DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-lumix-s-g-gf-gh-gx-series/)
-   -   4/3 to micro adapter (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-lumix-s-g-gf-gh-gx-series/505773-4-3-micro-adapter.html)

Don Litten March 2nd, 2012 05:34 PM

4/3 to micro adapter

I have a Zuiko 4/3 25mm 2.8 Pancake and decided to order an adapter. Since this needs the electronics for the aperture, I wanted an adapter with the contacts. I expect I'll run across other 4/3 lenses both manual and electronic so this should cover them all (That are comparable with the GH2).

I couldn't find but a couple, this one on Amazon:

Panasonic DMW-MA1 Lumix G 4/3 DSLR Mount Adapter
by Panasonic
4.3 out of 5 stars See all reviews (15 customer reviews) | Like (1)
List Price: $169.95
Price: $114.99 Eligible for free shipping with Amazon Prime.
You Save: $54.96 (32%)

In Stock.

and one on Ebay that looks the same for $63.00 from HK...but I refuse to buy from Ebay.

Has anyone used this adapter?
Problems?

Jeff Harper March 2nd, 2012 11:03 PM

Re: 4/3 to micro adapter

It's the only adapter that will work. It's available at most large camera stores. Something like this I normally buy from b&h. It's the same price as Amazon. $114 is the standard price. It's made by Panasonic for Panasonic cameras.

It's too late now since you already have the 25 F/2.8, but the Panasonic m4/3 25mm F/1.4 doesn't need an adapter, is much faster. as is the 20mm F/1.7, which also needs no adapter. The 20mm can be bought for $300 new.

I'm guessing you must have got a great deal on the 25mm F/2.8 to have selected it, because for the money the 20mm F/1.7 would save you money and give you better images in low light.

But yes, that adapter will work.

Don Litten March 3rd, 2012 01:12 AM

It was gathering dust on the dealers shelf Jeff. $50.00 new in the box.

I don't really need it. I'm using a Nikon 24mm02.8 wide angle on it now...but for the money it was hard to pass up.

What I need to find a deal on is a Sandisk 64 gig 95 mbs card.
Half the patch settings I've tried tonight locked up on the chart of death.

The fastest card I have is 45mbs right now.

Bill Bruner March 3rd, 2012 01:53 AM

Don, outside of eBay, the best deal that I could find on a new Panasonic DMW-MA1 adapter was $106 at Unique Photo.

As far as your Sandisk 64GB SDXC Extreme Pro card goes, at present I don't think you're going to find one for less than $190 at Adorama, J&R or B&H.

Good luck!

Bill
Hybrid Camera Revolution

Don Litten March 3rd, 2012 02:47 AM

Thanks for looking Bill!

I guess I'll have to bite the bullet on the card.

I'm testing the different patch settings now and the one that's the most stable with the cards I have peaks about 40mb. It gives stunning video in decent to moderate light but has some noise now.

At 85 to 90 mb the noise just fades away but my fastest card can't keep up with it when I push the limits.

To be honest...I'm flat having a ball with this little camera. If it quits raining, I have a protest at the Capitol to shoot for OVN today and I'll take it for a B camera.

If it doesn't stop raining, it will be my Sony in my dive case and a GoPro or two.

Bill Bruner March 3rd, 2012 06:25 AM

Glad I could help, Don.

I'm headed down to Warrenton today, so I hope the rain stops too!

It would certainly be nice if Panasonic gives us a pro weathersealed body with the GH3.

Good luck with your shoot,

Bill

Jeff Harper March 3rd, 2012 06:27 AM

Don, that is a heck of a deal on the lens, makes sense. I believe I have an extra adapter. $75 if you want it, barely used. I'd have to look in my storage thing to double check I still have it.

That is a heck of a price for that card. Expensive but for that size and speed well worth it. I could shoot for ages with it.

Don Litten March 3rd, 2012 11:30 AM

Thanks anyway Jeff. I already ordered one.

Don Litten March 7th, 2012 10:00 PM

Got the adapter this evening.
The extremely limited testing so far on the pancake shows it's pretty sharp and it hunts so badly in low light, its faster to manual focus.

Jeff Harper March 7th, 2012 10:21 PM

Yes, F/2.8 is a tough cutoff point for low light shooting, but with the right settings and enough light you can get good images. I'm sure with plenty of light you will get extremely nice images. As a walk around lens it is a bit long, but with a very steady hand or tripod, etc., you will get some great shots.

Don Litten March 8th, 2012 06:54 AM

I can't say I'm unhappy with it. I avoid cities like the plague but on the way to Senator Obenshains party last night, I thought I'd take a couple of short clips just after sunset.

It did well for a quick setup at ISO's 400-600.A shot of Neat Video and some post should make them perfectly usable.

These are straight from the camera. . I do need to set the exposure offset because they always tend to overexpose using the meter.

Jeff Harper March 8th, 2012 08:15 AM

Outdoors the camera and lens is going to provide you with amazing footage that rivals very expensive camcorders. I love the GH2.

There is an art to getting the exposure right with the camera, just takes lot's of shooting with it.