GH2 - more difficult than videocams or easier at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series

Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
4K and AVCHD on a Full Frame or Micro Four Thirds system with interchangeable lenses.

Old February 7th, 2012, 10:30 PM   #1
Major Player

GH2 - more difficult than videocams or easier

Do you find the whole concept of using DSLR's easier or more difficult than video cameras?
I think it's more difficult, slower and requires a lot more thought about what your shot is going to look like.
But thats also what I like about DSLR's and the GH2 (yes, I know it's technically not a DSLR, but "third generation M4/3's"). But the result is well worth it...isn't it?
Chris Duczynski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2012, 10:47 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: GH2 - more difficult than videocams or easier

It depends on what you're shooting, there is no clear answer that covers all situations. To say that the GH2 is better than a videocamera is like saying that a hammer is better than a screwdriver.

For certain situations my XA10 produces superior results over the GH2. It just depends.

I couldn't nail down a corporate gig I had awhile back at all with my GH2, I just couldn't make it work. I re-shot it with the XA10 and it was perfect.

For other things I strongly prefer the GH2. It just depends.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2012, 11:10 PM   #3
Major Player

I don't mean better or worse, I mean ease of use, setting up, composing, menu control, changing primes rather than zooming, calculating DOF. I think to use a GH2 or DSLR requires a better knowledge of cinematic aspects of shooting. It can be a "set to auto" and go option, but the best results from a GH2 seem to require a level of pre-production rather than set and forget.
Old February 8th, 2012, 09:35 AM   #4
Trustee

using video cameras like F3, FS100 or c300 is like shooting DSLR with all camcorder benefits,
but if you shooting with cameras like Sony EX or Canon XF it is obviously faster to push zoom rocker than change the lens and focusing is almost effortless, but regardless, you still have your shutter and aperture,
I guess it is mostly depends on the shooter, there are people who love green button and there are people that will never use it :)
Old February 8th, 2012, 11:04 AM   #5
Inner Circle

I stand corrected, you did ask easier or more difficult, not better. I say the same thing applies as I mentioned before. If you're using the right camera for the job, it is easier. If you're using the wrong camera for the job, it is harder to achieve good results.

A videocamera is generally easier to use, that is a no-brainer, but there are situations where the GH2 would be simpler. Are you using a prime or zoom on the GH2? What are your lens choices? That would be as important in making a decision as the camera choice.

It depends on the results you want and what you're shooting. In sufficient light the videocamera is the simple, easy, choice. If you need DOF, or low light capability, the GH2 with a fast lens is the obvious choice.

It would also depend on the video camera you have at your disposal. All things being equal, I'd choose my videocamera whenever I could get away with it. I actually prefer the images in many cases from my XA10 over the GH2.
Old February 8th, 2012, 03:48 PM   #6
Major Player

I've been shooting since Umatic days - then Betacam, digi-Beta, now XD. What I have liked about nearly all Sony cameras has been they are very similar in controls layout like White Balance ND wheel etc. I've also shot with Canons and find them similar but not quite as easy to use.
What I do like about shooting a GH2 or a DSLR with primes (why would you buy anything else) is that you do have to think about aperture, shutter, composition and menu setup a lot more to get the cinematic result. So, for me it's more difficult, more time consuming but a very pleasing result.
I know some GH2/DSLR camera shooters actually charge more per day for this reason.
Old February 8th, 2012, 05:19 PM   #7
Major Player

Jeff Have you updated or hacked your GH2,Can the XA10 give better quality video than

Its horses for courses though as i find my FZ150 with its 20x lens and i zoom on top better for wildlife than my GH2. All the best
Martyn Hull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2012, 11:24 PM   #8
Inner Circle

I miss the days of the PD150s. I agree that the Sony's have great controls. I loved my Sony cameras. I've not been a Canon fan in the past, but being on a budget the Canon has really been a life saver for me.
Old February 9th, 2012, 12:15 AM   #9

To some the idea of manual focus and aperture/iris on MF lenses is a big challenge. I am used to that because of use of using ENG cameras.
Lee Mullen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2012, 09:16 AM   #10
Major Player

In my opinion GH2 is more difficult to use.

Access to manual WB, iso, aperature, etc is certainly more challenging than on a professional (or even semi-pro) camcorder. External mics, dual sound, no headphone jack, no ND filter, no in-camera stabilization, lack of zebras, etc.

I don't shoot in controlled environments, and what I've found is that when I get it right the video the GH2 produces is beautiful! But I don't always get it right ...

Hope that helps.
Dave Mercer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2012, 01:56 PM   #11
Major Player

The GH2 is just a camera, same as any camera. You set your white balance, iso, aperture, focus and shoot. Just as you would with a video camera. The principles are all the same. Its just a slightly different workflow with a GH2
Old February 9th, 2012, 03:58 PM   #12
Inner Circle

Is a GH2 as easy as a traditional ENG camera to hold and operate? No.
Is a GH2 as easy to get a quick decent shot as a standard camcorder? No.
Is the GH2 ergonomic for hand held video? No.

Can a standard ENG camera or consumer camcorder get as nice an image as the GH2 for the size and cost? No.

That's the difference to me.
Old February 9th, 2012, 09:34 PM   #13
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Duczynski View Post
I don't mean better or worse, I mean ease of use, setting up, composing, menu control, changing primes rather than zooming, calculating DOF. I think to use a GH2 or DSLR requires a better knowledge of cinematic aspects of shooting. It can be a "set to auto" and go option, but the best results from a GH2 seem to require a level of pre-production rather than set and forget.
In my experience shooting anything well demands skill in composition, DOF and lighting. It's probably the use of zoom lenses that makes the 'difference', if any. One could go berserk with a GH2 in auto mode and a zoom lens on, too.
Old February 10th, 2012, 03:25 AM   #14
Major Player

The other great use of something like the GH2 is being able to shoot in public areas and events without having to go through the process of getting permits. The amount of red tape you have to go through sometimes is a joke. The little GH2 attracts no attention at all - another great bonus.
Chris Duczynski is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series