
Jeff Hinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2012, 03:30 PM   #10
Major Player

You COULD do it that way, but then it's still impossible to monitor or tweak your audio while rolling, which can be bad.
Old February 1st, 2012, 12:31 PM   #11
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin McRoberts View Post
Yes, works spiffy.

If you can, find a g1 receiver (the blocky 9v unit). It has a handy external dial to adjust output levels. G2 and 3 units can do the same, but only through internal menu adjustment.
A receiver with a volume knob is available for each generation of the Sennheiser Evolution kit, known as the EK300 IEM version ("in-ear monitoring") and intended for use as a headphone receiver:

Sennheiser USA -Small Wireless Receiver EK 300 IEM G3 - Audio Receiver - Wireless Monitoring System - Professional Audio

I'd warn against getting one of these though, since the knob can easily get knocked. Having the gain hidden away in a menu has its advantages and isn't really an inconvenience when you consider that you should only have to set the receiver's output once for any particular camera, mixer or recorder and then leave it well alone.

Andrew
Andrew Rowe is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series