Considering GH1 for Canon HF-S20 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
4K and AVCHD on a Full Frame or Micro Four Thirds system with interchangeable lenses.

Old February 5th, 2012, 08:13 AM   #1
Major Player

Considering GH1 for Canon HF-S20

I am considering a trade for my HF-S20 to pick up a GH1. I recently had a D7000 stolen and need a HDSLR to capture great depth of field in low light. The GH1 also comes with a Nikon lens adapter which should be great considering I have some pretty good Nikon glass. Is the camera really a good choice; the GH1 or should I be looking for something else? I've heard that the 1080P may not be the greatest.

Please provide your feed back.
Maurice Covington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2012, 04:56 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: Considering GH1 for Canon HF-S20

Maurice - sorry to hear about your D7000. I'm a GH1/GH2 shooter, and the GH1 is a great camera for shallow DoF video, and for producing great images with Nikon glass, but it has some challenges with dark areas in low light. The GH2 is significantly better.

That said, with shipping, your HF S20 is going for

at Amazon, while a

. Even with a

, your camcorder is worth almost $200 more than the GH1.

You'd be better off selling the HF S20 for $550 and buying a

and the Nikon adapter for about $26. For $250, you'll get much cleaner images in low light, plus an extended teleconverter mode that more than doubles the focal length of your lenses with little to no image degradation, some manual control of audio levels, on screen audio metering, live HDMI monitoring while recording, plus a few other benefits (to include higher resolution stills).

Still $450 less than the $1250 you'd have to pay for a

at Amazon.

Nice side-by-side of the GH2 and D7000 here:

Hope this is helpful,

Bill
Hybrid Camera Revolution
Bill Bruner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2012, 06:58 AM   #3
Major Player

Bill thanks for the response. Unfortunately, I've already made the trade so any difference in value is lost. I can't look back now. That being said, I've been trying, unsuccessfully, to use a Nikon 24-70mm 2.8 lens with the camera to capture video. I can't say that I've read the manual cover to cover yet but I have been reading. I understand that I must change a setting in the camera to shoot without a lens when using the Nikkor Nikon lens adaptor. What I don't get is that when putting this lens on, the image is dark as though the appeture is almost closed. Obviously, there is no appeture ring on the camera, is it possible that this is my issue. I've seen videos that demonstrate a way to alter the appetite but I'm not sure that I am comfortable with doing something like that. The camera works great with the kit lens but I'd preceded to use the better glass. Any suggestions?
Old February 6th, 2012, 01:34 PM   #4
Regular Crew

1st off, yes, you will need to set your camera to "Shoot w/o lens"

As far as adjusting the aperture, the less expensive lens adapters cannot control the aperture on lenses that lack an aperture ring. There may be a more expensive lens adapter out there that does this, but if you only have one Nikon lens it may be better to pick up some vintage Nikon glass instead.

At work I use a GH1 and GH2 with kit lenses; my personal camera is a GH1 with Minolta and Nikon lenses. I initially went with Minolta lenses (50mm and 35mm - 70mm macro) because they are good quality and less expensive than Nikon.

I traded in the 35 - 70 for a Nikon 80 - 200 ai lens (manual aperture) and I was unable to get decent color - everything had a purple/green cast. We are blessed to have a local camera shop that buys and sells vintage equipment so I was able to compare two Nikon 105mm f=2.5 lenses on my GH1. One was a late 50's vintage and the other was a newer ai lens. The older lens has the yellow-brown coating and renders much warmer and healthier skin tones. It cost less than the ai lens ($95) and produces very nice images on our D7000 as well.

A friend told me that I can never go wrong with Nikon glass. The owner of the camera shop told me basically the same thing: folks will put Nikon lenses on their Canon cameras, but not vise verse. My $.02 is that lens adapters are cheap and I'm willing to use any lens that produces the result I'm looking for. If a vintage Pentax lens + adapter renders the type of image that I'm looking for at 1/2 the cost of a Nikkor then I'm happy with that. BUT... If you think that you may end up shooting with a Nikon or Canon than you may want to invest in Nikon glass. If you do go with Nikon, consider the older non-ai lenses because they are less costly, built like tanks, and produce excellent results on both Panasonic and Nikon bodies.
Guy Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2012, 08:06 PM   #5
Major Player

Bill,

The video looks great! I just haven't been able to really test the lens out in the way that I would like to. I don't think any thing is wrong with the camera itself rather I believe that it is as Guy has suggested; possibly the adaptor itself. That being said, it really doesn't make sense that it is an issue with the adaptor because the adaptor is made by Fotodiox a lens that seems to be used by others without issue.

Are there any other special camera settings needed when using an adapter. I believe that it was Guy that said that in low light he has dark corners. I am having just darkness (period). Any suggestions would be great.
Old February 7th, 2012, 07:02 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Maurice, I suspect you need to open the aperture. Put the lens on a Nikon camera to open the aperture. If you have to, contact a friend with a Nikon camera or go to a camera store with used Nikons and ask if they will help you by letting you use their camera.

If you do not have an adapter with aperture control then you will need one for the future unless you do not plan on changing the aperture from full open.

You are using a lens that is not ideal for the camera, but with an adapter that has an aperture ring you can work with it.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series