Lumix 45-200 Zoom at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series

Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
4K and AVCHD on a Full Frame or Micro Four Thirds system with interchangeable lenses.

Old March 6th, 2012, 10:40 AM   #1
Major Player

Lumix 45-200 Zoom

I just received the Panasonic 45-200 zoom lens. My first reaction is that the zoom ring is very stiff and "sticky". It drags at certain points in the zoom range. My 14-42 stock lens doesn't behave this way. It slides very smoothly throughout the range.

Is this "normal"? Does it just need a few turns to loosen it up? It did just come off the UPS truck but it doesn't feel all that cold. Certainly not as cold as it might get on a 40 degree day outdoors where it might be used.

Anyone with this lens care to comment on how your zoom ring feels?

D
Dennis Vogel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2012, 03:42 PM   #2
Trustee

Re: Lumix 45-200 Zoom

Mine also feels a bit stiffer then some of my other lenses but remember there is a lot more going on in this lens then the 14-42. A lot more material and weight to deal with.

Overall I am very happy with mine when using it outdoors. I tend to not like zooming while shooting video with DSLR anyway so it hasn't been as much of a concern for me. I mainly bought it for taking stills when my wife and I are on vacation and I want to get a bit tighter.
Thomas Smet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2012, 04:28 PM   #3
Major Player

The long lenses are mainly for stills use. If you plan on steady zooms in and out while shooting video forget it - you need a servo on the zoom like camcorders and broadcast cameras have. I have the 100-300 which is basically useless to use for anything but framing up, but is nevertheless a good lens. I didn't buy it for zooming while shooting, but for long lens frame and record.
Chris Duczynski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2012, 09:43 PM   #4

14-140 doesnt have that problem.
Lee Mullen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2012, 11:09 AM   #5
Trustee

There is also the Panasonic 45-175 lens with a servo zoom built in if you really need to zoom while shooting video.
Old March 11th, 2012, 02:43 PM   #6
Major Player

Thomas,

Tell me more about the Panasonic 45-175 lens, specifically how the zoom works. I'm new to the GH2 and these newer lenses. Are you saying there's a power zoom for this lens? Where is the control, on the lens body?

I used to shoot video. I'm guessing the control on the lens is a little more difficult to manage than the typical body-mounted controls on camcorders but probably still easier than turning the zoom ring on the 45-200 I have now.

Thanks.

D
Dennis Vogel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2012, 10:09 PM   #7
Trustee

It has a tiny zoom rocker built into the lens. It is a slow lens just like every other M43 zoom but if you really want to zoom while shooting video it is really your best option.

Outside of that if you really want to zoom then I suggest a normal video camera since that is what they do best. As exciting as DSLR's are they are not perfect and cannot shoot everything. We should not pretend they are a perfect replacement for a $6,000.00 proper video camera.

Personally I like to use both because I realize there are situations where a DSLR will give me a more desirable look and then there are situations where a video camera will give me a better look.

I realize two cameras may not be in the budget for everybody but that is just the way it is sometimes for quality results. Honestly for what you pay for a darn good zoom lens you could buy a video camera of at least decent quality in good lighting.
Old March 12th, 2012, 06:19 AM   #8
Inner Circle

I have the 45-175 PZ lens and it's OK, not exceptional in the zoom department. The zoom is smooth but with limited variation in speeds due to the minuscule size of the rocker. I found the lens to be frustrating mainly due to the fact that 45mm is not very wide. Your subject needs to be at least 5 feet away just so you have some leeway to choose between a medium close-up or a tight close-up.

I have the 14-45 PZ lens on order and I will post a review after I get it in a week.
Old May 20th, 2012, 03:13 AM   #9
Inner Circle

An affordable solution, if you really like the zooming in and out look (I hate it) is one of those $150 follow focus rigs. Your zooms will be butter smooth.
Brian Luce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2012, 11:45 AM   #10
Regular Crew

I bought one of the Amazon specials and I find that I like this lens. Stills and video seem great from a lighter smaller package than the 14-140.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series